-

Work 06/15/12
05/16/12
The Force of Friction 05/15/12
Testing Time 05/04/12
Week 7 Blog 05/01/12
Elastic Force & Gravity 04/25/12
Dream Job 04/19/12
Energy 04/17/12
Charging a Battery 03/22/12
Building a Battery 03/19/12

Work is when a force causes something to move. Reading a book is not scientificly work. Pushing a brick over the table is work. When my team measured the friction of the blocks, the work was 0.189 Newton-meters. The motor used 0.2 newton-meters.

DNA DOUBLE HELIX Pictures, Images and Photos

Thanks to lexlucis_msls at photo bucket

How much I love science. :)

In inquiry 6.1 I learned that different surface types require different forces of friction. For example it takes less friction force to pull a block on waxpaper than on sandpaper.

In inquiry 6.2 I learned that the more weight an object has the more friction force it takes to pull it. For example 1 block of wood will be easier to pull than 2 blocks of wood,

In inquiry 6.3 I learned that different surface areas will take different force of friction. For example a short narrow side is harder to pull than a wide long side.

We measured sliding friction by pulling a block with a spring scale. We used the spring scale to calculate how much friction force it took.

I learned that when constructing an experiment you must only have one manipulated variable and one measured variable. All the other variables are controlled. Otherwise the results of your experiment may vary. For example in our experiment of different surface areas the conrolled variables were the pull distance, the speed, slope, and suface type.

I think that middle schoolers should get to read for an hour a day at school. This way students will be reading more often. reading is an important part of life. If someone was reading a book and it took them a month, they would appear very illiterate. Read ing is an everyday activity as well as a source of entertainment. Instead of playing video games students could read a book. I am so sad to see my peers who treat reading like a punishment instead of a privilege. There was a time when only very rich and very important people were treated to the art of reading and writing. We are lucky to be in a time were such creative and brilliant minds live. This is why I think that we should get to read for an hour a day at school.

I looked at the websites on the blog challenge thing. But, I didn't find anything that really showed my kind of creativity. I like to write. Stories, poems, other things. I decided to write a poem for all of you.

River Water

River water everywhere,

River water in th air.

River water on the ground,

River water I have found.

River water I can see,

River water it may be.

River water with you and me,

River water can't you see?

River water is quite calm,

River water has soft palms.

River water can not end,

'cause river water is my friend.

One way you could propel a cart across the floor is to pull it with a rubber band. But that is boring and plain and unoriginal. Another way to move the cart is to snap the rubber band on the back of the cart so the cart propels forward. You could also twist the rubber band around so the wheel flies forward. You could also make a catapult.

But enough about that, now is a time to talk about the difference of mass and weight. Mass is more like how much space you take up. As weight is how much gravity is pulling you toward the center of the earth. To measure mass you use a balance. To measure weight you use a scale. We learned how the increase of mass increases the weight. We measure mass in grams and kilograms. We measure weight in pounds or newtons.

Force is a push or pull. Force affects something or causes something to happen.

Article posted April 19, 2012 at 03:19 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 59

My dream job is to be a teacher. I have always wanted to teach people and I think it would be a fun job to have. I love to help people and I love schools, so being a teacher would be very nice.

I would also like to be an author. I love to write and read. I like to use my imagination and come up with ideas.

I learned that in 2010 we used 811 more pounds of carbon than in the 1930s. That is so amazing. It is also scary. We have more cars and less trees than before. But now we have solor powered road lamps. So we have negative and positive affects on the amount of carbon released into the environment.

Insulation helps conserve energy by using less enrgy to cool orwarm a room.

I learned that to be safe with electriciy you need to be careful when you are using electrical appliances. You need to keep things that could dangle into lights out of the way. You need to make sure that only bread is put into toasters. That only electrical plugs are in electrical sockets.

The fuels that put less carbon in our atmosphere are solar power, wind power, andd nuclear power. These kinds of power are unlimited and dont get used up. Other kinds of fuel like oil or coal aren't unlimited and can get used up.

When a battery gets charged electrical energy goes from the cord plugged into the wall into the battery. Then the eletrical energy flows into the battery and turns into stored chemical energy. Next you connect the battery to the light bulb. The stored chemical energy turns back into electrical energy. Then the battery turns into heat and light energy. That is the kind of energy that light bulbs use. Motors use mechanical energy. Soon enough the battery runs out of stored chemical. Then the battery goes back into the charger and gets charged again...

Zinc, copper, a blotter paper, a grain of white, and copper sulfate solution make a battery by creating a full circuit through from the zinc to the copper sulfate to the copper to the light bulb and then to the zinc again. The blotter paper prevents the battery from short-circuiting.

The zinc releases a negative and the copper gets a negative. This makes zinc the positive side of a battery and the copper a negative side. This is how zinc, copper... make a battery. Yay.

K Batteries are a force of energy and electricity. Batteries can create a full circuit by connecting batteries to light bulbs. The energy passes through the wires that connect the batteries to the light bulbs. There is a negative force and a positive force to each battery.

W What makes energy flow through the battery? What makes batteries have energy inside them? How do batteries get the negative and positive forces?

L. I learned how to make a battery with 2 peices of metal, a grain of wheat light bulb attached to wires, and copper sulfate solution. I also learned the general names of the important parts of a battery. The metals are the electrodes. The batery acid is the electrolyte. I also learned the battery cycle for charged batteries. You can see my blog titled Charging a Battery. I learned about how different charging times effect the length that a battery stays on. The longer a battery absorbs energy, the longer a battery will produce energy.

Washington State, where I live, is a very green area. We have many forests.We have lot's of rivers and water surrounding us. Washington is full of wildlife. I have seen countless deer and squirrels all over. Washington can be very rainy, but that just means when it is sunny it is more amazing. I love the forests and the water. Washington State is an amazing place. I love it here. And I bet you would to.

-Sophia

I have seen 7 presentations informing me on how each part of the Chimacum Creek is doing. I came to the conclusion that Chimacum Creek is doing good.I have come to this conclusion because of the data I received from my classmates.

First I learned that the yearly average for D.O. is 9.16 mpl (milligrams per liter). This is an extremely good level for our creek.

Next I learned about the pH level for this year is 6.3. pH is positive hydrogen. pH measures the acidic level in the water. Since a 7 on the pH scale is pure water, 6.3 is a pretty good level for our creek. Above a 7 on the pH scale is more alkaline water. Below a 7 is more acidic water.

Enough about that, next I learned about the turbidity average. Which is about 35.3 NTUs(Nephelometric Turbidity

Units). This is a pretty good level for our creek. Turbidity is the amount of dirt suspended in water. Under 25 NTUs is a good

level for a creek. 25-100 is an acceptable amount for our

creek. And above 100 is a bad level for our creek. So our

creek has a pretty good turbidity level.

Next I learned about nitrates. The yearly average for 'nitrates is 0.3. The recommended level for fish is 0.04, but 0.3 is still pretty good. Nitrates start out as nitrites. Nitrogen starts in the air and then goes into the soil. Then animals eat the plants and when the animals decompose the nitrates go back into the air.Drinking water with a large number of nitrates can cause methemologoblin. Which means you can't transfer oxygen. This, as you can probably guess, is a bad thing. The people in most danger of this are babies. Which is wihy it is commonly known as blue-baby syndrome.

Next I learned about ammonia. This years ammonia average is 2.8 mpl ( milligrams per liter). This however is not an accurate measurement. Ammonia is a strong, colorless, liquid, commonly found in cleaning supplies. Ammonia has a strong smell. Pure ammonia can speed up eutrophication. Levels really close to 2.0 are okay. Yet 2.8 is not the best amount for our creek. Still, not to worry,this is not an accurate measurement. So, I can't say if this good or bad for the creek.

Now to flow rate. This years flow rate

average is 1.3(m3sl).

Flow rate is the amount of water flowing over one point. This years flow rate average is actually pretty good.

Now for temperature. I'm pretty sure you already know what temperature is. But in case you don't... Temperature is how warm the water is. This years average temperature is 33.5. This is quite a good level for fish of all types. If water is to cold alge will die. If it gets to warm fish will die. At 60 degrees farenheit fish die.

Well I am sure that at least 6 out of 7 parameters are having a somewhat positive affect on the creek. So I can conclude that Chimacum Creek is doing very good. YAY=http://

Fishes are safe. We are safe. Yippie. Okay.... Bye.