This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

06/14/12
06/04/12
06/04/12
06/04/12
04/25/12
04/25/12
04/25/12
04/23/12
04/23/12
04/04/12
02/22/12

Article posted March 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 80

In this assignment I chose to write about the article, “Canada Breeds Cows That Burp Less”. For the two variables that I had to change I chose to change the context and the purpose. I twisted the article by changing the ending  so the methane gas that was produced by the cows is now coming from the humans. 

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 02:48 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 43

I made my assignment into a letter. My assignment was about a lady being kicked off the bus for her child being to loud. I wrote a letter to whom it may consern the bus company or the goverment.  I chose to write a letter because this article felt like it was not fair for the lady on the bus. I chose to make it easy for whom ever read this letter. I wanted to make it clear so that this lady got justices and I made my thoughts and reaction on this letter. I wanted The bus company or goverment to know it's not fair for the lady or anyone who may have a child on the bus.

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 09:15 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 34

For my final text I chose to write about the Northern Snakeheads. I chose to write about that article because I like to fish on the weekends and it seemed very close to home. I changed the variable so my audience was much younger. I chose to do a short story about the fish making it  very easy to read with language that would be easy to be interpreted by a youngster. The language used very short words in the sense that a young child could understand the story and make sense of it. I included a moral and I wanted to send a message with my story. Don’t introduced foreign animals to our ecosystem or it could be destroyed.

The form of the Norhtern Snakehead storywas a news paper column that I changed into a sport fishing magazine rant. I picked the Northern Snakehead story because I like to go fishing and I think its everyones responsability to take care of the environment.

I changed the text so it would apply more to the fishing enthusiast then the genaral public.I changed the purpose of just informing people that this fish might be a problem in the future into trying to get people to take action before the problem gets out of hand.

The main idea stayed the same I just put more info about how this fish could distroy the native fish species if left alone. The language is easy and simple to read for young and old.

A real life situation where you will use thinking skills is everyday life. Every day we have to use thinking skills, at home, at work and with recreation. You are always learning new ways of doing things in life. Remembering things you have seen or heard on tv, the internet, school, workplace etc... Implementing the skills you have learned in everyday situations and making the best decisions that you can in life.

I chose the Globe and Mail blog on a mother and young child being kicked off of a bus. I changed the form and the audience. My final product was a rant for a television news show eg; 60 Minutes. I chose to change the form from the online news paper blog to a rant for a television news show because I watch 60 Minutes and I have always enjoyed the rants delivered by Andy Rooney in the last few minutes of the program. Unfortunately he is no longer alive to do these pieces. I felt the way I used my words was a bit more interesting and I also looked at it from different angles and came up with comments that would support the other person’s side of it as well.

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

The final text that I created for the Writing Variables Assignment was a poem. The article that I choose to work with was about the mother and toddler that were kicked off the bus. As soon as I heard the title I knew that was the article that I wanted to read. What they heck could they have done to get kicked off a city bus? The writing variables that I changed in the final product were the form, purpose and the audience. Then end result was not too bad, I think. However I have not gotten my mark back yet and I would never consider myself a poet.

I choose to change the form from an article to a poem. That was not my first intuition. At first I thought I was going to change the form to an interview. My second thought was in the form of a comic. The more I though about what I was going to do, I kept summarizing the story in my head and thought hey, maybe I can write a poem. So I did.

The language in my text did not change that drastically. In both texts I would say an easy language was used. I did not try to rhyme my poem but I was trying to make the words play, or maybe compliment each other in effort to make it entertaining.

The article that I chose for the writing variable assignment was: Mom Booted Off Bus Because Of Noisy Toddler. The writing variables that I changed were the context and the form. I decided to write a newspaper article as my final product.

I changed the form from a blog to a newspaper article because I thought it would be a great way to let the Australian residents be aware of this kind of circumstance especially if you are a parent or you use the public bus. I figured a newspaper article was the best way to get the message across to the public.

The language in my text did not change much at all. All the words are the same. They are just mixed around to fit the newspaper article form. I find the newspaper article easier to read than the blog, where it was in short paragraphs and frequently broken up.

Article posted April 3, 2012 at 01:55 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

For the writing variables’ assignment I chose the article cold (Mom Booted Off Of Buss Because Of Noisy Toddler.) The writing variables I changed was Audience, Main idea, Context and Form,. Everyone except for (Purpose.) I changed it from an article to a letter to someone. I chose to change it to a letter because by writing it as a letter I was able to explain how the mothers point of view of the whole situation was because I believe that the article was trying to say that it was not fair that the mother got kicked off the bus. But the article was not fully getting across what it would be like in the mothers shoes. But by righting it as a letter I was able to fully describe what it was like for her and how she felt. I changed the writing variables and language to describe how she felt.

Article posted June 19, 2012 at 01:51 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

I was going to do my blog on the burping cows. i wanted to may a song about it. something like the cows burping and having trobles breathing then they met the scientists and the scientists saying we can do it we can work together.

Article posted April 24, 2012 at 01:35 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

In this article I chose to write about Canada breeds cows that burp less. I changed the purpose of the article from information to entertain people and the form to a comic. I chose to change it to a comic because I thought it was funny to begin with all I had to do was add some extra words to make it funnier. The language changed in the parts where they used intelligent words I just used simple and funny words.

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 03:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

The final text I chose for my variables assignment was the “mother booted off bus”. I did it as a response to editor with referenced info. from the original text. I changed the form as well as the audience and hopefully the context. I chose to do it this way because it felt natural as I was writing it. After it was written is when I filled out the chart to show my changes in form context etc. Teacher was right if you do it first then write you end up changing it in the end or revising several small pieces that end being more confusing than anything. My writing changed in the sense that know it os more narrative than informative?

Article posted May 8, 2012 at 01:36 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

The article i pick is no big deal because 10 other people did the same one so it wasnt that shocking, it was the article on the snakeheads over populating the saskatchewan lakes killing the fish native to the lakes and causing a problem for the people.I changed the article into a letter only because i thought it be easier and faster to complete because i was just chaging the form and the audiance, but it took me forever to hand in, because i recently found out i like to dog F***, maybe why i am doing this 3 months later. All i did was change the article into someone complaining about them because they are a problem to the people who fish the lakes for a living and because i like to complain sometimes...a bunch of times, but its done and handed in and so is this blog now i have 7 more.

I chose the article about the more eco friendly cow’s for the assignment. I turned the article into an interview done by an elementary school girl who happened to be the niece of the professor in the original article. I chose this form of text so that I could change most of the variables, without changing the main idea. The variables that were changed were the form, the audience, and context. I made the use of language a lot less professional, without the use of big words or complicated concepts.

The article I chose was the one about the woman on the bus who was kicked off because her baby was too loud. I changed the audience, form, context, and purpose. I turned it into a rhyming children’s story. The audience became children ages 3-5. The form was a storybook. The context obviously changed to either a bedtime story, or book in a school library, or preschool. & the purpose changed to entertain and it also had a bit of a lesson.

I changed it to a children’s book because I thought that made the most sense. In my story when the “mean” bus driver finally tells the mother and daughter to get off the bus, they are only one block from their stop so kicking them out was basically pointless. & it also made the bus driver feel stupid, because she didn’t make their lives any harder; she just made herself look silly.

My language drastically changed. The words I used were much smaller and easier to understand. I also only put four lines on each page as to not seem too overwhelming to children who would try to read it.  I also used pictures to compliment the story as well. I made the text in color so it was more appealing to children, and finally, I made the story rhyme so that it was more fun to read.   

Article posted June 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM GMT • comment • Reads 49

i changed the newspaper article into a short story about how a woman took her child on the bus and got kicked off making it so that people can see how cruel people can be in this world. it's more of a one person story telling it from my point of view as if i was the lady with the child. Audience is probably based around anyone. More preferably teens - adults, i highly doubt that any child would want to read a story about this. There are pretty basic changes since i've made it coming from my point of view.

My final text was on the newspaper article about the Snakehead fish taking over the lake. The context was changed by making it a story from the perspective of the fish being attacked and writing a journal before they are wiped out. The purpose was changed to be more entertaining than informing. The form is more a short story format. The audience might include a younger demographic as well.

I wanted to keep the main idea of the story similar because then I think it would be too different from the original, and would end up being a different story.

The language of the text changed by being more dramatic. Suspense was an added effect, whereas in the newspaper article the facts were listed in an informative manner.

The final text I created,was a speech. I chose to speak about the Northern Snake-head, because i found the topic very interesting. I changed the Audience, Purpose and the Form. The reason i changed the content was because i had turned it into a Speech where i was addressing an audience. Witch made things much easier because there is no wrong way to wright a Speech. A Speech is an easier form of writing because it allows you freedom of choice of what you put in the content.

Article posted June 20, 2012 at 07:31 AM GMT • comment • Reads 49

I choose, the article about the lady and her child getting kicked off the bus for my writing variables assignment. I originally started by changing the writing style to a poem, but it kind of ended up more like a rap. It turned out pretty slick if i do say so myself.

Article posted March 13, 2012 at 02:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

I chose the article about the mother getting kicked off the bus because her baby daughter was being too loud. I changed the form and the audience. My final product was a personal journal about someone’s experience on the same bus as the mother who was kicked off, and their view points on what happened.

I chose to change the article to a journal because I felt that it needed to be viewed from another point. The article mainly shows the drivers view point, but not very much is touched on the mother or the passengers on the bus. I made the journal touch on some of those viewpoints.

The language I used in my text is very relaxed, because it is a journal entry. The words are put together like someone is just speaking, it’s not really to inform anyone so the language isn’t technical or anything like that it’s a personal piece so it’s done more free hand style.

Article posted April 12, 2012 at 06:03 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 35

I choose the article about the sneakers hanging from power lines , I changed it to a song instead of an article . The audience also changed. I choose to change the form to a song because I like lyrics more then articles.

In the writing variables assigment I chose the artical about the woman who was kicked off the bus with her todler. I chose to turn the artical into a rant. I chose to change my article to a rant because It seemed like the best option. And it would also give more insight to the moms feelings. The language of the text changed to first person, as the original artical was written by a columnist. The rant gave more detail to how the mother may have felt in that situation.

The article that I chose was that of the Northern Snakehead in Saskatchewan. The varibles that was changed when I re-wrtoe this was that of the audience and the form of the article. The final product of the article was that it changed from being to the general public and being an article to that of a letter and the audience to Pet stores and to fishermen/women. The reason why I chose to change the article to a letter was so that it would be more directed to the pet stores and fishermen/women and that I find it is easier to focus on that type of audience. The language that I used was that of warning and giving insight to that of the growing threat of the Northern Snakehead fish and how destructive it is on the ecosystem.

For my assignment, I chose the article "Running Down Theories about Hanging shoes". I liked the article, because I have always been curious of how those shoes got there. I changed it to a letter, complaining to a city counselor about the shoes being there, and having no upkeep. I also suggested that the shoes be removed... Personally, I have found the hanging shoes ugly, and decrepit. I used the form of the letter, because i felt it best portrayed my personal opinion. And that's all I have to say about that.