This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

Blog # 9 06/01/12
05/10/12
The white Screen 05/08/12
Brand names and ads!!!! 05/08/12
04/12/12
Explaining and supporting ideas 03/15/12
03/01/12
03/01/12
02/23/12
Text Blog 02/16/12

Well i enjoy to read story's in the newspaper when i do get one or i enjoy reading sport's magazines. Also if i don't have the newspaper if i am bored i like to go on TSN.ca or WinnipegSun.com on my phone to read some of the colums or articles they have. I enjoy that. And if it has anything to do with sports or other things i have interest in i am stuck to the words and can't stop reading. So if you want to get into reading then you need to read something that interest's you and it's fun, you learn lot's

Article posted March 20, 2012 at 02:31 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 37

Other than an occasional autobiography on Slash, Motley Crue, and Kurt Cobain; I never used to read that much. I used to read story books to my son at bed time; but you don’t really need any strategies with those other than changing your voice for different characters. But know that I’m back in school I’ve been reading more and some strategies I use now are re-reading or reading things slower, now I’ve learned that reading backwards can help you understand it better. I’ve also noticed that the more you read it’s easier to comprehend what you are reading.

xt of your blog here!

The majority of my home reading is automotive journalism. I read this type of material because of my passion for all things mechanical. I also enjoy reading the news paper to keep up with current events around the world. Reading comprehension comes very easly to me so I don't realy have any tricks. I suppose my excellent reading comprehension comes from the early age I started reading and the amount of reading I do.

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 03:48 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

I dont read outside of class, so i dont have any strategies.

Article posted April 26, 2012 at 06:32 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 39

Well for me i read lots of text messages and i also read Facebook and twitter a couple times a day . when I'm at work i read the Winnipeg free press and the Winnipeg sun . i read Facebook and twitter to keep up with my friends and the people that i talk to . i read the paper too keep up with the news and to no what is going on in the city i also read my horoscope for some odd reason i believe in them . i don't read books i think i have read only one book and it was for school . i don't like to read big books i don't have that kind of interest in them . Other then that the only other time i read is in class and even then it hard .

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 04:08 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 37

Blog #2 (30S) (02/29/12)

In class we have discussed some strategies for reading and understanding texts. We all read every day for a variety of purposes. In this blog, I would like you to write about the reading you do outside of class. Think about ALL the reading you do. What types of texts do you read on a daily basis? For what reason do you read these texts? What do you do to ensure that you are reading effectively based on your purpose? Share any strategies that you use to help you understand the texts you read.

I read newspaper at the Subway when I have break and at home I read magazines and flyers.

I want to read books too but I don't have time, I always be at school and work. Before when I was young i love to read story book. Now I love to read magazine, newspaper and flyers when I feel like. I don't read these text always. I always in facebook too texting my friends after when I come from work. At Subway, when I serve customer I read the menu too.

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 03:08 AM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 40

I read messages that are sent to me every day on my cell phone in order to interact with my friends and family, I read when checking my emails to see if there is anything new and exciting going on and also because this is the main way that I interact with my mother because she is a Teacher working all the way out in Nunavut and sometimes does not have great phone reception. I read the street names on the bus so I don’t miss my stop.

The main time that I read though is when I read my children a bed time story every night , I read to them because my children love listening to stories, and It is a great bonding time for us. One thing that helps me when I am reading is if I read over a line to fast and don't understand it I will just go back and re read it a few times over until it makes sense .

I don't really spend a lot of time reading outside of school. Some times I read my emails, facebook, text messages from friends and family in my cellphone or when i see something interesting in the news, I love to read and see what happened. Sometimes I see my wife reads to my baby and I try to read to her too because that makes me happy and it reminds me of when my wife was pregnant. Back then I had to read a lot of pregnancy books to find information of how i could help her. My wife really loves to read and she helps me a lot too, because i have some problems to read. Sometimes i don't understand some words. I read a lot when i'm at school, because I have to read all the stories Jody gives me. I try my best to read more every day because i want to improve my english.

On a daily basis I read everything from signs, newspapers, magazines, instructions for things , I read these texts to become more familiar to my surroundings . If I’m looking for what’s gone on today or what’s to be happening I look to the newspapers if I’m looking to further my knowledge of something I look it up in instructions for things, if I don’t understand the first time I re read , if the second or third time I don’t understand it I get another person to read it to me , then I understand more .

our blog here!

I don't read much out of class but when I do I usually read things on the computer, the things I read are usually comments on youtube, I've only read like 1 -3 books and when I read I try to put myself in the main characters shoes and when I don't understand something I try to re-read it's sort of like when I write I like to re-read it all and correct it all. the books I've read are April Raintree when I was in school, The first Harry Potter, and I started to read the first Lord of The Rings but I never finished it I got about a quater of the way done then I got bored of it and just watched the movie.

Outside of class I don’t do a lot of reading, although I always read magazines. I like to read magazines to keep up with celebrity gossip and lot into the latest fashions. I also like to read the free press to keep up with current events in Winnipeg as well as in Canada. A lot of the time when I’m reading I have to go back and re read what I just read to fully comprehend the text.

the types of books a like to read on my spare time are army or war related . Im almost finish reading all of the books from Richard marcinko series called ROUGE WARRIOR. The books are based on the missions that he paticipated while he was a U.S.A Navy Seal. Richard Marcinko was the first comander of seal team 6 and moved on to create other teams to fight terrorism around the world.Besides reading war books i also love reading history books, especially of all other religon around the world.

Article posted March 13, 2012 at 05:23 AM GMT • comment • Reads 50

I don't do much reading of books or magazines during my spare time or for personal pleasure. The only thing that I really read on a daily basis is the newspaper. I read this so that I am aware of the events taking place within our community and around the world. What I do to ensure I'm reading it effectively is focus on the articles that discuss more important issues and I do this by reading the headlines that are specifically attention catching. One strategy I use to do this is by looking for specific words such as "disaster" and pictures that go with the title.

Article posted March 13, 2012 at 04:47 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 52

I am not big fan of books and reading, although I read news online every morning before I come to the class, especially I like to read the politics, and what is going on in my country. The reason behind like in the politics is; my country has war for the past twenty years, and I pray one day I can read some good news, and heard a change. I am sure that will warm my heart. I believe reading news for fun or habit is a good way to connect, and to know what is going on around you, or around the universe. I also like to read celebrity magazine for entertainment.

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 04:02 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

I actually do quite a bit of reading out of class. I have picked quite a few really good books in the past, one of them is called Where the Red Fern Grows. The book is amazing , I think I told you about it in the test blog's that we did! The detail in the writing, and the plot of the story was just wonderful; i really enjoyed reading this book. Other reading I do outside of school would be reading the newspaper a lot at work, I like reading newspaper for the fact that they fill you in with quite a bit of interesting information. These newspaper and articles in the paper are very effective in the way that the information is really good to know, and gives us an idea of whats going on in our city/world. The crosswords on the last few pages of the paper are actually my favourite to do!  My strategies for reading effectivly would be a nice place where I can wind down and read a good novel. I find peace and quiet works well and I can really concentrate and get into the story! :)

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 04:06 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 39

I re read the story that we read at class. And also i read my dauther's books.somthimes i read a booklet from my job too. the porpose i re read the story that we read at class is to undrestand the story very well.And the porpose i read my dauther's book is to help her. and i have to read a booklet from my job to aware all rules.my strategies to read is read slowly,re read if i not understand the word then i check dictionary.

I really don't do a whole lot of reading when I am not in class. I used to spend a lot of time reading fiction, with the likes of authors such as, Steven King, Dean R Koontz, V.C.Andrews, and so on. I really enjoyed these as they opened up my mind to different ideas.

Most of my reading these days are online. Places like You-Tube, Google+, and Facebook. I basically do minimal activity as I am losing my eyesight to older age. I look over advertisments that interest me and notice that fonts change according to what appeals to the eye. I hope that I will learn to read all the different types of literature that there is. I know that one day there is a book inside of me that truly needs to be written.

While Iam outside of school I dont do very much reading, other than manuals and procedures at work. All thou they are fairly large and some times over whelming I tend to sit and relax while getting paid to read. I always have to re-read things I tend to forget easily.

I not use to read that much but when I do that its because i funded an interesting book or article,in our english class we are been reading interestind stories and that makes me do some search on the computer and learn about that sotory or article.the only book that read a little bit often is the Bible,but in our class we write and read as much is possible sometimes its feel like we are goin to fast with englesh class its feel lake I can't breth, then I realiza that is the best way to learn knowing that we have to work fast

When i'm reading outside of class I usually dont read books to much but tend to read a lot of atricles in the news. I read these articles because i like to keep track of what's going on world-wide. I also ensure that i am reading effectively by researching anything that i dont understand or checking sources.

Right now I am reading chicken soup for father soul. It is short stories about fathers and their experiences. It is alright nothing special. It is pretty strait forward you read it and think about it, relate a lot of it to my son. I read it to make myself a better father I don’t know if it works but at least I’m trying. Other than that I do not read at all.

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 04:09 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 39

My strategies for reading everyday is I have to read with my daughter.

She brings books home for home work everyday both English and French.

She is in grade two and she has reads to me on a daily bases. I have to help her with the words shes having a hard time with and make sure she is understanding what she is reading to ensure she is getting better. I base my strategies on my daughter assessment at school when she tarted grade two she was at a level fifteen today she is level twenty one reading chapter books.   

I haven’t read books in a while. I do like to read Chicken Soup books, magazines, and novels. I don’t really do reading on a daily basis, unless facebook counts. I also like to look up recipes online; when I feel like cooking and trying something different, and I also read random things online about home remedies/cures. I read for something to do, to learn new things, read other people’s stories and poems. Sometimes I read over what I read if I don’t understand. If I don’t know a word I’ll look it up in a dictionary, online, or guess what it is based on what I’m reading.