This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

06/07/12
05/10/12
04/27/12
04/12/12
03/23/12
03/23/12
03/20/12
03/20/12
03/20/12

To be honest I’m not a fan of the English course all together. With that said I did enjoy your teaching skills and liked the last major assignment which means that the media unit was the one I liked the most. Other than that the course met my expectations and I fell that I’ve met the majority of my goals.

I think this has to do with what the statistics found are different then what would be said by the media. My perspective on this would probably be the same as the statement. Media, T.V and Radio their respective companies would never admit to the studies being accurate and claim that they are equal opportunity companies. In the future I think this will get better and the article itself is already pretty out-dated, so the improvement might have already happened. In today’s society Aboriginal people and visible minorities are used more in advertising and have increased a lot in television and movies where characters are involved, and even behind the camera. I think that the more time that goes by these statistics will improve, and media will be even more integrated.

Article posted April 27, 2012 at 04:32 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

The affect that advertising and marketing has on an individual’s identity is becoming overwhelming. When you look around you see a wide variety of styles some are more extreme than others, depending on who you ask. I know this first hand, I have a female friend who has like six different colors of hair, piercings in places on her face that most people would see in a negative light, and approximately nine-teen tattoos. This is just her style but she always falls victim to ridicule and harassment by the different types of marketed drones. Even when you look in schools today kids are constantly being bullied or harassed by other kids for the way their dressed, or just because of their style in general. All this is caused by the advertising and marketing of products, the way it’s done. Advertising has affected everybody by making it seem like if you don’t have these clothes you’re not cool or if you don’t have a PlayStation three your probably poor, and these kinds of things are what give people self-esteem issues and it all stems back to the way marketing companies advertise. People need to remember to be themselves and that these advertisements are just trying to get your money, so spend your money on who you want to be, and not on what the marketed drones think you should be.   

Article posted April 12, 2012 at 02:33 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 36

For the making connections assignment I took a different approach then I did for the minor assignments. I did this by doing more research for it, by re-reading the texts that we did in class, and by using the Internet to find a quote to write about. I found it a bit difficult to make connections to the texts but I could relate to it personally, and knew of some people that had relationship experiences that related to the quote. I never had any real problems writing two pages, I overcame it by re-wording my sentences making some of them a bit longer, and adding more detail. The only thing I would change is the amount of time I had to work on it, but I had a few other assignments I needed to get finished for this class and for math. But in the end I found the critical response assignment more difficult.

There is one ridiculous thing that I do is phone people when I know they’re at work or some where they can’t answer their phone. That thing is to leave ridiculous voice messages on their voice mail. I don’t know why I do it but I get a laugh over it. There have even been a few times were I had to call them back a couple times because I ran out of messaging  time. I would describe some but I think they are a little to vulgar unless I could put an R rating on this blog.

Article posted March 23, 2012 at 04:50 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 56

Personally if the internet disappeared tomorrow I would get over it. The main reasons I use the internet are mostly just to stay in contact with friends, and acquaintances. I’m not the kind of guy who revolves the Internet I would rather be doing something out side with my kids or hanging out with friends. I believe that too many people are hooked or addicted to the Internet, especially the games that the Internet provides. I understand that the Internet can be a very useful tool for research and things of that nature, but I also know there are other means of finding stuff out. Call me old school but as I said in the beginning I would get over it.

One skill I can continue to practice outside the classroom is thinking about the way I use my language. I can practice this by taking a moment and thinking how I can word or write something. I can use different techniques like re-reading texts, or reading them backwards to make sure they make since. I can practice explaining ideas and thoughts more clearly by using different wording, and by not swearing as much. But I think overall it will improve the most in my writing, because that way I can see it written and just double or triple check it.

Article posted March 20, 2012 at 02:31 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

Other than an occasional autobiography on Slash, Motley Crue, and Kurt Cobain; I never used to read that much. I used to read story books to my son at bed time; but you don’t really need any strategies with those other than changing your voice for different characters. But know that I’m back in school I’ve been reading more and some strategies I use now are re-reading or reading things slower, now I’ve learned that reading backwards can help you understand it better. I’ve also noticed that the more you read it’s easier to comprehend what you are reading.

xt of your blog here!

You can enter the text of your blog

Well my first impression of this class was a little disappointing due to the fact that in my previous school I was in grade twelve English; and I was doing very well. Although I have enjoyed this class, an interaction with fellow students and it doesn’t hurt having a lifelong friend in the class. As far it goes for the building I think it’s got an easy lay out; not too hard to find the class rooms. The work that we have been doing so far is pretty easy but still has its challenges; I look forward to the rest of the course. Now as far as other students in the class I have begun to start relationships with some of them; I hope to start more with other classmates.

Thing’s I plan on doing this semester to ensure I succeed are  pretty simple; attend class regularly, make sure that all assignments are complete and handed in on time. I also plan on asking questions about thing’s I don’t understand, as well as helping others with problems they don’t understand. Pretty much just be as involved as I can.   

here!