-

This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by teacher: Jody Ferguson
Blog # 11 06/18/12
Blog #9 06/18/12
Blog #8 06/13/12
Blog #10 06/13/12
Blog #7 06/13/12
Blog #6 04/25/12
Blog #5 04/11/12
Blog #4 04/04/12
Blog #3 04/01/12
Blog #2 03/05/12
Blog #1 02/22/12
Myself 02/22/12

Article posted June 19, 2012 at 12:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 63

I thought this course was awesome. Passing was my goal and so I acheived it. All I want to do is get my diploma and be done with school for a while. As a teacher, I think you're awesome. We are all adults here and should act like them , but some of us who I'm not going to name (Geordie) needed to be chased after to make sure they were doing their work, and despite the fact that we are adults you still did that for us. I think every assignment was explained very well and all the rubrics were very helpful. Five Stars :)

Article posted June 19, 2012 at 12:20 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

I know that it is always important to check your sources when doing research. usually books are okay because not just anyone can edit them, and to be published, the author usually knows what they are talking about. I know with the internet though, anyone can make a website about anything, and sometimes you could find something that is total bullshit. Or you could be reading a site that looks legit, but anyone can edit it, so it may have started with correct information, but now has random people's thoughts or ideas passed on as facts.

Article posted June 13, 2012 at 10:16 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 42

For this blog entry i would like to discuss how proud i am of myself that i will have finally completed my grade 12 education. For the last 2 years everytime i meet people at the bar, i always feel the need to lie and tell them i have graduated because i feel it is embarassing to admit that i have not yet completed a high school education. From now on i will be able to honestly say that i do have my full grade 12 education completed and plan on attending university to continue gaining further knowledge. 

Choose ONE of the following options to respond to in at least one full paragraph: 

a) Why is effective planning important to essay writing?

It is very important to effectively plan before starting to write an essay. This is because without a structured plan for an essay it is easy to allow your mind to wander and along with that your ideas will wander. In order for an essay to be effectively structured, based on your topic you should write your thesis followed by your three main ideas for the body of your essay. It is also a good idea to not start by writing your introduction. it is a better idea to start with the conclusion of your essay and then finish with the introduction. this is because if you start with your introduction with a certain idea in mind, you may change that idea before the essay is finished and then you will need to rewrite your entire introduction. if you begin with the conclusion your intro will write itself based on the contents of the body and conclusion. This order may not make sense to everyone, but it allows for effective essay writing without spending extra time writing or rewriting any of it.

b) Discuss your own ideas about essay writing and your essay writing process (i.e. likes, dislikes, strategies, challenges, your approach, etc.)

Music is a form of communication because it allows the expression of emotions that one would not otherwise openly express. Music is a force for change in the sense that one song can change an entire mood. For example, a person could be feeling really down and upset, but upon hearing a certain upbeat song that makes them feel good, their mood can change to a happier one, and vise versa. Music can also create a utopia for some people. allowing them to lose themselves in the lyrics, or even just in the tune without words. Music has a strong way of sticking with us throughout our lives. It often brings back memories from my childhood. When i hear an old song on the radio that i played on repeat everytime i am with my friends, it makes me think of those times and makes me happy. Music may not be a strong enough force for change to change and reconcile the world, but it is a very strong first step.

c

Article posted April 26, 2012 at 01:53 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 37

“Change isn't easy... changing the way you live means changing what you believe about life. That's hard... When we make our own misery, we sometimes cling to it even when we want so bad to change because the misery is something we know. The misery is comfortable.”

Dean Koontz

I find this quote to be especially powerful to me because I think it describes me. For example: I have moved about every six months since I was 16. I always find a reason to leave. I always say I hate moving and I wish I had a steady place to live, but deep down I know I am afraid to make a long term commitment to one place or one person. That is only one example of many. I am scared to try to make changes to my life to make my life better because even though it may be an improvement, it would still be change. I think Dean Koontz really captured the way a lot of people feel with this quote. It is brilliant and I wouldn’t expect anything less from him.

To prepare for the major assignment, my biggest obstacle was time management. I find the work fairly easy, but finding time to sit down and do the assignment in between work, singing, and my living situation was difficult. I started by thinking about which stories I found the most interesting, and which ones I could relate to my life the best. I thought about which texts compared to other texts best complimented the quotes and ideas I wanted to represent in my assignment. I found that once I started typing my rough copy it was fairly easy from there on out, the words just kept coming. Editing my rough copy was a bit of a challenge because I always find my first copy to be the best, so I decided not so much to move words and sentences around, but just instead focused on spelling and grammar.   

When preparing for my oral presentation, I did the same things I do when I am about to get on stage and sing. I read it in my head a few times and certain parts I read out loud. For me personally, I always need to read things out loud to make sure I am not speaking too fast or too slow. I have a tendency to speak very quickly when nervous. I made sure I knew what I was presenting inside and out by not only thinking of what I was going to say, but thinking of how to explain myself if my partner had any questions about my ideas. I like to chat with the person I will be presenting too, as well, because I find it less awkward then, to make eye contact. Annunciating isn’t a problem for me because that is burnt into my head from singing as well. I was very happy with my presentation.  

Article posted April 2, 2012 at 01:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

I take singing and that is where I think I use these three skills the most. When I get a new piece of music that I have to learn, I obviously need to analyze it by reading it over and trying to memorize it. Then I have to try singing it. It takes a lot of time and practice to fit a piece to my style and decide where I am going to take breaths and where I am going to use my head voice or chest voice. Once I feel comfortable with the song, then my teacher helps me make it my own. By that I mean she allows me to dress it up by holding certain notes longer, changing the speed in certain parts, etc.

It is important we learn these skills in school and start learning them at a young age because they are skills we will always need and use. These skills help us make the right choices and decisions and help us get through life. I think that as we grow more mature we use these skills in a different way and need to put them to use to help us make bigger and more drastic decisions.

The article I chose was the one about the woman on the bus who was kicked off because her baby was too loud. I changed the audience, form, context, and purpose. I turned it into a rhyming children’s story. The audience became children ages 3-5. The form was a storybook. The context obviously changed to either a bedtime story, or book in a school library, or preschool. & the purpose changed to entertain and it also had a bit of a lesson.

I changed it to a children’s book because I thought that made the most sense. In my story when the “mean” bus driver finally tells the mother and daughter to get off the bus, they are only one block from their stop so kicking them out was basically pointless. & it also made the bus driver feel stupid, because she didn’t make their lives any harder; she just made herself look silly.

My language drastically changed. The words I used were much smaller and easier to understand. I also only put four lines on each page as to not seem too overwhelming to children who would try to read it.  I also used pictures to compliment the story as well. I made the text in color so it was more appealing to children, and finally, I made the story rhyme so that it was more fun to read.   

Article posted February 23, 2012 at 01:36 AM GMT • comment • Reads 46

I had a good first impression of this class. I don’t think there is necessarily anything that seemed extraordinary, but I love English in general, so I had a good feeling to begin with. I hope I will be challenged in this class and that I will be able to do assignments that interest me. Writing is my favourite part of English, but I also enjoy reading and reflecting on what I’ve read.  I know the class has just begun, but I feel like what we’ve covered so far has been fairly simple and generic. Except for this blog though, I find I have to really think about what I am feeling about these questions and that the answers aren’t just coming to me as I expected they would. This is a good thing because it’s forcing me to reflect on how I feel about the class.

I will ensure that I will succeed by showing up to every class. I am not worried because I tend to thrive in courses I am interested in. In a different English class last year, my final mark was 98.9%. It is my best subject. I plan to not only succeed in this class, but in the other class I’m taking right now which is Career Development. I am going to graduate at the end of this semester, not only with extra credits, but I also hope to be valedictorian. My biggest problem is procrastination. I hope to overcome this, though, because I would like to get a final mark above 95%.                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 06:51 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 45

I love to read. I go through about a novel every two days. Some authors I enjoy include: Robin Cook, John Grisham, and Tami Hoag. My favorite author, though, is Dean Koontz. If I start one of his books, I will stay up all night until it is finished. They're horribly addictive. My favorite novel by him is called: The Good Guy. He also writes poetry and my favorite poetry book my him is called: The Book of Counted Sorrows.

§∂r∂h ♥