This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

Blog #13 06/06/12
Blog #11 06/01/12
Blog#12 05/30/12
Blog #10 05/23/12
Blog #7 05/09/12
Blog # 9 05/09/12
Blog # 8 05/07/12
Blog #6 05/02/12
Blog # 5 04/22/12
Blog #3 04/18/12
Blog #4 04/18/12
Blog # 2 04/16/12
Blog #1 04/09/12

Article posted February 10, 2011 at 05:53 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 87

Well, when I first came in this school, I thought wow the class is full, I took my grade 10 and 11 in McLeod, and we didn’t have this many classmates. Overall my first impression was great. This building is way smaller than the McLeod building, however I have the same teacher that I had in McLeod which is Jody. The teacher is very nice, she makes me relax, and the environment she creates is so pleasant. As an adult we have our own responsibility. To be successful in this class, I will make sure that the school is one of my first priorities. As a second language English is very challenging, but my goal is to learn and I have a wonderful teacher, so I can’t complain. To make sure I get this credit, I will submit all my work, I don’t have to do perfect, but I will do the best I can. Because if I leave my assignment last minute, it’s hard to catch-up

The course outline and what we have done so far is very interesting, I like the fact that we are doing a lot of practice before our major assignment. I feel that way I can do better in the major assignment. My goals are to get the credit, but also to gain knowledge in this class, and hopefully I will.

Since I was here last year or the year before, I can't recall, my impressions are genereally the same as last time. The teacher is nice and quite helpful, students are pretty much the same, classrooms the same as they were last time and same goes for the building itself except that I see they now have new computers in the computer lab. The work has been a bit different from the last time I had taken english, though it hasn't been all that hard so far considering english isn't my best, but I would say one of my lower end subjects.

What I will try to do to be successful would be, stay on top of the work assigned to me and not leave it to the last minute to get it completed, I will try to get it complted in class because I have more free time and a quiter enviroment than my house most of the time. I will also try to ask for help more often this time around if need be. I will try to have proper attendance as best I can, and only be late/miss classes when it it absolutely necessary.

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 06:15 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 36

My first impression of this class is that its very laid back and calm, this makes it very easy to learn because the stress has been removed from the schooling. The building is very close to where I live which makes it super easy to attend . The teacher seems very easy going and down to earth! I know a couple of people in my class, so for me thats good. The course out line is easy to understand.This semester  I will make sure I complete all assignments given to me , uncompleting them or not handing them in is my biggest down fall.

My first impression of the class was that it was a big class. Also that it was located far away!! I found the learning center to be smaller then what I was expecting. The teacher seems to be open minded and wanting everyone to succeed. This to me, makes for a good learning center. The course outline seems to be a lot stuffed into a few months. I plan on being a successful adult student by attending class, and doing all of my assignments.

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 08:13 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

My first impression of this class is that I feel like I can graduate in this kind of environment. This is alot better than high school because everyone focuses on what their doing and it creates a good atmosphere and I feel like I can get more work done. I dont mind the kind of work we have done so far it is better than what I would have expected to have been doing. The work we are doing tests your writing skills and creativity which is good. This semester I feel like I have a good chance of graduating by passing this course. To try and ensure that I will graduate I just have to make sure I do not miss too much classes and get behind in my work. If I can make it here and keep up with the work I will have a really good chance of graduating soon.

my first impressions of this class was it was a pretty big class. people aren't shy and their smart. i like my teacher , and the work we've done it's been easy so far. i look forward to some of the work were going to do but some looks way to hard. this semester i will use the time that i have in class wisely to complete all my work so i can get the most/best possible marks that i can. my little spare time i have at home will also have to be used to complete all my work but i know ill be able to do it.

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 08:07 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 36

Well week 1 is done and so far, it's been good. There's a wide range of different people of different ages. I love how condensed the course and how the course has been going so far. ELA assignents usually aren't a strength of mine but I haven't been doing too bad, the assignments have managable so far. The one thing I wasn't too sure about in the curriculum was the blog assignments but so far writing them hasn't been bad. Just not too sure how I'll do when it comes to having to comment on other people's blogs.

This semester I hope to be to every class, hand my assignments in on time and try my best at everything that comes my way. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult balancing my job and schooling but I'll see how it goes as time goes on.

My first impressions of this class at first were okay. The class was what I expected it to be and that is because I have been in this school before. As a matter a fact the first english class that I ever started was yours when I finnslly went back to school. The work is also as I expected and I also expect it to be alot more thorough then my grd 11 class. I will make sure that I spend my time wisely so that I succeed. I also am going to try very hard in my assignments and put much effort into them. This is my last class that I need to graduate as that will also be a factor in me trying my hardest to succeed.

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 08:10 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 122

My first impression of this class was that this class was going to be slightly boring because of going through this for the second time but not through this program. This program though is interesting and it is much better then actual school from when I was in High School it seems to me to be more interactive and easier to understand even though its condensed. The school work has not been that bad and has been quite easy, I think it may be cause of the 3 and a half hours of one class. So the class is easy and the people in the class are interesting bunch and its awesome because the more interesting they are the more fun the classes get. I got no choice but to do well this semester because if I don't then I am stuck still working for Quick Transfer and go no where with my life and thats just not cool at all. So once i pass this class and consumer math I am going to be applying for university and get into the classes I need to become an archaeologist. So really in the end I find that everything that I am doing right now is to become what I have always dreamed of and that nothing is going to hold me back at all from that dream.

Article posted April 10, 2012 at 04:10 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

I have attented this school before here at Transcona and all the people I have met are really nice people and they have been a lot of help, they are also there to help if you need them. I have had Jody before, I really like Jody as a teacher she is not to hard on her students and gives you room to finish your work if needed. I really have enjoyed the classes that I have taken. I have taken 2 math classes at the Transcona location and did my grade 11 english at the mcleod loction and now I am here at Transcona location again with Jody, taking my english grade 12. I have enjoyed the work we have done so far, I am not much into blogging but got to do it, it is not my favorite thing to do. The chourse outline and the work we are going to do is almost a like what we have done in Jody's grade 11 class before. So the work we plan to do sounds good. This semester I will do my work on time and take more time to do my assignments, do the best that I can with no distraction, attend class everyday so I am not missing things that are important. My goal is to graduate. I only know one of my classmates she was in the grade 11 english I was in and she is a nice person.

I find the new class very comfortable for me to work with, i feel like i can work better in this atmosphere. I have met several new people who i have aquainted myself with and we work well together. This is my third semester where i am in the computer lab fo rmy class and the second time i have Jody as my teacher so i know how i should work on all my assignments so far since i have done them before. I have one of my friends in this class and i am happy to be able to work with her since outside the school we get along great so i hope we will be able to help each other and vice versa on the assignments. I will focus on my work and not talk with the new people as much and complete my work at home when it is needed. I will have all the nessasary tools to complete my work as efficently and as quickly as possible. I will also help others if they are having any trouble with their work if they are struggling with an assignment, after i have finished mine of course.

My first impression of the classroom was that it was a normal size classroom with about the average number of people that would be in a class. I thought the school was small since it only has two class rooms. I have been to Mc cloud and this school before, I like this school better than Mc cloud because its quick to get to and doesn't have high school kids. I have been in Jody's class for grade ten English at mc cloud, I find it more easy to get along with her over other teachers in my past schools. The work we have done so far has been no problem to do. I plan to keep my walk up this year and not get behind like previous years. The only thing that is sometime annoying in the classroom is the pizza place next door and how much noise we can hear in the class room. I like that its not hard to find someone your looking for because its a really small school.

This semester I plan to keep all my work up to date and not fall behind in school again. I plan to get my homework done soon so I don't have to rush on the last minute to get it done. I also want to make sure I put all my effort in doing my best to get a good mark for this class. Skipping and showing up late made me lose a lot of information on work in school, I plan to not skip or show up late for school. Since this is my last year before I graduate I want to just get it over with and not screw up, skipping and not showing up isn't worth it anymore for me because it just becomes stressful trying to catch up on the work you missed and its hard to get it done without hearing the teacher explain how to do the assignments sometimes. My plan is to go to Red River next year so I need to get this credit done. Having things planned makes it easier to focus on getting school done.

Article posted April 12, 2012 at 04:53 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

Well, first week over and I feel somewhat relieved. I wasn't sure what to expect from an adult learning center but I really like it here. As an adult I can appreciate the learning environment without the typical high school concerns of " do I look good in this". The rest of my classmates seem just as eager to get this done as I am so we all have at least one thing in common. As for our instructor, Jody has a really different approach to teaching that I remember my past teachers having but maybe it's the fact that I'm older that gives me this impression, what ever it may be, I really like her style of teaching. The fact that we are able to have discussions and group activities is really cool because I think we all need to be taken out of our element once in a while in order to build our confidence. I will definitely do my part in showing up and completing assignments on time , this is good.

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 07:48 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 35

The class is good. Iam finding it very helpful and the teacher is great anytime iam confused she there to help right away. the work have been good so far. for this class i need to pay attention to everythinig and not dose off

I started attending the Transcona Adult Education Center in February of this year and immediately felt a sense of comfort here. I had been attending the Winnipeg Adult Center previously and didn’t realize how much I hated it there until I started attending here. When I arrived home after my first day of class I noticed that I no longer had that dirty feeling I had when I arrived home from WAE. The staff and students at the Transcona center are much more friendly and welcoming than I had experienced previously. I am happier here and feel that the setting here will be a benefit to my learning.

I was a little apprehensive on my first day of English class because of my being a true “mature “ student but this didn’t take long to fade. I enjoy writing and am looking forward to what this class has to offer, though I am already having some anxiety about doing an oral presentation. I am hoping that as time goes on that this will ease as I get more comfortable with my new classmates. Jody has mentioned a few times that this is really a communication class so I am expecting that there will be plenty of class discussion and activity that will help me with this aspect of my learning. My past experience with school has shown me that the most important aspect for success in class is attendance and I plan on being here to take full advantage of this.

Article posted April 11, 2012 at 01:32 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

so far, I love this class. It is not a typical ela class, meaning it seems like the ciriculum will hold my attention.. which is not easy! I have a passion for words, language and learning, so this should be an exciting ride! As far as the learning environment, I seem to be adapting very quickly to everything..which I did not expect. The other students are outgoing, and social.. I have spent the past few years as a virtual shut-in, lacking in the desire to socialize. I have found the teachers (I have 2) attentive and available. They both have a different approach to teaching, but are encouraging, and always have time for questions, which I have a lot of. I have not been in school for over 10 years, so the ease into it has been suprisingly efortless. I look forward to continuing my education at this learning facility.

My first impression of this class is that it’s a big one! Most classes I’ve been in here have been fairly small. I've taken a few other classes here so I knew what to excpect as far as the classroom and what not. So far everyone seems pretty nice but I guess as time goes on people’s true colors might start to shine. I haven’t yet found someone in any of my classes that I can’t get along with so hopefully that stays the same. My impression of the work so far is that its fairly easy but I guess we have also just gotten started. I think that Jody seems like she's going to be a fair teacher and she understands we have a life other than school. In order to be a success as an adult student I really need to try and keep my attendance up. I also need to not procrastinate when it comes to getting my work done.

Article posted April 18, 2012 at 07:32 AM GMT • comment • Reads 123

My first impression of this class was great. It is so easy to find an address of school without getting lost. My classroom is well located, enough space for all students in the class. With my classmates, I didn't think that this class would be more fun than it is.

Jody Ferguson was my english technical writing teacher at Mcleod Adult Learning Centre, I like my teacher she would help if you ask her.

This is my first time at Transcona Adult Learning Centre.The work we have done so far is not really bad though I have difficulties in englist. I will try my best on the work we plan to do.

What I will do this semester is to make sure I am present in class, do all my homeworks and classworks, ask for help if I need any,  I will make sure I hand in all my assignments and I will succeed as an adult student.

Article posted April 12, 2012 at 07:07 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

My first impression of this class was very laid back, everyone just wants to get down to work and just get the credit so that we can all get our grade 12. the building is alot more bigger than i thought, way more computers and alot more space for everyone to do thier work. my work plan is to just get everything done so that i can graduate.

what i want to do this semester to make sure that i do succeed as an adult student is to make sure that i come to class on time and ready. to make sure that i hand in all my work and that is dont fully to my potientional.