Copyright (c) 2014 by Elise Mueller Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Elise Mueller -- Blogmeister

Our Wonderful Blog!

by Elise Mueller

Good Advice on How to Comment
Portable C Wiki
Acceptable Use/Parent Form
How to use Blogmeister
4/5 Blog from Maine
Internet Safety
Room 2 Dragons
Top Dogs
Science, Technology, Reading Academy in Duluth, MN
THE RINGLER FAMILY Travel Blog
Larrabee del.icio.us
Pudong, China 5th Grade

Article posted September 28, 2010 at 06:48 AM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 20219

Hello Readers,

After many happy years on Blogmeister, we are moving to a new blog provider, Google! The new site is almost ready and is waiting for the blessing of our school district. I'll keep you posted on the launch date!

Article posted March 12, 2010 at 07:41 AM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 126

What a fantastic collection of experiments and learning was displayed last night! From volcanoes to LCD screens there was so much to see and learn. Share your thoughts and what you learned! LOok to the left, under Assignments, to see what students have learned and what they are wondering about.

Article posted January 28, 2010 at 12:30 PM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 745

Wow! Lots of great thinking and sharing of books but the writing, oh the writing! If it looks rough it is...because we have posted our rough drafts. As we learn about what makes a good book review we are also learning to revise and edit our work. Look for comments that help our writers improve their craft. Feel free to help out by posting a comment with compliments and suggestions.

Article posted January 21, 2010 at 02:24 PM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 55

Well, 2010 sure showed up quickly! It is amazing how fast the school year is flying by. Third, fourth, and fifth graders are now setting up blogs and writing, writing, writing! This week has been consumed with the District Writing Assessment in Portable C. In math students are working with geoboards and a computerized geography program called Logo. Ms. Conlon is uncovering what students know about energy as she kicks off a unit on Matter and Energy. Needless to say, students are writing about all of these things. Look to your right for a list of recently published student work and enjoy!

Article posted September 23, 2009 at 10:04 AM GMT-8 • comment (2) • Reads 59

It is difficult to believe that ten days of school have already passed. We have jumped into the deep end of the learning pool, so to speak! Students are reading, setting writing goals, exploring numbers, and making terrariums. The first blog assignment is up and ready to go (look to the right, click the teacher link and choose Ms. Conlon's blog!) Enjoy reading about what we think about energy use!

Article posted September 7, 2009 at 07:39 PM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 42

Go! Larrabee opened its doors after a summer of construction on Wednesday afternoon and it has been non-stop activity ever since. Hundreds of boxes were moved into classrooms and hallways, waiting to be unpacked. In a repeat of last summer's late August days a wave of families, teachers, and communtiy members descended and brought order to chaos. On Friday families dropped in to match students with teachers. Now the fun begins. Students will arrive tomorrow and our year long learning journey will commence. Yipee!

Article posted June 26, 2009 at 09:11 AM GMT-8 • comment (1) • Reads 135

The end of the year was, as usual, a whirlwind. From the many field trips (WWU gardens, Fairhaven Park, Cornet Bay) to the many activities and assemblies things were just busy, busy, busy. Now, the days are slow and I find myself amused by what I choose to focus on outside of the classroom. Things I have learned since school ended on the 18th: >How to make ricotta cheese! Not very difficult and it tastes just divine. I don't think I will ever buy mass produced ricotta again. >How to trade stocks online. No phone calls, just click and trade. Scary at first but I am warming up to this. > That raspberry plants can rust. Sadly those little orange spots on one of my raspberry plants is rust, not a nice disease at all. It doesn't seem to have stopped the plant from producing berries but I have not been successful eliminating it yet. That will be my next learning goal! 

Hope this finds you learning new things too. Have a wonderful summer!

Article posted April 29, 2009 at 12:07 PM GMT-8 • comment (1) • Reads 126

Two weeks and six long tests later our WASL tasks are complete! Now, we are diving into poetry. Geometry with words! We started with the word "tidbit" which I always took to mean a small bit. Well, the proper definition is, "very pleasing bit of food, news, etc."  Some students felt that combining WASL with something pleasing was created and oxymoron. Others disagreed. Just like broccoli, some love the WASL and some don’t! Thankfully all of us are having fun with words; how they sound, how they look, and what they mean. Look to the left and click on the Poetry assignment to read poems from fifth graders!

Article posted March 27, 2009 at 11:22 AM GMT-8 • comment (3) • Reads 55

Today representatives from Qwest foundation came to Larrabee to present Ms. Conlon with $10,000 to spend on technology. THANK YOU Qwest! Ms. Conlon, Mrs. Young, and Ms. Mueller are all looking forward to exploring energy use and conservation through math, science, and social studies. Look for student designed projects coming soon!

Article posted March 25, 2009 at 11:16 AM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 85

All fifth graders in the state of Washington must complete a “Classroom Based Assessment” (CBA) in Social Studies. This year students took a look at the Stamp Act for our CBA. We wrote essays and created presentations that addressed who wrote the Stamp Act, what it meant to accomplish, and how it fit within our democratic ideals. Take a look at our Revolutionary War wiki page to see a few examples of our work and read the blogs from our Revolutionary War assignments to find out what students are learning about!

Alumni 2006-07
Alumni 2007-08
Alumni 2008-09
Blue Group
Green Group
Oregon Trail
Red Group
Revolutionary War

THE FINE PRINT!! This website is approved by the school district. All material posted by students will be governed by the Appropriate Use Policy, especially the district policies against bullying and harassment and the district Internet Use policy provisions addressing offensive language and transmission of personal information about self or others. Please take a few minutes to read the Bellingham School District's Appropriate Use Policy as outlined on the Parent Permission Form which is listed under Related Links to your left.