This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

Blog #11 10/30/12
Blog #10 10/24/12
Blog #9 10/22/12
Blog #8 10/16/12
Blog #7 10/15/12
Blog #6 10/03/12
Blog #5 10/01/12
Blog #4 09/26/12
Blog #3 09/24/12
Blog #2 09/17/12
Blog #1 09/13/12
Test Blog 09/12/12

Title: Test Blog (All classes) (09/11/12)
Description: Write about your favourite book, band or movie. Discuss why it is your favourite.

my favorite movie is conan the barbarian. It is because it has violence humour a good story and a good back story it also has some hidden meanings that not everyone picks up on.

Big Bang! The famous five memebered boy band that hailed from South Korea. It is composed of the fiesty leader GDragon, charismatic rapper TOP, main vocal Taeyang, soulful Daesung and last but not the least dancing machine Seungri.

They have been labeled the "Revolutionary Group of Korean Music Wave" for their unique urban music and bizarre fashion sense. All the memebers are involved in composing and producing songs in their album. Their hit song "Lies" came to be the group's turning point. It's a song that conveys the feelings of a man after realizing how much pain he caused his girlfriend. It is also one of my favoured songs that I never get tired of listening to.

Korean pop has its own charm, that explains the reason why I was so enticed by it since I was at the age of 15. 

When thinking of my favourite author, Ellen Hopkins definitely comes to mind. Her style of writing is not only written in a sort of poetry form but also her format and the way she lays out her sentences sometimes is artwork. It’s very appealing and grabs the reader’s attention.  Her books  are fiction mostly dealing with drug addiction.

Article posted September 12, 2012 at 06:12 AM GMT • comment • Reads 51

I would say that my favorite type of movies are cheesy ones from the 80's and erly 90's. Something I can watch with my kids like the "Goonies". Classic.

Favourites. It is hard for me to label anything a favourite because there is just so much out there, especially between bands and movies etc. It depends on the mood I'm in. When I am feeling serenity or at peace I doubt I would be able to state that Metallica (as an example) is my favourite band, and on the other hand, in a painted scenario of energy I'm not going to say that the Eagles (as another example) are my favourite band. If I had to pin something with "favourite" it would be “diversity.”

The Academy Is..  No, that's not a sentence, but actually the name of my favorite band

-though they broke up recently this year- led (formerly) by their front man William Beckett. One of the first bands signed to Pete Wentz's (of Fall Out Boy); Decaydence label, their best album in my opinion would be their "Almost Here" album with their best song being "Black Mamba" from said album. One thing I personally liked about them is that they never named their songs after any of the lyrics, which is just a little pet peeve I have towards certain artists/bands, although they did name this one album after one of their songs, it's not something they usually tended to do.

<- The Academy Is.. "Almost Here" album art.

My feavourite movie is peepli live.It is a good movie but movie script is excellent. Every character in the movie related to a normal person life. this movie shows how a media and politicians will use the people for their own benefit. " peepli live" story belong to a farmer who lives in a village.Natha  and Budhiya are brothers who had taken a loan against their land because they are very poor farmers. Their only source of livelihood is put under the hammer when they fail to repay the money.They try to find the help from local politician, whose job is to serve the people. But he said  if farmer commit suicide then government gives compensation to the families .But both  brothers ignore his suggestion, but later  Budiya convinces Natha to sacrifice his life.They decide to commit suicide.   Their decision is leaked to the media and the resulting is,Natha becomes the story of every news channel.Reporters interview everyone even the children about their father and their life in general, take cute pictures of them cradling kids because  journalists do anything for the sake of TRP ratings. it is the election time and  all  politicians wants vote from people so they  running in the village  and they promises to help Natha and his family with everything but what he needs: money to pay his loan and save his farm. All speculate on when he will commit suicide. When Natha goes into the field for a bathroom break, he disappears because he is escaping from the media and politician circus in his house. In the closing scene we see that Natha is working as a construction worker in Delhi.I like this movie because it shows the real life of what happens to the person who is powerless.

My favourite movie would have to be Ted. It is my favourite because its about a teddy bear that drinks smokes and swears. Normally you would think it would be a kid movie but its not even close. This movie is funny and think its a movie everyone should watch

I have 2 cats. One male and one female. My male cat's name is Tigger and my female cat's name is Samira. I bought Tigger from Petland in 2003. I rescued Samira from a petstore next to the Vet clinic I was working at in 2007. The petstore closed and the owner abandoned 3 cats. I took one my cousin took one and a co-worker took one. Tigger is 9 this year. wow i cant believe I've had him for 9 years already. i still remember the day i saw him in the petstore. Samira is 5. At first Tigger hated Samira but now you cant separate them. Tigger is scared of my daughter Alyssa but Samira is warming up to her.

My favorite band is Guns and rosses they are the gretest band ever.There songs jack me up.Even there newer album is good . Most peoplr would disagree but screw them.The reason i like them is because i have been listning to them since i was a tike.My cousin got me into them appetite for distruction was greatest album ever.The 25 year anniversary was last month.Anyways they rock.lol

My favorite band would have to be at the moment ''The Band''.    Two years ago at Folk Fest Levon Helm performed, it was a pretty awesome show.   Sadly Levon Helm passed away on april 19th this year of throat cancer at the age of 71.

My Favorite movie is Midnight Cowboy.

Article posted September 14, 2012 at 08:21 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 373

My favorite movie or I should say ONE OF my favorite movies is Titanic. It is my favorite because it's romantic and historical. It is based on a real life Ship that sank in April of 1912. It sank 100 years ago... the year now is 2012. It is the year 2012 as I am writing this right now... so the Titanic sank a century ago in The Atlantic Ocean. The Titanic departed from Southampton, United Kingdom, and was headed to New York City, United States. The Titanic hit an iceberg and that was the cause of the ship sinking. The Titanic was one of the largest ships of its time.

My favortie movie is ninja turtle's the first real movie! I have no idea why it's my favorite movie but I've always loved it!

My favorite movie of all time is A nightmare on Elm street.

My favorite book is 50 shades of grey....enough said!!  

Mgk - is my favortite, i guess it's not band but rapper. I just heard about him a year ago but i love him & he's so sexy.

Since I started reading at 4 years old really can't pick just one book as my favourite. I have read and collected many different authors and styles of work for years. Books I find the most entertaining, I tend to keep to re-read over and over. My book cases now hold over 1500 assorted books. 

Write about your favourite book, band or movie. Discuss why it is your favourite.

My favorite movie would have to be "Crash". The reason it is one of my favorite movies is because it shows how peoples ignorance effects others and also how there are going to be times where you have to set it aside and do the right thing and help them out because everyone is human, nmo matter what their race or backround is

50 shades of grey......enough said on that !!!! 

winnipegs most is my favorite group,they're inspirational to not only young people,but people of all ages.The best thing about them is they rap about real life.Life on the street,the struggles associated with that lifestyle,which personally relates to me in alot of different ways.They all had thier own battles,but also show that alot of sterotypes of native people,as well as so called "criminals'. they also prove that anyone can turn thier lives around,its just how bad you want to.

It’s hard to say which band or movie is my favourite, I don’t read books to often but if I had to pick what my favourite book is I’m going with the autobiography on Slash. It is very interesting hearing his point of view not only on his life but his experiences with Guns and Roses. Slash has been one of my favourite guitarists for as long as I can remember, although I must admit he has had a really messed up life but as he says in his autobiography “It made me who I am today”. I would recommend to any Slash fans who have not read this book to do so. You might be surprised what you read.

Article posted September 20, 2012 at 08:31 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 69

I enjoy doing my exercise class which is Tuesday & Friday mornings at Donwood South. Our exercise class is with Winnipeg In Motion. When I first started my class, I had four ladies,who were over 90 years old, Elizabeth Buller had her 100th birthday and she came down every time. We had arranged for "The Herald Newspaper" to be at our place for pictures and a story. I enjoy working with Seniors.

Article posted September 25, 2012 at 09:19 AM GMT • comment • Reads 66

Responding to what is my favorite movie, book or music.

The first thing that came to mind is a book series called The Dark Tower by Stephen King. It is without a doubt, hands down my preferred choice. It follows a last of his kind gunslinger, a sort of hero, on his quest to stop the destruction of the Dark Tower, which is a linchpin of all existence. It’s set in a post-apocalyptic future version of our world and mixes western, science fiction and horror all in one.

The author started writing this early on in his career and took a break from it to write his other well-known novels. Afterwards he finished this series around the year 2004 and tied in several places and characters from previous writings which created a multiverse of its own for Stephen King followers (which I think is super cool). Reading this series still drives me today to read his other unread stories because it satisfies my need to complete the back stories on certain characters that the gunslinger runs into throughout his journey. I definitely recommend this to anyone to at least give it a shot and the first book is only a couple bucks at a used book store anywhere in the city.

Here’s the web address to the Stephen King website if you’re interested and want to learn more about him….

[LINK]

…and to the Dark Tower website…..

[LINK]

-Adam

My favourite Movie is Lord of the rings just because it has so much diffrent characters and a whole bunch of nice scenes.

It is hard to decide which movie is my favourite, because of how many movies I have seen over the past 22 years. However, Catch Me If You Can will always be one of my favourites. The actors in the movie, Leonardo Dicaprio, Tom Hanks, and Christopher Walken, elevate the movie to another level. Also the fact that the movie is based on a true story makes it so much more interesting. Leonardo Dicaprio plays Frank Abegnale Jr who was a young con artist many years ago. The lifestyle he portrays in the movie and the cons he was able to pull off really could not be done today. It was a different time in world where the security of banks, airports, hospitals and even personal identification are nowhere near as sophisticated as they are today. While I watched the movie I couldn’t think of Frank Abegnale as a hardened criminal who stole millions of dollars from dozens of countries, even though that’s exactly what he did. His charm and allure makes the audience want to see him victorious in the end, which in a way he was. The FBI knew he would be extremely valuable to them on their side, and he helped create many security programs that are still used today. To me it’s truly a great story, and Spielberg captured it so well.

Article posted September 25, 2012 at 07:37 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 124

The concept of favouritism is difficult for me to accept; it sounds normal on paper, but in practice, it’s tantamount to discrimination. Supposing you have more than one child, there’s always that one, that, if he/she got lost in the supermarket, you’d actually have to decide whether or not to have him/her paged to the front of the store. It wouldn’t be fair, so I’m going to be neutral. Like Switzerland! I know I’m simply trying too hard to sound like I have anything resembling real conviction, which is arduous for someone whose opinions go back and forth like a ping-pong ball, but the thought of segregating things under the labels “good” or “bad” seems like a practice in futility if we’re trying to elect favourites. Perfection is non-existent, because if it were real, there’d be no room for improvement, which is simply impossible. Since everything I’m thinking of is great in its own way, there’s nothing superior enough for me to believe it’s my… *sigh* “favourite.” Urgh. …On the other hand, subjecting things to diatribe for my own amusement is something I indulge in, meaning I can in fact recognise that which I don’t care for and separate it from what I do like, as any mentally sufficient living being can, and needs to be able to do, so… it seems as if I’m nothing but a discriminating hypocrite whose mouth has just erupted with a good couple hundred words of empty talk.

My favourit movie is history movie. because i would like to know all about our world.I also enjoy Love story movie or book. I forgot about comedy movie. I really love comedy movie too.because sometimes we need to laugh and enjoy the movie.

My favourite book is anything by the author Terry Brooks. He writes fantasy novels. I really like him as an author because he is very descriptive in his writing. When you are reading his novels you can almost visualize what he is writing about. He wrote the screenplay for Star Wars The Phantom Menace and Hook among others. That is why he is my favourite author.

Article posted September 20, 2012 at 08:42 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 73

My favorite movie was "Enough" with the actris Jennifer Lopez and many more that I can talk about it. Enough for me was a good movie and emotional.

The movie was intence with a lot of suspence, and I loved the way she was acting. I enjoy it very much and some time is a good advice for many women's out there, to stand-up and not let anybody to abuse them. Many women's are abused for their partners ,and they don't want to tell no one because of they fears or their cultures. I think no body has the right to abuse us and we have to fight for our women's right .

My favourite movie is Pretty Woman. It is a romantic comedy. It features two great Hollywood stars, Richard Gere and Julia Roberts. It is an older movie from 1989. I saw it in a theatre when it first came out. I watched it many times since then, and it still continues to be my favourite movie to this day.

Article posted September 20, 2012 at 08:31 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 119

My favourite movie would have to be The Avengers. It had a great storyline, connecting other movies like Thor, Iron Man 2 and Captain America into it. The actors in it played their roles fantastic.

Well it would be too hard to think of my favorite rapper. Soo i'll just talk bout my favorite song at the moment. It's by Jelly Roll the songs called Ridin all alone. It's my favorite because its some real ish, and because i relate to it. He's basiclly talking about the struggles he goes through everyday. If you like hip-hop like that n havent heard it, check dat ish out..

My favourite movie would have to be felon . This movie felon is a movie about a family of three and one night a person had entered their home while they were asleep. The father had heard a noise and attacked the person that was in the home to protect his family, he ended up killing the person who broke into his home. The cops arrived and charged his for murder. He then spent time in jail for protecting his family. I just written a few parts of the movie here. But I liked this movie a lot because protecting your family is everything and in this movie that’s what is it about to me. Protecting your family and doing the time for the protection but I find it wrong for being charged for a person in your own home and you protecting your family from the worse. The movie is a good movie to me there is so much more to the felon I enjoy the movie.