This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by teacher: Jody Ferguson

I believe that the media is doing an okay job to include other races and cultures into their programming now but I still think that it is not enough. They say and show two different things. Minorities being under portrayed or shown a lot less than white actors are and this has a huge impact on how we live and view our life. White people are shown to always be successful business people, etc. where a non-white actor is rarely ever shown like this. I think that is totally unfair and gives out the message that they are not good enough. This world is still filled with so much racism and it is beyond horrible. I learned so much about this as well from the essay that I just wrote. Racial stereotyping also exists and most disturbingly in children’s movies and television shows at that. The media does not represent both white and no white actors fairly still although it is a lot more now than it used to be.

Article posted June 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

For starters I am extremely proud of myself for sticking this semester out. It did get tough for me at times with balancing my children, school work and studying. But I am almost there and I am happy that I did not drop out and that I am finishing this semester and am planning on returning in September. Jody has been such an amazing teacher and you made sure that you met the needs of every student!!! She has made coming back to school such a positive experience and has taught me so much! I am a very shy person to begin with and usually just stick to myself, my family and friends but Jody having the group exercises has helped me to not be so shy anymore and to voice my opinion more. I have learned so much in the past few months! I am looking forward to next year! Hoping that I get Jody as a teacher again!! I really liked the lyrics study and the work we did about the media I was aware of all the brainwashing that the media did but I didn’t think it was this bad! It opened up my eyes on it! Especially after writing my essay on how the media affects women and children. Being able to choose our own topic along the lines of media helped me to write the essay as well because it was something that I was interested in. I really liked doing the Lyrics Study as well! The course did meet my expectations, it helped me out so much and prepared me for grade 12. I have gained a lot more knowledge of the world around me instead of just being oblivious or ignoring everything around me like I used to. We did have a lot of work so I don’t think there is anything else I would want to be added to the course, maybe looking more at lyrics! But I think you were saying you get more into it in grade 12. I have better knowledge of proper essay writing, and just writing and grammar in general. I know that I met the goals that I set for myself and my grades show that. , I honestly did not think that I would be able or was capable of doing it, so I am very happy with how this semester turned out. Thank you Jody for being such an amazing teacher!!! :)

The media has a huge effect on everyone’s personal identity. First of all with the brand names, I believe that many people define you a lot of the time by what you wear rather than by the kind of person you actually are. You are told that if you do not spend the 200$ on a pair of shoes or a purse than you will not be a good athlete, or popular etc. Brand names are worn for mainly social acceptance and popularity. Media is everywhere so there is no way of avoiding it. You see it on the sides of city buses, on the door of bathroom stalls, bus stops, billboards, flyers, magazines you name it and media advertising has used it. The biggest victims of Media I believe are woman and children. Women are portrayed as objects in the media rather than human beings. The media tells you that you have to be a size 2, have a gorgeous face and wear tons of makeup to attract a man and that attracting a man is the thing you should be focusing on most. Girls from a young age see this unrealistic standard and strive to be perfect and look a certain way just to impress others. Have you also ever noticed on some children’s cartoons how different races are portrayed and stereotyped? Children have no filter and do not understand how this is wrong. So they grow up with these ideas in their head of what certain people should look like. The media I think affects everyone in mostly a negative way.

First I looked for some other quotes that stood out to me and that I would be able to write about and relate to. I sat down to do it at the times that my children were asleep so that I would be able to fully concentrate and be able to think about the topic a lot clearer. I watched the video “How will we love” and re read a lot of our short stories to refresh them in my mind so that I would have a better idea of the other information I could use for my assignment as well. I took this assignment a lot more seriously then my other assignments because of course it is a bigger percentage of my grade than minor assignments but that being said I make sure that I do my best work that it up to my fullest potential on every assignment. Writing is something that I love so it is very easy for me to get lost in my writing and write out a few pages easily. I feel very good about the work that I put into this assignment because I tried very hard and spent a lot of time on it. I am not sure if there is anything else that I would change on my assignment.

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 05:18 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

I would have to say tattoos make me happy! Most of the process, except for the healing/itchy stage. Even though they are painful most of the time, I absolutely LOVE the outcome and how beautiful they look. I love that you have a piece of art on your body that will be there forever. Also, the guy that does them for me is an amazing artist and awesome person to talk and hang out with while im getting the tattoo done as well. I've already had my next three planned out for about two years now. Something else would be makeup! It really makes me happy, I have always wanted to be a makeup artist so im sure that has something to do with it, but I am a total addict to M-A-C cosmetics. I could spend hours inside the store looking at and trying on makeup. I absolutely love doing makeup for myself and a friend/s for a night out as well. Just seeing how it makes them feel, and how much more confidence they have when im finished there makeup is awesome!!

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 05:01 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

One thing I can continue to practice is my use of language. I tend to always be on my cell phone texting and without even thinking I will use "text talk".I tend to shorten words or use two letters such as jk instead of saying just kidding, shortening other words and, I hardly to never use punctuation either. I have been working on spelling everything out and spelling it properly when I text now and when im online sending an email or a message. I have also been doing a lot of reading which is really helping me see proper use of language and punctuation as well.

I honestly don’t know what I would do. I use the internet for literally everything. It makes it easier being able to access the internet being able to get it all on my cell phone. There is my email, internet, social media sites, skype etc. everything I need is literally at my fingertips and easily accessible. I know that if it wasn’t all as easily accessible that I would not use it as much because I am out all day, and busy in the evening so I rarely have time to sit down at an actual computer to go on the internet. I can say that I totally depend on it. I use the internet when I have a question or want to know information on a topic. I check my emails daily, and I am on Facebook a lot throughout the day. I feel shut out when I cannot access my internet, which sounds bad when I actually say it. There are times when I will go onto Facebook and find out things about a close friend or family member from their Facebook page before they even tell me about it in person. I think it is amazing though to connect with family and friends that live far from you. I use skype daily so that my mother who lives in Nunavut can see my children and vice versa. And see how we are all doing even when she is so far away, without that I feel she would miss out on a lot. Also I can’t remember the last time that I picked up an actual newspaper to read the news because I can get it all online on my cell phone. So yes I think we are extremely addicted to the internet.

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 03:08 AM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 41

I read messages that are sent to me every day on my cell phone in order to interact with my friends and family, I read when checking my emails to see if there is anything new and exciting going on and also because this is the main way that I interact with my mother because she is a Teacher working all the way out in Nunavut and sometimes does not have great phone reception. I read the street names on the bus so I don’t miss my stop.

The main time that I read though is when I read my children a bed time story every night , I read to them because my children love listening to stories, and It is a great bonding time for us. One thing that helps me when I am reading is if I read over a line to fast and don't understand it I will just go back and re read it a few times over until it makes sense .

(Part 1) My first impression of this school has been a very positive one. It was hard for me to get back to school after having my second child. This is my first time at this school and coming back to school in about 6 years. I was very anxious as well about coming to a new school, meeting new people, new teachers, new environment and the demands of having two children at home. I very quickly realized though that the teachers are amazing and want you to succeed and go out of their way to make that happen for you as long as your fully committed as well. The teachers are very understanding and accommodating if you do need to miss a class, by giving you the work you need or giving you more time to complete the assignments when you do come to class. The classroom is a very positive environment you can feel that when you walk in. All the classmates are friendly and welcoming , and you can tell that everyone is determined to do well in this class. English is honestly my favourite subject by far, and everything we are doing right now I love. Writing is one of my passions and I loved writing my autobiography and doing the short story question answers.

(Part 2) To ensure that I succeed this year I am staying focused and looking at the bigger picture, reminding myself that I am doing this because I want to be a the best role model for my children and that my goal is to get into nursing school but first I need to graduate high school in order to do that. I am making sure that I finish all of my assignments and that I show up to as many classes as I can. I am also just giving one hundred percent of my effort into school now, because I do realize it is one of the most important things you will do in life.

My favourite movie would have to be P.S I love you. This is my favourite movie because of how well the script was thought out.

Also because I think this movie is an amazing love story even though it is sad at the same time. This is a movie that I could watch over and over again. The actors are great in this movie as well.

Blog #8 06/05/12
Blog #9 06/04/12
Blog #7 05/08/12
Blog#6 04/12/12
Blog #5 03/26/12
Blog #4 03/26/12
The Internet 03/15/12
Reading 03/05/12
New School 02/29/12
My Favourite Movie 02/29/12