This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

Blog #9 06/09/12
Blog #7 06/01/12
Blog #8 05/21/12
Blog #6 04/12/12
Blog #5 04/02/12
Blog #4 03/18/12
Blog #3 03/18/12
READING BLOG 03/01/12
blog #1 02/23/12
02/16/12

I think I have learned and gained quite a bit and it's definitely been a positive experience. How can you not learn when you are constantly practising and challenging your writing skills on a weekly basis? So, even though the work can sometimes be a little overwhelming, I think it's been a very rewarding experience. As for what I liked in particular about the course, there are a few things that stick out. The friendliness of the staff at McLeod Educational Centre were excellent, very attentive, and helpful. They made me feel really comfortable and I appreciate that. I also enjoyed the group work we did in class and our class discussions. The group work and class discussions were fun, engaging, and very enlightening. I felt that I learned a lot and got a lot of use from them. As for what I felt could have been improved, the course outline was good, but I felt that the toughness and skill level didn't progress as evenly or proportionally enough through some segments of the course (in particular, our major research paper). I felt the first part of the semester was actually a little bit too easy where I was not feeling challenged enough. Then ironically near the end of the course, our Major Research Essay on Media with MLA styles citations assignment seemed to be a little bit too difficult of a leap in only one semester. I learned a lot and enjoy a challenge, but for whatever reason I didn't feel prepared enough for this large assignment. Maybe next time an introduction and use of MLA citation on one of the minor assignments before we get to the major research essay would make the transition a little easier.

In conclusion, aside from that minor concern, the course was enjoyable and did meet my expectations. I definitely feel I have surpassed my goals for my first class at this school and have no regrets. Thanks again for your great help in this interesting journey and I look forward to seeing you and my classmates again soon!

Article posted June 2, 2012 at 01:58 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

Based on all we've learned and my own personal views, I feel today nearly everything concerning our lives is influenced by marketing and advertising. I believe that identity is something that is constructed over a period of time and can constantly be updated and changed throughout our younger years, but tapers off as we age. As a result, it is young people who will be be the most influenced by the imagery from the marketers and advertisers. When considering how much time adolescence are in contact with the media, be it television, magazines or the internet, it is clear to see advertising and marketing are bound to have a large effect on an individual's identity.

While many people often focus on the negative effects of marketing and advertising, I would like to focus on the fact that there are also positive attributes. Take for example public service announcements. Where would M.A.D.D. be without their hard hitting commercials that puts a positive influence on our youth by teaching them not to drink and drive? Let's also not forget those great anti-drug commercials which create memorable slogans like, "Just Say No". There are also the many controversial anti-smoking advertisements being shown today to curb and prevent addiction. When we include other educational broadcasts about health, disaster prevention and emergency preparation instructions for the public, it seems obvious advertising is a two-way street. In conclusion, the effects on an individual's identity can be both positive and negative depending on what is being advertised. Like it or leave it, one thing is for sure, advertising is here to stay.

Article posted May 22, 2012 at 12:46 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

I agree with the article when it states, "What is not said by the media is as important as what is explicitly articulated." I believe the author is saying the media, advertisers, and creators of shows focus specifically on what they feel will increase their revenue and ratings, and don't try to accurately show what life is really like. In other words, the more the media tries to make the image they think we want, the more thier interpretation looks fake and not a true representation of reality. We are used to a different reality on the television, to the point that we start expecting it. The idea that the ideal is usually white, under 40 and single, like the article stated, seems to be the norm and this is what we have started expecting. I think over time we will slowly start changing that image, because as each year goes by our culture becomes more of a mix anyway. So, more change is probably going to happen like we have already seen in the last few decades, but it won't happen overnight.

For our first major assignment, "Making Connections", I didn't really approach or treat it differently. However, I would probably budget my time more effectively in the future. The layout was a little more involved and I had to write an extra page or two. Other than that, I didn't find it much more arduous. As for time, I made the mistake of putting so much effort into the minor assignments, by the time the major assignment was due I was behind and offered less detail. So, budgeting my time and knowing where to put my focus is also something that I can improve on.

Article posted April 3, 2012 at 05:08 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Something seemingly unimportant that makes me happy is buying quality produce. I know it sounds kind of crazy, but I just cannot buy produce if it is in poor shape.

When I lived in British Columbia we always seemed to get the best and freshest fruits and vegetables from the Farmers' Market. However, when I moved back to Winnipeg I noticed the produce here is somewhat inferior due to all the shipping it has to go through. So now when I do my shopping in Winnipeg sometimes I will go to two different grocery stores and buy the best produce from both. I don't know why, but I get great satisfaction from this,knowing my meals have good quality ingredients.

I like to practice using text to text the most often. I love reading, so I am often comparing the internet's information with the subjects I like to read about in my magazines. For example, I usually cross-reference vehicle specifications between different publications and different internet sites. I often compare my cookbook recipes by matching up with other people's recipes on the internet. I also like to compare airfare and trip prices using the internet and the newspaper.

I grew up without the internet. The telephone, TV and paper were all the information we needed. I guess we would adapt, like we always do. It's almost like the internet is more of a luxury than a necessity at times. I think it's here to stay and we can't deny the futre, but ideally I would be fine without it.

I think all this extra information is a good thing. People makes choices on how and why they use the internet, so it depends on the person and situation. In my life, I have no issues with it and don't feel dependent on it at all. I even sometimes feel I don't use it enough.

The majority of my home reading is automotive journalism. I read this type of material because of my passion for all things mechanical. I also enjoy reading the news paper to keep up with current events around the world. Reading comprehension comes very easly to me so I don't realy have any tricks. I suppose my excellent reading comprehension comes from the early age I started reading and the amount of reading I do.

My first impressions so far of this school have been a good one. My teachers have been great. Jody has been easy going and very down to earth. She seems very well suited to her job as an adult ed teacher. The students have been friendly and eager to lend a hand when needed.

I have enjoyed the work so far, most notably I liked the short stories we have read.

I think the thing I will have to do to ensure I succeed as an adult student is, I will have to make an effort to show up to class every day.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 04:35 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

My favorite book is anything by Dean Coontz. I like him as an auther because he's a great writer with a twisted and wild imagination. My favorite book of his has got to be Watcher. If u get the chance read a Dean Coontz book,I would highly recomend it...if your stomach can handle it.