-

This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by teacher: Jody Ferguson
blog 9 06/19/12
bog 8 06/19/12
blog 7 06/19/12
Blog #2 04/26/12
Assinment 04/12/12
Makes me happy 04/12/12
Laungage 03/22/12
The internet . 03/08/12
First Veiw 02/23/12
My favorite movie 02/16/12

Well to start off i have never been strong in english just for the fact i guess i don't have a lot of interest in writing and doing essay's. Though this has been a fun course and i am glad i'm back and completing this course. I liked the assignements we got and had fun learning about all the different subjects like the media stuff. The only thing i hated about this course was the fact that i had to write but what are you going to do right. I thing i have gained from this course was learning proper language again and knowing a little more of how to present my text or story. The only thing i wish i would have done more of was spending more time on work and not leaving it until the last second because i found out that it takes a lot of time to do research and to break down all your notes to make it easier to conduct your essay. it has been a while since i have taken an english class so this was a good start and im hopeing next year i can take all the positives of this year and help me out with next semester. Also i just realised i didn't do blog number 1 so i can't answer the last question. :p Thanks for a fun year!

To be honest I’m not a fan of the English course all together. With that said I did enjoy your teaching skills and liked the last major assignment which means that the media unit was the one I liked the most. Other than that the course met my expectations and I fell that I’ve met the majority of my goals.

I think I have learned and gained quite a bit and it's definitely been a positive experience. How can you not learn when you are constantly practising and challenging your writing skills on a weekly basis? So, even though the work can sometimes be a little overwhelming, I think it's been a very rewarding experience. As for what I liked in particular about the course, there are a few things that stick out. The friendliness of the staff at McLeod Educational Centre were excellent, very attentive, and helpful. They made me feel really comfortable and I appreciate that. I also enjoyed the group work we did in class and our class discussions. The group work and class discussions were fun, engaging, and very enlightening. I felt that I learned a lot and got a lot of use from them. As for what I felt could have been improved, the course outline was good, but I felt that the toughness and skill level didn't progress as evenly or proportionally enough through some segments of the course (in particular, our major research paper). I felt the first part of the semester was actually a little bit too easy where I was not feeling challenged enough. Then ironically near the end of the course, our Major Research Essay on Media with MLA styles citations assignment seemed to be a little bit too difficult of a leap in only one semester. I learned a lot and enjoy a challenge, but for whatever reason I didn't feel prepared enough for this large assignment. Maybe next time an introduction and use of MLA citation on one of the minor assignments before we get to the major research essay would make the transition a little easier.

In conclusion, aside from that minor concern, the course was enjoyable and did meet my expectations. I definitely feel I have surpassed my goals for my first class at this school and have no regrets. Thanks again for your great help in this interesting journey and I look forward to seeing you and my classmates again soon!

Article posted June 20, 2012 at 02:52 AM GMT • comment • Reads 45

What about the course did you like? What did you hate? What have you gained from this course? What do you wish we would have done more of? Did the course meet your expectations? Most importantly, do you think that you met the goals that you set for yourself at the beginning of the course?

I liked the fact hat we got o do lots of group work lots of group talking .i didnt like all the writing tho i felt as if this was a grade 12 ela .i hink that i met my goal somewhat i felt really challanged in this course , his witch made it hard to enjoy doing all my work .

In this semester in english grade 11, I felt I won't have good grade. I try my best to finish my work and when I needed help Jody and Kathy alway been to help me. I'm stress for my exam, I hope I do good. I learnt alot from this subject and I enjoyed it. I'm happy this sememster will be finish. I hope I pass in this semester. Jody is a great teacher, she always been prepare for the class.I enjoying working with group discussion and working as a team. I really dislike searching and putting to essay media project but I try my best.Be honest I enjoy studying in class with Jody. when I finish the exams, the stressful will be finished. Thanks Jody, you be a great teacher.

Article posted June 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 36

For starters I am extremely proud of myself for sticking this semester out. It did get tough for me at times with balancing my children, school work and studying. But I am almost there and I am happy that I did not drop out and that I am finishing this semester and am planning on returning in September. Jody has been such an amazing teacher and you made sure that you met the needs of every student!!! She has made coming back to school such a positive experience and has taught me so much! I am a very shy person to begin with and usually just stick to myself, my family and friends but Jody having the group exercises has helped me to not be so shy anymore and to voice my opinion more. I have learned so much in the past few months! I am looking forward to next year! Hoping that I get Jody as a teacher again!! I really liked the lyrics study and the work we did about the media I was aware of all the brainwashing that the media did but I didn’t think it was this bad! It opened up my eyes on it! Especially after writing my essay on how the media affects women and children. Being able to choose our own topic along the lines of media helped me to write the essay as well because it was something that I was interested in. I really liked doing the Lyrics Study as well! The course did meet my expectations, it helped me out so much and prepared me for grade 12. I have gained a lot more knowledge of the world around me instead of just being oblivious or ignoring everything around me like I used to. We did have a lot of work so I don’t think there is anything else I would want to be added to the course, maybe looking more at lyrics! But I think you were saying you get more into it in grade 12. I have better knowledge of proper essay writing, and just writing and grammar in general. I know that I met the goals that I set for myself and my grades show that. , I honestly did not think that I would be able or was capable of doing it, so I am very happy with how this semester turned out. Thank you Jody for being such an amazing teacher!!! :)

this course was alright I think that i've improved a little bit over the 4 months I didnt really have any goals when the course started so I didnt meet any of my goals. what I didnt like was when we got the lyrics major assignment on the day we started the lyrics unit and we didnt get that much class time to finish it and I dont really like doing these blogs and comments every week, and this exam has me stressed out seven one page essays and a two page essay is so much work to do its insane its like a university or college exam in grade eleven. Other than that I think I've done good this semester but my mark is so low im so worried about passing with such a low mark. I've learned alot this course that I didn't know before I learned how to write an essay and how to do a research assignment. now that I look back these 4 months just flew by and now its almost over hopefully I'll be in grade 12 next semester. :D.

I am really happy that I am almost done with this semester. I am a busy with my family, work and school, but I am almost there. If I talk about what I liked this course is it didn’t stress me at all, because of my teacher. Jody is an amazing teacher, she is flexible and very understandable, and she encourages me to finish this semester. She also gave it to me the motivation to continue my education. I would say there was nothing I hate about this. I gained a lot for the period of time that I attend this class. For instance I didn’t know how to write essay and lyrics, but I learned in this course. I completely met the goals that I set up and to me it was an over whelmed what I achieved. I am extremely looking forward for the next course.

I really enjoyed this semester from the begining until now. All of the minor assignments that we did in the class were not that difficult, but the major assignments were more challenging. Because of all the challenging and more difficult assignments I learned a lot and I also improved my witing skills during this semester. The most thing that I really liked this semester was the oppourtunities to finish our work whenever  we had finished, we were not rushed. I really appreciate Jody for giving us this great chance! I also really liked the team work chances that we had in the class. The thing that I disliked in the class was that we did not get to work on lyric stuff that much, and I really  enjoy doing lyric stuff. In this semester I had mostly reached all the goals that I had set for myself . I think that next semester we should start with lyric stuff before media and short stories. I had a great time this semester with my classmates and with my teacher Jody.  I will try to attend the class next semester, I hope I can! Thanks for being a GREAT teacher=http://=http://!!!

Article posted June 1, 2012 at 05:45 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 47

honestly I learned alot, but still have some dificult times but is not my teacher she is fully prepare for every class, but personally I feel that the class were to fast and for me was hart to understand at the first moment but with the help of internet or google i think I meet my expectations, i think that the classes and units were finished fast and its was hard for me to get them all.But I know that is the way it is is just because it's not my lenguage thats why sometimes ist hard, the part that i enjoy most was working in groups and the most i heat it was wachtching videos because it was hard to understand or hear what they were talking about,

I think I meet the expectations not all of them but I feel more comfident in this course now, and I think for the next semestre will be a big help . For me everything was fine in class and I learned alot. thanks Jody for your time and help ,for me you are a great teacher and hard worker person good job !!!!

This semester went pretty well and overall am satisfied about my current standing. What i liked most about the class was the group work, it helped get an idea of what everyone els was thinking about certain topics. I have gain alot of knowledge to help me move on to grade 12 english. Overall i would say the course met my expectations and am happy with how jody ran the class and had things setup. Mostly i think i have met most of my goals that i had set for myself but there are still a couple things i would like to strengthen. Im also pretty confident i will do decent on the exam.

Article posted June 5, 2012 at 04:32 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 42

I liked most of this course.Some of it was challeging.Like the essay writing was not easy at all.Especially the making connectiopns was not fun but it was not supposed to be fun it is work.I have done a lot better than i expected.I was nervous to come back to school for the expectation to fail.I am really proud of myself.It also helps that i had a good teacher even though i cant spell her name right lol .Oh ya More lyrics stuff would be cool

I have to admit at first I felt overwhelmed and rushed with the amount of work but thanks to grade ten teacher Jan Ivey who made me feel confident in my English-grammar and work. I was able to meet my goals this term. It definitely was a very positive experience. What I really enjoyed best was working in groups I learned a lot and it was fun I also enjoyed the lyrics it was hard but very interesting. I think Jody’s challenge in giving a lot of assignments and work was to get us ready for the grade twelve, Jody always took time to help me when I needed. I want to thank you Jody for challenging me this term with all the work, my grammar has improved a lot and I will continue to work on it. I think I’m ready for grade twelve. Thanks again for making English a fun class for me.     

Article posted June 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 46

I didn't mind the course, but i hated that we didn't have as much time to complete assignments as last semester. I don't know if that's because we're in gr. 11 now. I feel a bit stressed out about exam time coming up, not haveing all the reviews yet and still trying to finish these other assignments. I learnt some more new things, and had friends as well as Jody to help with any school work. I liked working in groups and reading some stories. So far I think i have met the goals i set for myself in the beginning.

Jody thanks for all your help! :)