This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

Blog #9 06/09/12
Blog #7 06/01/12
Blog #8 05/21/12
Blog #6 04/12/12
Blog #5 04/02/12
Blog #4 03/18/12
Blog #3 03/18/12
READING BLOG 03/01/12
blog #1 02/23/12
02/16/12

I agree with the article when it states, "What is not said by the media is as important as what is explicitly articulated." I believe the author is saying the media, advertisers, and creators of shows focus specifically on what they feel will increase their revenue and ratings, and don't try to accurately show what life is really like. In other words, the more the media tries to make the image they think we want, the more thier interpretation looks fake and not a true representation of reality. We are used to a different reality on the television, to the point that we start expecting it. The idea that the ideal is usually white, under 40 and single, like the article stated, seems to be the norm and this is what we have started expecting. I think over time we will slowly start changing that image, because as each year goes by our culture becomes more of a mix anyway. So, more change is probably going to happen like we have already seen in the last few decades, but it won't happen overnight.

Article posted May 21, 2012 at 06:46 PM • comment • Reads 49 • see all articles