This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

06/07/12
05/10/12
04/27/12
04/12/12
03/23/12
03/23/12
03/20/12
03/20/12
03/20/12

I think this has to do with what the statistics found are different then what would be said by the media. My perspective on this would probably be the same as the statement. Media, T.V and Radio their respective companies would never admit to the studies being accurate and claim that they are equal opportunity companies. In the future I think this will get better and the article itself is already pretty out-dated, so the improvement might have already happened. In today’s society Aboriginal people and visible minorities are used more in advertising and have increased a lot in television and movies where characters are involved, and even behind the camera. I think that the more time that goes by these statistics will improve, and media will be even more integrated.

Article posted May 22, 2012 at 12:46 AM GMT • comment • Reads 44

I agree with the article when it states, "What is not said by the media is as important as what is explicitly articulated." I believe the author is saying the media, advertisers, and creators of shows focus specifically on what they feel will increase their revenue and ratings, and don't try to accurately show what life is really like. In other words, the more the media tries to make the image they think we want, the more thier interpretation looks fake and not a true representation of reality. We are used to a different reality on the television, to the point that we start expecting it. The idea that the ideal is usually white, under 40 and single, like the article stated, seems to be the norm and this is what we have started expecting. I think over time we will slowly start changing that image, because as each year goes by our culture becomes more of a mix anyway. So, more change is probably going to happen like we have already seen in the last few decades, but it won't happen overnight.

Article posted June 20, 2012 at 02:42 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

Today in class we read the article 'The White Screen'. Respond to the statement in this article: "What is not said by the media is as important as what is explicitly articulated." What do you think this means? What is your perspective?

i have not read this article so i am going to do my best to answer his question .i think that his means that what is not said by the media is said in some other way

I think before there was not non white in the media, now it started coming to the media and people getting know them. It was 20 years ago, white people hates non-white people, now it changed. I hope it gets more better in the society.Media is very important in the society because the media gives entertainment, tv , read magazine about actor or actress. If we don't media in society, we can't learn about different find thing that u won't know about it. I'm very happy that we have media.

I believe that the media is doing an okay job to include other races and cultures into their programming now but I still think that it is not enough. They say and show two different things. Minorities being under portrayed or shown a lot less than white actors are and this has a huge impact on how we live and view our life. White people are shown to always be successful business people, etc. where a non-white actor is rarely ever shown like this. I think that is totally unfair and gives out the message that they are not good enough. This world is still filled with so much racism and it is beyond horrible. I learned so much about this as well from the essay that I just wrote. Racial stereotyping also exists and most disturbingly in children’s movies and television shows at that. The media does not represent both white and no white actors fairly still although it is a lot more now than it used to be.

I think this means that what is not said by the media is usually important because when the media misses something or misses some words its usually pretty drastic or when they dont get the full story. some reporters do storys that arent even correct and they get alot of information wrong thats why you can never really trust the media because the reporters might miss something really important or they might get wrong information.

I think media has changed a lot, comparing the way it used to be. We can see know a lot of visible minorities or none white people in the media, such as: ads, movies and shows. "What is not said by the media is as important as what is explicitly articulated" in my opinion it means that there is still racial stereotyping. We can see some people talking about negatively another country or community that they have never seen. If you asked where they heard this idea they always say "media". Even though media trying to show us that they are doing fairly, like the way they talk about visible minorities' or the people that appears on the media there is not equality yet, but we can see the improvement that media did.

Article posted June 2, 2012 at 05:28 AM GMT • comment • Reads 42

I think that white-washing is less now than it was the past several years, but there are still problems that are not as often. Now there are more non white people and visible minorities in the advertisments, being actors,models or singers. These people have to work hard and try to show their inerselves to the world and deserve equality. In  the countries that have freedom, the people in these categories have more opportunities to work at being successful and reaching to their personal goals. I hope that one day this racisum will end.     

I think that the racism is less than its was 20 years ego,now we can see more non-white people that are getting reconized around the world, there are many actors and actrices,more shows the non- white people.And I think that non-white people are very good actors and hard workers,they deserve avetything as averybody.

I know that the racism still in some places but at less from 20 years ego is a hug difference. I'm glad because of than big chance and now we can see much improvement everywhere.

I agree that what is not being said by the media is as important as what's articulated. I think that the statement from the article means that even though the media screens everything there are still problems when it comes to visible minorities. The media has changed so drastically over past years but still has signs of white-washing.

Article posted May 2, 2012 at 05:29 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 40

Well i believe they are saying that the racism is not as bad now as it was 20 years ago.More and more non white people are getting reconized everyday.There are more news ancors and actors then there was 20 years ago.More shows as well.I think it is getting better and better everyday.Unfortunetly the racism has not stoped completly and it will probably never stop completly but we can hope thankyou.

Blog# 8

I think over the years racism on non white people has changed drastically.

We see more colored people being recognized for their talent and hard work not their color.

Twenty years ago would we see a colored President? Obama is a mix of cultures black and white,

this shows that people are changing and are more excepting of visible minorities. Although people have changed a lot over the years unfortunately there will, and I think always be some form of racism throughout the world.    

Media can be seen & heard. I think it means when you don't see media on tv, in magazines, or billboards it's still really important. Media plays a very important role in our society. Everyone looks up to it and we also learn more with media around; it's not just for entertainment. We're so used to media being everywhere that without it the world would be practically empty. White people shouldn't be considered the norm when their are people of so many different cultures in our society. They should all be just one! The media shouldn't portray racism or making others feel like they don't belong, I don't think that's right at all. We're all people and everyone's different, but going around broadcasting racism the way they do and making people feel worthless is so unfair!