My Blog-

This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by teacher: Jody Ferguson
Blog # 11 05/30/12
Blog #10 05/30/12
Blog#9 05/09/12
Blog#8 05/09/12
Blog#7 04/18/12
Blog #6 04/18/12
Blog#5 04/02/12
Blog #4 03/20/12
Blog #3 03/12/12
Writing Variables 02/29/12
Blog #1 02/25/12
Favorite Movie 02/15/12
New to Blogging 02/13/12

After reviewing my very first blog and reflecting upon what I wrote, I can say that this course most definitely meets my expectations as far as reading and writing went. Topics were thoroughly discussed in class, everybody participated with tremendous effort, and it was actually one of the better classes that I have taken recently. I was given a lot of new and informative ways of going about my writing (work cited, figurative language use). I enjoyed the opportunity to refresh my research and essay skills, along with presentations, which is exactly what I signed up for. I’ve also noticed that my typing has drastically improved, as well as my word usage. For all of this I am grateful. Thanks Teach. Everybody enjoy your summer, I think we’ve all earned it.

Why is effective planning important to essay writing? For me it is necessary simply for the positive outcome it has on your work. It helps you organize your ideas and make sense of all your gathered information. Helps you decide what’s relevant and what is not. It can help you edit and revise if it is not turning out the way you wanted. Without planning your essay, you end up rambling out info. that most probably won’t make any sense to those you are targeting as an audience.

Doing a research project is really straight forward; you brainstorm ideas and questions around your topic and begin your research from there. Gather relevant info. and start organizing your research in an order that makes sense to you. From there you start writing your essay blah, blah, and blah. Everything about a research project is tedious, repetitive and very time consuming. At least that is the impression I got from all these notes, and web pages that we have read and looked at, they all just seem to tell you the same thing, just worded differently in each one. I was always taught that as long as you did not plagiarize you info. and can understand what you have re-written and explain, than you’ve done a good job. I can still appreciate needing to this do develop the necessary skills that are required in a lot of fields of employment. So yes I’m learning new things, but they are also confusing some of which I thought I already knew.

Article posted May 9, 2012 at 06:52 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 47

Seeing as how we get to choose this topic, I have decided to write about my senior 4 math class. I just finished working on my career research project (can’t seem to get away from these research projects), I’m also really unsure of the relevance of this in a math class. But what are you gonna do? I ended up doing it based on a Marketing Specialist, because that’s what I’ll be taking in the fall at Red River (Commerce Industry Sales & Marketing). It did give me some valuable insight as to what to expect in school as far as course load, cost, employment potential, that sort of stuff. It has been a long time since I have had to such a project but I feel I did fairly well once it was all done, made for good practice though.

Article posted April 19, 2012 at 03:54 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 39

Music is an excellent form of communication; you can express your feelings or tell a story. You can use music to voice your opinions, or to inform people of something you feel to be a pressing issue that isn’t a “hot” news topic. It can be used as a force to rally people to a cause for good. An example of this would concerts thrown to benefit victims, the poor, etc.; you see them all the time. Some music artist also use their music to help motivate political change of government. Another example of this being done would be Nine Inch Nails. They used one of their cd’s to belittle an American president and how he was running his government at the time, so in return the cd was labeled with a parental warning sticker saying it contained anti-government lyrics, even though they sang about the obvious faults at the time, and were encouraging people to think about them as well. (If you haven’t guessed it yet it was about the Bush presidency.)

Article posted April 19, 2012 at 02:07 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

“Know what you are told, which is nothing”- (Megatron)

This is a quote from Transformers 3, which is one of my favourite movies. I chose this because the first time I heard it, it made me laugh. The reason it makes me laugh is because he is telling another character that he doesn’t know anything, but does it in a way I have never heard before in my life. Also when he says it he is not just implying it to the other character, but in fact telling him that he actually knows nothing.

Article posted April 3, 2012 at 01:31 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

I won’t lie; I haven’t done any preparation for our first major assignment. I spent all of spring break sicker than a dog. However the quote that I chose (for me) will be easy to write about. The only real skills that I have been working on are my writing skills, and typing. Although for this assignment I did the pre planning page to better organize my thoughts for this project. As far as what will I do to ensure that I complete the assignment and meet all requirements goes I will defiantly make sure to put aside an hour or two during the day to work on it, re-read it and follow the expectations of the teacher.

Article posted March 21, 2012 at 12:08 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

For the representation assignment I just winged it, I didn’t really do any preparation. On that note, I really wasn’t all that pleased with my presentation portion of my assignment. I say this because I found myself not sure what to say, so I just talked about what I chose, where I got my information from, and at what point in the story I chose my visual idea from. I also found myself verbally stumbling as I talked (going “um…” a lot), looking for something else to say. In order to better prepare myself for the next assignment like this one, I guess I would put myself in the audience seat and try to think of questions to ask from that perspective in order to better communicate. I suppose I could even practice my verbal communication skills in order to be more comfortable presenting to others. I could also read other blogs to see how the other students prepared and use those techniques.

Some real life situations where you would use your critical thinking skills, the easiest ones that I can think of school; because you’re constantly absorbing information and thinking of how to remember it and then apply it, when it is applicable and where it is applicable. Real life because you’re constantly dealing with family, friends, work, school, banking etc. driving can also be an example simply because you have to take in all the info. around you to make a calculated decision on what to do next; turn, speed up, slowdown, change lanes etc. The list you can generate is virtually endless, let’s face it you start your critical thinking from the second you open your eyes in the morning till you close them at night. Even when you sleep your mind still calculates and sorts and analyzes the events (recent or not) that you have been through. Who knows maybe your dreams are just different scenarios that you haven’t thought of yet consciously.

I feel the purpose to teaching and practicing these skills in school is to give everybody the chance to be able to “Think before you act”. Really though I think they do it more so for the ability to decide on things like homework over extra-curricular activities, studying over not that sort of stuff. Not learning how to think ahead at a younger age is very un-beneficial for when you’re older because rash decision making can hold far greater consequences.

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 03:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

The final text I chose for my variables assignment was the “mother booted off bus”. I did it as a response to editor with referenced info. from the original text. I changed the form as well as the audience and hopefully the context. I chose to do it this way because it felt natural as I was writing it. After it was written is when I filled out the chart to show my changes in form context etc. Teacher was right if you do it first then write you end up changing it in the end or revising several small pieces that end being more confusing than anything. My writing changed in the sense that know it os more narrative than informative?

My first impressions of the class room were very positive. I mean the class room could be bigger, and there can be some distractions at times (pizza place next door) but it could be worse. On the positive note there’s tons of help, they have a lab set-up all the tools we need are here. It is my first time attending the learning center. My classmates seem like a really good group of people. It's nice to see a small unfamiliar group of people quickly shed any insecurity’s in order to participate in class, just makes things easier. I like how the teacher (Jody) really takes the time to explain the material that we are working on, and encourages the group/individual participation. The material that we work on is definitely what I wanted to take (as an academic refresher) in order to work on fine tuning my reading and writing skills for R.R.C. in the fall. So I look forward to the upcoming material, in order to be challenged.

To succeed as an adult student this semester I will most definitely apply as much spare time as possible to my assignments and homework, continuously identify any weak areas and work at correcting them , and to make sure that I ask for help if needed in order to do so. Doing these few things is and has worked in my other classes (Math Cons. Gr.12/Microsoft program classes). Basically do everything opposite of what I did in High school. Lol.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 03:05 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 34

My favorite movie hands down would have to ALIENS: Collectors edition. Mainly because aliens in this movie are bad-ass. The collectors edition is my preffered choice because it gives you an additional 15 min. or so showing the initial alien infestation. I could go on forever about this movie, but I'll stop with that.

Article posted February 14, 2012 at 02:45 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Not a hundred percent sure that what i'm doing is correct, but I'm going to attempt it anyway.

A little about myself; i'm 29 years old, I have decided to pursue a post-secondary education (already registered for the fall at Red River). I am a grade twelve graduate, I'm here to refresh my academic skills in order to prepare myself for a college enviroment. I have a dog and scorpions for pets at home. I enjoy music, movies, and most of all my video games. To date I have enjoyed the time I've spent in class, good people (always makes things easier), and I'm re-learning a lot of basic things that I've forgotten over the years. Thats all for now, as I'm not entirely sure what else to "blog" right now.