-

This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by teacher: Jody Ferguson
Blog # 11 10/29/12
Blog # 10 10/29/12
Blog # 9 10/22/12
Blog # 8 10/22/12
Blog # 7 10/11/12
Blog # 6 10/03/12
Blog # 5 10/02/12
Blog # 4 09/25/12
Blog # 3 09/20/12
Blog # 2 09/17/12
Blog #1 09/13/12
Test Blog 09/11/12

So the class is nearing its end and I have to say even though I am not a morning person, i have actually enjoyed spending my mornings here. I feel i have gained some new skills here and met some pretty awesome people. We all come here from different backgrounds but are mostly all here to do the same thing; learn. One thing I really liked was Jody's teaching style. She gave us a wide variety of different forms of learning and teaching which is a nice refreshment. I really enjoyed the lyrics assignment although found it challenging because of the creative and analytic way of writing. I liked the challenge though. One thing i wasn’t too in love with was some of the group work discussions. I myself am more of an individual learner but sometimes i found the group discussions a huge help for better understanding some things. To be honest the course exceeded my expectation because i was expecting it to be a boring 3 hour class i would be dreading to attend every morning. Instead there was a lot of variety which kept things interesting and fresh. One thing i feel i have gained from this course is the ability to analyze things in a much deeper way than just black and white.

When I think of the thing that matters to me the most it would have to be my family. At the moment I live at home with my dad and my grandpa and to be honest I have the greatest relationship with both of them. My dad is like my best friend and my grandpa is the one person i truly look up to in life. He is so wise and smart and i love talking to him about any topic in the world. My dad is the best advice giver and i often go to him for advice on my personal issues and even when my friends need words of encouragement. They have never judged me or any of the crazy friends i have brought into the house. They are more than likely to genuinely want to get to know my friends who in turn make them feel comfortable and almost at home. I honestly don't know what i would do without them in my life because they have such an impact on me and who i am as a person.

When I write an essay i get prepared by first googling the topic and learning a bit about it. Once i have some simple ideas i will begin with a planning sheet and write down dome of those ideas. I will write them down point form rather than full paragraph to leave some space for further interpretation. Once i have finished my planning sheet i will further my research on the topic and write down any quotes i will be using in my essay as well as recording and sources i will be using. I do this to ensure that i don’t lose track of my sources and it makes it easier for me in the long run. Afterwards, i begin my rough copy with all of the information i have attained and with the points i have written down on my planning sheet. This is usually my least favourite part of writing an essay as well as revising and editing. After this is all done I will finish with writing out my good copy then I am done.

For myself, there weren’t really any interesting new things that I learned about evaluation sources using Wikipedia. I already knew that anyone can access Wikipedia and edit/change the information. Because of this I feel that Wikipedia is not that great of a source to use when doing a research project but it does have some good information. I think when using Wikipedia as a source for information you should use your judgement with the information you will be using. Maybe checking at more than one website to confirm what you are using is valid information would be a good idea.

It is already half way through this course and man has it flown by. It feels like just last week it was our first day. From day one i had hoped to achieve a new understanding of this different English course. I had previously taken the regular 40s Focus course which is the standard English course they offer in high school. This course is a lot different and deals with a lot more communication skills. I’m glad I took this course for that reason. My current goals are to work on my communication skills as best I can. These skills not only prep me for university they also help in daily life as well as at my job where I’m a bartender/server. To better these skills I think I could participate a little more in group discussions as well as pay a bit more attention. I’m not a morning person so I’m trying my best to work on that. Since i already have my diploma, I’m not only concerned with passing this course, but also getting high marks so the university can recognize that I’ve been trying my hardest to get my grades up to standard.

For this blog i had a tough time coming up with a quote/song lyric. The only one i thought that i could use and explain is: "In youth we learn, in age we understand" by Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach. I chose this quote because i feel that it describes the truth about what we think we know. When we are taught things when we are younger, at that moment we feel so great, we feel that we understand it. Truthfully, it’s not just learning something that makes us understand. We need to experience things to fully understand. For example, at my age I see a lot of my friends starting to have kids. They all tell me the same thing which is, "you never realize how much something could mean so much to you untill you become a parent." I, myself cannot fully understand this statement because i haven’t had kids myself. This quote to me is saying that learning is only the first step, having knowledge comes after along with the experience.

To prepare myself for this major assignment I started with a web. I pondered my main idea for a while making sure that I could fully explain it in a variety of ways and make all of the connections needed. I then used my planning sheet which helped a lot to keep me on track with my writing. I went through my two texts I had chosen and found a few quotes I will use in my assignment. Once I had all of my main ideas and quotes I then started with my rough copy. I made sure that my opening paragraph was the strongest and went from there. I began my MLA formatting as best as I could for my rough draft although I plan on fully correcting it for my rough draft. Before I begin my rough draft I will correct it myself and ask a friend’s opinions on what needs to be corrected.

Article posted September 25, 2012 at 05:14 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 33

For the representation assignment I did not prepare as much as I should have. I spent most of my time working on the visual aspect of the assignment. If I would have had more time I definitely could have been better prepared. I would have written down main points on a piece of paper to remind myself and to keep me on track. I find sometimes when people just write a huge paragraph and read it word for word it can be very boring to listen to. So for that reason writing down key sentences to remind yourself what direction you are going in is more effective.

Article posted September 20, 2012 at 07:03 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 35

A real life situation where you would use those skills would be perhaps if you were in the process of purchasing a house. For example, before buying a house you need to do your research. You won't go and make a huge purchase on a house that had crack in the foundation. You need to make sure that making such a purchase won't be a bad decision in the long run.  Most people don’t base buying a house on what it looks like. People who use higher order of thinking will go through steps before buying a house. They may even hire a realtor to help with the evaluation part in making the final decision. Also you need to factor in the cost and if it is something that you can afford.

I think that some teachers in school try to teach you these skills so that when you are out of school you are not set up for failure. Using these skills if done right will help you in the future with everyday choices as well as bigger more life changing decisions. But at the same time, you can’t learn everything in school. Some things you have to find out on your own.

For the writing variables assignment I chose the 'Flip-flops at the office?' article. The writing variables I chose to change were as the the following; I changed the audience from employees working at the office to employers working at the office. I chose to write a letter coming from an employee’s point of view debating flip flops being banned from the office, while trying to persuade flip flops being allowed. I figured the best way to get the point across would be coming from another perspective. The context is present time although written in letter form. The only thing I kept relatively the same was the main idea. The language changed when the form changed. The language in my letter is much more formal because it is supposed to be written to an employee’s boss. I addressed the fact why I was writing the letter and chose to use words at the beginning and end of the letter like "Dear Mrs. Smith" and “sincerely,".