-

This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by teacher: Jody Ferguson
Blog #13 06/19/12
Blog #12 06/19/12
Blog #11 06/19/12
Blog #10 06/18/12
Blog #9 06/18/12
Blog # 8 06/18/12
Blog #7 05/09/12
Blog #6 05/09/12
Blog #5 04/23/12
Blog #4 04/23/12
Blog #3 04/17/12
Blog #2 04/12/12
Blog #1 04/09/12
Test Blog 1 04/04/12

Behind very successful man there is a woman"Denesa".

I choose this quote because I believe it’s very true. Women are the ones whom can build a very broken relationship. We go to work men or women, and we Canadian have very stressful lives, however when your day outside is done, you are come in home to relax, if your husband/wife is very supportive, creative and always helps you with ideas, and gives you hope, that feels so great. When people are partners or husband and wife they help each other or they make each other very useless by putting down one and other, or simply don’t care what ever is going on there individual lives. It’s very important to have a support in your house, because that’s where you spend most of your times. This quote is pointing the power of woman, in these days both male and family work, and have dreams, however men are very listener to their wives, if they have a good relationship, they are strong, but they still need help, so women develop a long lasting relationship to everyone. They maintain and make sure that their family is happy. They help their husbands to maintain happiness in their family.

I think that the lyrics mean that he is looking for something that he once had in his life that he doesn't have anymore.

Article posted May 3, 2012 at 06:25 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 43

In my opinion this lyric means that someone is looking for their dreams , that thing that makes them tick and feel truly happy , because they lost it some where. Maybe they lost it because they went through some tough things , I believe that is what the broken shards of glass from the broken light bulb means. The filament is something that needs to work if its gonna bring light , without it , you gotta be strong and keep your life going hence the " lit the life you want" line.

So an interesting sentence I have heard in a song is by Matthew Good . The songs called Alert Status Red and the lyric goes like this

" In the wilderness the only place to find freedom is in the dictionary ,under F."

I chose this lyric because I love the meaning behind it and the song itself as a whole but I personally feel this sentence is extremely relevant and kinda funny as well as true.

The lyrics I used  talks about how we are told  we are free as people , but in truth we arent exactly free, even in the wilderness where we are supposed to be absolutley "free" were still not. Our society is to wrapped up in materialistic items that we've lost all respect for nature and it's beauty as well as the fact we are wearing blinders to what is really corrupt and wrong in our society. That freedom is no longer a real thing other then a word in the dictionary.

Article posted May 3, 2012 at 08:12 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 35

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans" John Lennon

I chose this lyric because it's so true and is one of my favourite Lennon Quotes. Everyone seems to get caught up in what they should be doing, or planning,saving etc.. Not much else to say as it speaks for itself.

I think that these lyrics mean drifting through life with no plans or goals and then you come across that one thing that sparks an intrest for you and then you live the life you want even if you didn't realize it at the time. The words "sifting through translucent shards of glass" gives me the whole picture of drifting through life and the words "looking for a filament that lit the life you want" made me think of a filament sparking and turning on a light which represents that intrest or way of life finding you and igniting it.

"By the ticket, take the ride" is a quote by Hunter S. Thompson. I chose this quote because I feel it is an effective use of language and somewhat unusual if you don't know what he means. This quote has alot to do with drug use what he means is when you choose to do certain drugs such as LSD you can only hang on for the ride once you have bought the ticket. This also goes a bit deeper in the sense that once you have paid for the ticket you have to deal with any repercussions that go along with it, the trip itself and incidents you get yourself into is all part of the "ride".

From what I gather of the lyric, it sounds to me like he's talking about trying his hardest to give a girl/guy everything they want, everything they used to have but to no avail. The picture I get is literally a guy sifting through shards of glass, getting knicked and cut while doing so to try and find a filament that once held light to the girl's/guy's happiness, something that would bring back light of a better time. The saying 'Real eyes realize real lies' is a saying that strikes with me just because of the repition of the sound. And not only that, but also the meaning of it. I feel the meaning to it is people that aren't naive and don't sugar coat every thing are capable of seeing things for what they really are.

What I think about this quote is some person having a hard life or somthing like having to push through hard things and getting hurt by it. The filament is what you make of yourself and to make your self someone there is always hard troubles and you most likely will be hurt.

A quote that I like is "war is fear cloaked in courage" William Westmoreland. I like this quote because i understand what the quote means.

Article posted May 21, 2012 at 09:23 AM GMT • comment • Reads 145

This lyric quote I feel is that he wants to find something that was old and lost in time so that he may place that "fliament" back into the new glass to return things as they were back in the past. Which makes myself picture an older man clinging on to the past and finding or even making things to remind him of a time that has been lost forever in the past where the the candle light has died out and the feeling of regret sinking in. This makes me think of how time is such a short and yet long thing where you can be give so much time to do something but yet regret on how you might have messed up and fall into a cycle of regret. So really to show the mortallity of us and how we should not worry about the past but how we can use of past to form our future.

This Quote is from the movie Kingdom of Heaven during the final conflict in the movie where the city of Jerusalem is getting siedged by Saladin's 200,000 men in which the bishop, Patriarch of Jerusalem says "Convert to Islam... Repent later!" but then Balian (the main character) says "You've taught me a lot about religion, your Eminence."

This quote I find uses a very interesting type of wording because of the fact that Balian's people inside Jerusalem just fought over this city and now get told by the church to convert to the enemies ways, which back in those days was a horrible thing to do and get prosecuted for it. So while the bishop's are suppose to show the strenght of the church and pope they really were just trying to save their own skin and make the most amount of money possible to live in luxury for themselves and the pope/church. The reason why I picked this is mainly because it is from one of my favorite movies but also to show that even though Christianity has many dark sides to it that not all christian's are crazy horrible people because Balian (the character and the one in real life) still fought for the city even though they both many have had the clergy trying to convince them to surrender to Islam

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 01:45 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn". ~Charlie Parker

"Music's the medicine of the mind." ~John A. Logan

"Music is what feelings sound like." ~Author Unknown

I believe he is talking about him looking at lots of choices for a life he wants. I also think he is trying to see why his life All these oportunities and wants one that sets him for a good life. I picture him looking at a broken mirrior at himself and thinking what he can do to change his life and how he can fix his mistakes searching for an answer. I can also see him using the filament as a nother term for an idea to spark his new life in a positive way. I like this line hopefully i can hear this song later and find the meaning to it. I think these lyrics may be about a lost hope he is picturing for himself and it may possibly be about a loved one or an addiction i just can't seem to put it together until i hear the whole song.

"So Elvira brings my bottle, hold it up and let it bend. Figure of two rings battling an extra end and I'm peeling off the label as they peel a corner guard. Dance down the sheet to the tune of "hurry, Hurry, hard."

The reason I choose these lyrics was that they gave a good description of the language being used in the song.The artist is using curling terms to make the song use language. The artist does a good job at using words that are not really saying that he is at a curling event, just sounds like he is saying. The artist is trying to make the listener be able to relate to the song to make it easy to understand the meaning.Song sounds like the artist is depressed in a way.

Article posted May 30, 2012 at 08:00 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

"living in the past begins the ending first" Feist

I chose this lyric because it says so much and speaks so loudly with only eight words. The song is about a relationship which seems to be going nowhere but down evethough she has done everything in her power to make him see that she is a good woman. It seems to say to me that no matter how well you treat a person, if they choose to live in the past , the realtionship is doomed. It's a beautiful song that almost forces me to be in the moment and forget past hurt.

Article posted May 16, 2012 at 06:01 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 37

the lyrics to me mean thats he or she is looking for somthing they lost or forgot about earler in there life. I picture them looking for lost memereis in there life.It reminds me of when i was a kid and how i dont remember certen things. this is kida weird for me iam not really sure what they are saying i just keep thinking about lost memories that they want to find but are having a hard time remembering.

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

“I grow plants for many reasons: to please my eye or to please my soul, to challenge the elements or to challenge my patience, for novelty or for nostalgia, but mostly for the joy in seeing them grow.”

~David Hobson~

I am a big fan of quotes and can really connect to this one as I have been in love with plants my whole life. This quote adds to the explanation I have of why I love to garden. I remember a few years back pondering to myself why it was that I loved gardening so much. I always have too. I realized it was because it appealed to all of my senses. Sight, touch, smell, taste and sound. I had to think about sound for a while but then I heard the birds chirping and realized that they were part of the garden too. It was a moment that felt spiritual in nature and this is why the words “too please my soul” are very powerful for me as I have experienced that exact feeling year after year. I think this quote is a perfect description of the pleasure that I feel when I am nurturing plants. Each one of the seven reasons Hobson gives for his love of growing is one that I can connect with. This quote is written using soft, pleasant language that feels comforting.

"This is the way the world ends

This is the way the world ends

This is the way the world ends

Not with a bang but a whimper"

This is a very powerful excerpt from T.S. Eliot, a poet that died in the early 1900's. His writing isvery dark, but very applicable throught out our existence. He chooses repetition to make a very important point. His point is that our end will not be swift and painless, but slow and agonising. He choose very simple language to put the emphasis on a dramatic end..unlike the end he fore sees for humanity. It sounds almost like a lullaby, soft and non threatening, until you read the final line. I hope this excerpt envoked the same sense of "I wonder if he's right?", that it did for me.

To me theses lyrics mean you have to go through some crappy things in life to find the good. When I read this I picture some guy on a sidewalk at night sifting through shards of glass with bloody hands.

“In this bright future you can't forget your past” (Bob Marley)

I chose this quote because I fully believe in it. Your past, no matter how dark it was makes you who you are. Even though you can move forward with your life and move on to a better future you should never forget where you came from and what obstacles you have overcome in life.

I choose "don't matter" lyric by Akon, because it represent many relationships.lots of couples experience almost the same issues.I like this quote "nobody wanna see us together, but it don't matter no" he believes that they will always fight over and over again for their love to survive. This quote described his life experience and no matter how hard they were but he always fight them and make the right decisons.The purpose of this song is encouraging us to be aware of outcome in life, to entertain us and teach us on how to heal broken hearts.I am sure others are stalking him, twist things around to be a bigger issue and tell his girlfriend so she could hurt. Maybe these girls are jealous of how he's treating the girl, they wish to be treated like her or they might have been messing around with him in the past and because he doesn't want them anymore because find his true love, that is why they are hurting his girlfriend.I believe he can find a good word to explain it to the girl otherwise they will always fight.

Article posted May 9, 2012 at 06:23 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 39

This quote is a very unique because it has a lot of meaning and depending on how you look at it is very true. the meaning of this quote to me means that no matter how hard you try at the end of the day it is up to you to decide the outcome and your life is what you make it.

one of the best quotes that has a big impact in my life in highschool was a basketball quote from the best player in history, Micheal Jordan.

I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.

Michael Jordan