This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

Blog #9 06/09/12
Blog #7 06/01/12
Blog #8 05/21/12
Blog #6 04/12/12
Blog #5 04/02/12
Blog #4 03/18/12
Blog #3 03/18/12
READING BLOG 03/01/12
blog #1 02/23/12
02/16/12

i think that the advertising and marketing that these company's put out there for their product do change the way we might think about their product. They try and target a certain audience and this seems to be working. Another big way to attract people to their product is by having musicians or movie stars that are either very well known by most people or the up and coming star that has taken over the airwaves. And a lot of these commercials don't tell you much about the product itself but they put it in a setting that feels good and people are having fun with their product. Example, the Winnipeg Jets came back this past year and Budweiser introduced a line of beer "Fan Brew" that redesigned the case and the can to have the Winnipeg Jets logo with the team colors. Targeting fan's and beer drinkers. I thought this was such a great idea, for Budweiser on a selling standpoint was brilliant and for the buyers to celebrate the return of their team. Not only did they just throw their beer into a redesigned can but they also took water from Winnipeg and transported it to Edmonton where the beer was brewed. They even gave you the can as a souvenir!

Article posted April 27, 2012 at 04:32 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

The affect that advertising and marketing has on an individual’s identity is becoming overwhelming. When you look around you see a wide variety of styles some are more extreme than others, depending on who you ask. I know this first hand, I have a female friend who has like six different colors of hair, piercings in places on her face that most people would see in a negative light, and approximately nine-teen tattoos. This is just her style but she always falls victim to ridicule and harassment by the different types of marketed drones. Even when you look in schools today kids are constantly being bullied or harassed by other kids for the way their dressed, or just because of their style in general. All this is caused by the advertising and marketing of products, the way it’s done. Advertising has affected everybody by making it seem like if you don’t have these clothes you’re not cool or if you don’t have a PlayStation three your probably poor, and these kinds of things are what give people self-esteem issues and it all stems back to the way marketing companies advertise. People need to remember to be themselves and that these advertisements are just trying to get your money, so spend your money on who you want to be, and not on what the marketed drones think you should be.   

Article posted June 2, 2012 at 01:58 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

Based on all we've learned and my own personal views, I feel today nearly everything concerning our lives is influenced by marketing and advertising. I believe that identity is something that is constructed over a period of time and can constantly be updated and changed throughout our younger years, but tapers off as we age. As a result, it is young people who will be be the most influenced by the imagery from the marketers and advertisers. When considering how much time adolescence are in contact with the media, be it television, magazines or the internet, it is clear to see advertising and marketing are bound to have a large effect on an individual's identity.

While many people often focus on the negative effects of marketing and advertising, I would like to focus on the fact that there are also positive attributes. Take for example public service announcements. Where would M.A.D.D. be without their hard hitting commercials that puts a positive influence on our youth by teaching them not to drink and drive? Let's also not forget those great anti-drug commercials which create memorable slogans like, "Just Say No". There are also the many controversial anti-smoking advertisements being shown today to curb and prevent addiction. When we include other educational broadcasts about health, disaster prevention and emergency preparation instructions for the public, it seems obvious advertising is a two-way street. In conclusion, the effects on an individual's identity can be both positive and negative depending on what is being advertised. Like it or leave it, one thing is for sure, advertising is here to stay.

Article posted June 20, 2012 at 02:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 42

I think that media has a huge effect on everyones personal identity.to be cool now a days you have o wear name brand stuff .Brand names are worn for mainly social acceptance and popularity. Media is in everyday life so there is no way of avoiding it. You see it on the sides of city buses,bus sop benches,tv and on doors of bathroom stalls,you name it and media advertising has used it. i think that it hurts everyone equally. everyone is at risk from it .

Article posted May 8, 2012 at 03:01 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 36

I think advertising and marketing effect the consumer by selling the product. The ad shows to the consumer by telling them the rate is low.Some consumer want to act cool to wear new brand clothes and shoes. My friend wear new brand clothes and shoes because she really likes expensive clothes.Even she doesn't go to work.My opinion is that when you wear brands clothes or shoes, you won't act smart. You will be the same person as you are.

The media has a huge effect on everyone’s personal identity. First of all with the brand names, I believe that many people define you a lot of the time by what you wear rather than by the kind of person you actually are. You are told that if you do not spend the 200$ on a pair of shoes or a purse than you will not be a good athlete, or popular etc. Brand names are worn for mainly social acceptance and popularity. Media is everywhere so there is no way of avoiding it. You see it on the sides of city buses, on the door of bathroom stalls, bus stops, billboards, flyers, magazines you name it and media advertising has used it. The biggest victims of Media I believe are woman and children. Women are portrayed as objects in the media rather than human beings. The media tells you that you have to be a size 2, have a gorgeous face and wear tons of makeup to attract a man and that attracting a man is the thing you should be focusing on most. Girls from a young age see this unrealistic standard and strive to be perfect and look a certain way just to impress others. Have you also ever noticed on some children’s cartoons how different races are portrayed and stereotyped? Children have no filter and do not understand how this is wrong. So they grow up with these ideas in their head of what certain people should look like. The media I think affects everyone in mostly a negative way.

Advertising affects everyone because, the companies who want to sell their products are always trying to make you feel down, bad or uncool, so that you buy their products.They are putting a price on happiness. They are using "perfect" people to be the image of the products so that everyone who wants to be like them will buy the products.We are being manipulated by companies who want to sell their food to us at anytime of the day and then we are made to feel guilty by other companies that we are eating too much or are lazy so that we buy things to lose weight. So they all win except us. We are being influenced to overeat junk foods but we are expected to look like a toothpick. This advertisement brainwashing starts since we are children. As children our identity is not yet defined so we are easier targets.

I think how advertising and marketing affect a persons identity is "lifestyle branding" some companys aim to certain people when they advertise like nike always gets athletes to do their comercials so I think more athletes buy nikes than kids but when you see other commercials like McDonalds you see a whole bunch of diffrent people eating stuff from mcdonalds.

or like an adidas they had a commercials with snoop dogg and a whole bunch of other people in their comercial showing that anyone can wear adidas and I think that the way they advertise their stuff depicts who will wear it and who wont wear it if you look at calven klein they advertise more towards 20-30 year olds so your gonna se 20-30 year olds wearing it.

Article posted April 30, 2012 at 04:54 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 60

I don't think that advertisements in the Media are all bad. The advertisements can work both ways, good and bad. There are many people that do have the latest toys and fashion , as soon as the new ipod or the new summer trends hits the commercial and stores people know this information and will go buy it. If you think about why places like Best buy, Walmart, Costco, Guess, Buffalo and Sports check do so good , it is because the power of the media. Even if you are not into the latest European  or north American fashion you will find yourself looking at a t-shirt and jeans that you saw on a commercial or a flyer. I don't think the media is there to make us feel bad about ourselves but to get products out there to the consumers to see in the advertisements. We should be held responsible of our own actions whether others think is a good or bad choice. Just because we buy whats on the commercials it does not mean we got bought and sold.I'm thankful for the media because with out it i would not know if a great video game is out for sale. I love the Rolling Stones but i don't agree with Mic Jagger's lyrics in the song "Satisfaction". Its not all useless information.

I think advertisement has advantage and disadvantage. The advantage of the ad is to receive more information about the product such as what it is, how to use it and to attract the consumer. For example when the companies make new stuff, we don’t have any idea unless we see the ads. However ads have disadvantage. Fast food companies spend lots of money on advertisement everyday. For instance, McDonalds is one of the biggest fast food chains in North America and all of their ads are about the price and the taste of their food. If we examine these, you will notice that they rarely discuss calories for example. In these ads, their aim is to attract consumers into buying their products so they can turn in high profit. They don’t take much consideration on how their products impact our society as whole. They create very fun and catchy ads to draw younger audience like children and teens. These Ads are very attractive in capturing the attention of the targeted audience, which is an advantage to the corporation. However, from societal point of you, these ads are disadvantage because they draw us into unhealthy lifestyle.

Advertising and marketing have a massive role in everyones lives. Today companies are advertising their products by using models and other stuff in their commercials to sell their products. I think that advertising and marketing affects peoples lives in a certain way like, encouraging us to buy their products even if we really don't need it. Sometimes we are confused when watching their commercials because there are to many products that they are selling, and choosing which one to purchase. We are also confused by the diffrent companies trying to make their merchandise look better than the other companies merchandise.  I think that the creaters of the company logo and commmercials are very creative because they make it the way customers would be targeted and they also have to come up with new ideas every day.

I am in total agreement with the fact that marketing and media really affect us. I have often sat back and wondered why people just find it so hard to be real. It is so much easier to become someone that your not I guess. Marketing and Media have made this possible. We have learned to become a resemblance of what we are exposed to throughout the Media outlets. I find this very disturbing! If we could just learn to just be ourselves than everything we set out to do in life, becomes much easier.Being something you are not takes up so much of your energy. Hopefully though, I believe that more awareness to this growing epidemic will start to plot a new direction in the course of self identity. Here's to the real people in our lives!!!

My personal opinion is that inveronmental media field plays an importanta role in our society and around the world, everyone wants to buy everything we see, like brand names products. As a consumer I love shopping and but some people are crazy about Brand Names, this is realy interesting experience too me because now I know how this this is affecting our world because of the pollution ,the abuse that some companies made to people in others countries ,even in America.Some people don't care about this but I'm more concerned of this because companies are taken adventage of poeple ,their are paying low wage and the condition of the factories are terrable thats make me sad and mad at the same time. people don't deserve to be treated like that. my personal experience about consumer is that if I have the money to buy brand names product is okey, sometimes some people go to much further with their choices on select brand.

markering and advertising is very important for companies and business to sell their product and we are affected for their advertising techniques.

i think advertising and marketing have alot to do with certain individuals identity.

People tend to always buy the newest/latest stuff to be part of that trend. large companies selling thier product use celebrity singers and actors to almost lure people into their market and ideas.So there are many reasons as to why advertising and the market play a role on a persons identity.

Well the no logo video was crazy that nike thing really touched me the wrong way.The media makes you belive whatever they want you to beilive.That claqss activity was fun and it proves that sex sells a lot off stuff.I think since that no logo video it makes me not want to buy nike but if i stop buying nike i would have to stop buying a lot of stuff.Personally i am greatful for this work i would of never thought about this stuff or even cared so thankyou.

Blog # 7

Marketing and advertizing companies that use this method I think is very creative.

Depending on what age the model, movie stars and athletes they use to advertize their product  this usually  targets a certain audience. This type of marketing is very creative when it comes to advertizing  their products and influencing us and on how we should look and dress a certain way to be excepted or fit in. For example the makeup industry always have models with perfect  beautiful faces   this method attracts buyers to buy their product we are all influenced one way or another by this.

I don’t think advertisements are all bad I personally like to know what’s available in the newest technologies and many other things. But I also think people need to use common sense you don’t need to buy everything you see.   

Well I think advertising and marketing have a big impact on people! We see certain commercials or ads about a product and we wonder if we should try it out! Some people try too hard to look good by buying a lot of products or trying to copy singers, etc.; I honestly don’t care for that too much. I think people should be themselves and buy or try what you really want to and what makes you happy, not what you think others would like or that other people would think about you differently! With the No Logo Video they were showing how logos can be important in our society, but also people in the advertising and marketing business get more money once certain products are being sold and so on. Logos can have an impact on the company or business. Each store, restaurant, or business has their own logo to try and sell the products or businesses.