This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

blog 13 06/07/12
blog 12 06/07/12
blog 11 05/28/12
blog 10 05/14/12
blog 9 05/14/12
blog 8 05/14/12
blog 7 05/14/12
blog 6 04/25/12
blog 5 04/23/12
blog 4 04/19/12
blog 3 04/18/12
blog 2 04/11/12
blog #1 04/09/12
test blog 04/04/12

I don't mind in class discussions, just as long as I kind of know the people i'm in a group with or else I just stay quiet. I like them because if I'm having difficulty with an assignment, listening to other peoples ideas and brainstorming helps me get my assignment in motion again. I think its great that students can feed off one another and hear great ideas and come up with their own off of others ideas.

It is important because we can bounce ideas off eachother and maybe even come up with stuff that we wouldn't of thought of on our own. If we are having trouble thinking of things on our own it group discussion helps us understand things better. Personally I don't like group discussion very much, but on ocassion it does benifit me because sometimes I don't always know the anwers to certain questions.

i think it is important to engage in school discussions to help people become comfortable infront of others so later down the road you can do presentations with ease. I dont mind the discussions beasue iam pretty friendly and inviting for others to join the conversation. I think it does benifit me cause i can talk in groups pretty good and that help me later down the road to be able to present infront of the class room i think its a good exercise to practice for everyone.

Article posted May 27, 2012 at 05:08 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 137

Discussion is very important because you can increase knowledge from the others. We don’t have the same brain and what you see in some way the others might see in a different way, and that gives you different view in one topic. I personal have no issue with the group work, I like to get to know my classmates, and I feel in group work I am not only gaining knowledge, but feeling comfortable to talk to the others without feeling shy. Sometimes we see some people who are the same class in more than two semesters and don’t know their names, I think the reason this is happening is they barely had any work to do together ,or sit beside each other or chat. Group discussion has a lot benefit and the most important one is that it making us more comfortable to one and other.

Article posted May 21, 2012 at 09:47 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 39

Group discussion is a great thing to do but sometimes it can be kind of dull and boring and where its only like one or two people talking but on the other hand it does depend on the class as a whole. In general though class discussions is really one of the best ways to understand your fellow classmates and to expand and understand other peoples point of view on the said topic that is being discussed. Another importance of the discussions is to see the topic from another persons point of view and maybe even have a better understanding of the topic, where as if you were by yourself you may have a harder time understanding something. The Benefits are always there and show once everyone gets back to their own seats and we discuss it as a whole entire class where other ideas are shown and expressed from.

I personally do not like the group work. I feel like it is somewhat forced. In some ways I can see it's advantages, by bouncing some information off people. I think that talking to people and sharing ideads are skills that we have as individuals. I believe that these skills can be used when we need to use them. I don't like being forced to do discuss things that I for the most part don't have a desire to discuss.

I really enjoy group discussions. I’m such a people person so I like to discuss things with others. I think it’s really beneficial to hear people’s ideas and share mine as well. Other people may see a different side of something that you couldn’t see. Group discussions really help me gather a bunch of ideas on the subject. I think society in general would benefit talking out with each other rather than just keeping to ourselves

i enjoy group discussions simply because I feel like there is always something to learn from others, someone might bring up a point that I would have never thought about pretaining to a certain subject. I also think that group discussion is a confidence builder, it draws a person out and in a way , forcing them to voice their opinions.

Article posted May 16, 2012 at 06:31 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 49

i think that having and participating in group discussions in the classroom is a very good idea because if someone doesnt get the topic that we are talking about as a class, it gives them an oppurtunity to disscuss what they need help getting or hearing another persons opinion.

i really dont mind classroom discussions because i like to hear other peoples ideas and then i can compare my thoughts with their thoughts. It does benefit everyone in a positive way beacause some topics people have trouble understanding.

Engaging in class room discussion is important cause it helps get the ideas across through word of mouth. Actions speak louder than words they say, escpecially when they come from the mouth of some one who cares about the subject. If you hear it from a book or an article it only gets your attention for a small portion of time. But when a person speaks the truth on the subject and emphasises the words in a commanding and impowering voice it sticks in there mind there emotions are moved and it shakes inside them leaving a lasting effect which makes them believe what you are saying rings true. I feel that at times it can be intimidating to try and speak to people who are glaring at you expecting something remarkable and jaw dropping but when the fear of dissapointing the audience or when you think your going to choke, the overwhelming power that is pressure kicks in. It's not easy to reveal your thought if there going to be shot down like an enemy in duck hunt. Performing or presenting does benefit people in lots of ways. For some it can lead to a life as a motivational speaker or teacher at a university that spikes a career for you. It can also help the fear that you once had by praticing the very thing that scares you, the act in which is the only thing getting in your way that can set you for life instead of living in the dark and wondering if you could chase that monster inside of you away, the only barrier that could give you life to follow your own.

Classroom discussions are important because you get more than one opinion, you get around five other people sharing their opinions. When you work as a group you get more work done because of how many ideas that are being shared. Classroom discussions also are important because you may think your doing the assignment right but not doing it right, your group can correct your error before you waste more time doing it wrong. Personally I would prefer to work on my own in a classroom setting.

Article posted May 14, 2012 at 06:53 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 39

The reason why I think engaging in classroom discussion is because it is always good to have your own opinion involved. It is always good to hear other peoples ideas and ask them questions about it. Perssonally I rerally dont have a problem with it usaully im very outgoing about it but there is the odd time that I may not feel like being very involved. Of course it always benefits you because of the practice and it always upgrades your skill to communicate.

i dont mind doing group work sometimes. when it's about something that im not really sure of i prefer group discussions because then i can hear what other people have to say and hear their ideas then i get comfortable with what were learning about.

Article posted May 14, 2012 at 05:21 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 60

I enjoy group discussion because it's important that I am able to see and know all students. When we students are working together, we share ideas, learning from others, motivate others, it encourage me as students to have an idea of doing my own work and find my answers. I am happy and comfortable with it, it's just that sometimes if I have no clue,thats when I am quiet but if I know, then I also contribute in the discusion group.

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 06:08 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 40

I really have no issue with group work. I feel it's nice to bounce ideas off others and see their opinions , ideas , and feelings towards the material given.

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 01:44 AM GMT • comment • Reads 51

I enjoy class discussions and can easily see the importance for them. For starters, it is these discussions that change strangers into classmates and this adds a level of comfort that would otherwise not develop and I believe that the more comfortable a student feels the better they will be able to learn. As no two people have the exact same perception I think that class discussion adds depth to my understanding of the material being studied. Listening to others opinions and views expands my mind and adds to my fountain of knowledge. Whether I agree or disagree with another’s opinion I still feel that I obtain a firmer grasp on the subject being discussed.

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 01:34 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

Engaging in the classroom discussions are impotant because there are different ideas from other people. I don't like that we have to have these small groups because I feel very uncomfortable with people that I don't really know, I am a very quiet person and I honestly I would rather sit and listen. This stuff discussed may benifit a person because they get other ideas from other people.

I feel group discussions are vital to learning because it affords each individual a chance to gain perspective.. which i believe is an essential learning tool. Through out our lives, we will be forced to act or work as part of a group. We will not always like the group, as it will be comprised of co workers that all believe their opinion is the right one. group discussions in class are preparing us for the bitter reality that is inevitable. It's like practise for our futures. I think we should embrace this tool in order to succeed once school is over. And, hey, who doesn't have some input on any topic? (thats a retorical question, by the way!)

Engaging in classroom discussion is important because you can bounce ideas off of other people and sort of see if you are on the right track or on the right page. You can also elaborate on your own original thoughts by hearing other peoples thoughts and ideas and then take yours to the next level. How I feel about group disscussions is that I don't like doing them but I do understand the importance of it so I try my best to do it. Group disscussions benefits me in a way that taking in other peoples ideas can only help not hurt. It helps me generate ideas on certain assignments, but sometimes group disscussions don't do very much for me and I don't like doing them.