This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

Blog #4 06/18/12
blog # 11 06/16/12
blog #13 06/07/12
blog #12 05/30/12
blog #7 05/30/12
blog 10 05/16/12
blog 9 05/16/12
bolg 8 05/16/12
blog#6 05/02/12
blog 5 04/23/12
blog #3 04/16/12
blog #2 04/16/12
Blog #1 04/11/12
test blog 1 04/04/12

I have always thought internet is very trust worth resource however now I have learned there is also some false information since everybody can add anything. We learned that how to be aware of those false information by looking at the date and if the web looks actually trust worthy because if the website doesn’t have any date or updates, and they didn’t add it in 3 years anything, you will know this isn’t the best current web you can find valuable information. Comparing lots of website and another resource like books can also help. After I watched the video I gain knowledge, I never knew very big source like Wikipedia anybody can add it anything. I was so surprised to see many different language that wiki providing to the deferent world. I was amazed the fact non English speaker people like me can find their own language. English is very international language, however not all the people speak, so wiki gives an opportunity to those people.

Article posted June 4, 2012 at 06:41 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 34

I think that the internet if a very good source of information, but at the same time there are lots of things out that that aren't correct. Anybody can post fact or fiction on the internet so you need to sort though it thoroughly to make sure the information you are getting is correct.

I was particularily interested in the fact that just anyone can go on and add information to wikipedia without authorization or even any reputable facts!

I learned that there is a lot of information on the web that maybe isnt credible. I never thought that a lot of the things on line are just someones opinions. I understand now why its so important to do the extra research. It probably would never have come to my attention without this english class. I learned not to just google everything, but to take more time and research things properly.

Something that I thought was interesting during class was the fact that in a way the internet is taking over our lifes. For example anybody can go to wikipedia and change anything to what they want to and there is a certain time-frame before editors change the info to what is most likely more right than the stranger who changed it in the first place. The thing is people base their lifes on what is posted on the internet as far as knowledge gathering from sites like wikipedia which is not always correct. Even the people who work for wikipedia are not exactly knowledgeable of half the things they correct, because they can't study and know everything about everything. The reason the internet is taking over our lifes is because when we want to know something we don't gain the knowledge intelectually; we just quickly look on sites like wikipedia and don't pursue further knowlege by doing things such as reading books and going to libraries.

i learned that you an get a lot of good accurate information. but you can also get false/not accurate information too, or bias. so it's alwasy good to check your sources and look into them. its good to compare sites to ne another to see if its the same information , thats what i tend to do to make sure im getting right information.

Article posted June 20, 2012 at 01:56 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

I think the Internet is a great place to do research. There are so many different sites to go infirm different purposes. But at the same time you never know how factual and true those sites are. You really have to look into what you're researching and compare results.

The most interesting idea i got out of that class is that any information put anywhere could be made up its if you put the effort and time in to actually compare with different sites or different people to see if it really is true or credible. Another one is that many people dont even think of this and they just right away beleive that information i defenitly am not one of those.

Well I mostly knew not to trust wikipedia due to the fact that ANYONE can edit and revise something but with the fact that people like myself with no experince editing something that a professional posted is just wrong. Though Wikipedia isn't totally wrong because like in the video it shows that the man from Swaziland (can't fully remember where he was from though i know he is from one of the southern countries in Africa) can access information in his own language and which is very useful because not all websites, like Britannica, are in a language that isn't used a lot over the whole world. Considering the facts though, Wikipedia to me is on the fence of being both bad and good because a) it helps others to understand information i their own native language but B) it is able to be edited by people with out full experince in the certain field that they are talking about. This OWL thing is a good idea expecially for Wikipedia because being able to track down the resources used in an article to understand the point of what the person is writing about is the greatest idea for a place where we are all dependent on the internet for all the information we get now in days.

The internet has a lot of sources of information that you could research throuh. There are a lot of true and false information so you have to be careful on what kind of information you get because it is not always accurate. You also have to choose where to look and what to search for. You want to find accurate and evaluating the sorces very closely to make sure that its truthful. Don't believe everything you read or hear!.

I learned that wikipedia is not always the best source of information out there on the internet. I also learned that people other than the site owners are the ones putting up the information...wow did not know this. I also learned that more than one source is helpful in finding the truth and knowing if a site is accurate on it's information. I now know that the internet is not always the best source for information, books, magazines,blogs,etc should also be a consideration. I also now know that finding copywrite claims on the sites can varify if the site is fake or actually owned by the company displaying the information.

Shows how anyone can post anything online. Internet is a good source of information but you have to make sure you get the correct stuff. Always double checking your information is the safest. Can't always believe what you hear and see.

Article posted June 17, 2012 at 05:19 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

The internet is an easy reaserching tool to have at your disposal and yet alot of the information that can be added to such sites as wikipedia are very easily disposable. People can add whatever kind of garbage or made up stuff to certain if they choose, that's why it's important to check out as many sites as you possibly can reguarding specific information.

its really important to plan your work for your essay because you need good infromation befor you start to write an essay. this helps you put together your essay so everything flows properly. you should jot notes down and write a rough copy befor you start to write your good copy this will help you put everything together. if you dont do this your information might not be up to par. you can find ifromation to help prepair you to write a good eassy.

I learnt not to belive everything you see on the internet. that alot of the information on the internet is just someones opions not fact based information. Its very important to research your infromation though lots of sites and make sure you back up all your information useing as maney website as possible. compare notes from both websites to make sure they are both on the same topic. its also good to look for the publisher s name and make sure he is updating his site.

I am quite inquisitive and do a lot of personal research online. I have learned that it is important to double check with other sources most things that I look up even when I do think that I am on a credible site. I have also noticed that even government sites from different countries can sometimes have conflicting information, so it is important to compare information between sources and to dig deeper when things don't match up. I do use Wikipedia but only as a starting point. I also try to pay attention to who is sponsoring the site as I find that this may indicate if the information is biased. I am aware that numbers and such can be manipulated to back any statement and is another reason to double check.

What i learned from the information recieved is to always ask questions.. there is no such thing as a stupid question either. When collecting information, always check the source- is it reliable? Is it accurate? Is it up to date? What are the references? Is it relevant? And most importantly, if you are using the internet, check check and double check that the information is true, accurate, relevant and legitamate. Any fool with a computer can be published on the internet, so maybe going "old school" and spending some time at the library would do you some good!

I found it interesting when they were talking about Wikipedia. I did not know that it was available in almost every language. I also found out that you could have a discussion about the information on the site. The Discussion part would be very useful because you would be able to get a bunch of different opinions on the topic you’re discussing.

The interesting ideas that I've heard during class regarding evaluating sources and using the internet as a source of research is that, evaluating sources is important because I have to think and decide on where to look, what am I searching for and what to accept.I have also learned how to be carefull when doing research because everybody is out there trying to research for maybe the same topic I might be looking for and you so will be able to read thousands of studies on the same topic. And so I will have to take which studies have got the following sources such as reliability, validity, accuracy, authority, bias and special interests.

After hearing the discussion about how to make sure that sources are accurate and up to date is a very good topic because anyone can put anything on the internet and say that it is correct but really any average joe can put up information about anything. at least now after watching that documentary i no what to look for in a good and realiable source.