This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

teacher: Jody Ferguson

Blog #11 06/14/12
Blog # 10 06/04/12
Blog # 9 06/04/12
Blog #8 06/04/12
Blog#7 05/30/12
Blog#6 05/30/12
Blog#5 05/30/12
Blog#4 05/30/12
Blog #3 - Analizing 05/17/12
Blog 2 03/07/12

Looking back on my firsrt blog I feel almost the same. Jody you were a great teacher I feel I learned alot in your class. I learned how to pace myself when needed but to push myself if I had to. I will miss English class actually it was nice to run into someone I had not seen in twenty some years! I did make some new friends and had some good times in class. I wish we could have done at least one novel study, I mean it didn't have to be on War and Peace or anything but there are some short novels that could have been used. That would be something you could try doing in future classes. All in all I did the best I could and I learned some new things as well. Thank you for the experience and best of luck to all of you!!

Article posted June 5, 2012 at 03:37 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

In my essay writing process I like to be able to print up information and read through it and highlight any pertinent information I feel might help my writing portion. I don't really like having to come up with my own topic I have an easier time writing when I am given a topic to write about. I seem to have such a hard time knowing where to start when I have to come up

with that topic as well. I like to jot down thoughts on a separate paper and add notes stating where in the essay it belongs. Some say that you should come up with your Introduction and Conclusion before your body but I have a hard time doing that for my essays. my biggest challenge is not rambling on about a bunch of nothing.

Article posted June 5, 2012 at 03:11 AM GMT • comment • Reads 57

I really didn't think it was of great importance to look in depth to see if all the sources on the internet were totally legit or not. I guess it makes sense if you are doing research since you would not just grab any book off the shelf in the library and extract whatever info without looking at the credentials of the author. I like to know that a book i use for research is not just a bunch of mindless dribble. I would have to say that I look for more than one site to see if there are simular pieces of information on different websites. Not that I do much research to be honest but when I do I would like to hope I am getting proper info when I retreive it online.

Article posted June 5, 2012 at 02:59 AM GMT • comment • Reads 48

Well since we can write about what ever we want I just want to say that I don't really care much for blogging. I believe that the thoughts that are in my head should probably stay there just to make sure no one gets offended. Althought I do not really think I am that offensive, I am just honest. to each is own I suppose is one way you could look at it. Maybe I have more to say about things than I don't have to say?

Sometimes people get offended too easily that is one of my inner most thoughts. I was raised in the style of "children should be seen and not heard", so maybe that is why I have so much to say now. Either way I still don't like blogging if someone wants to know what I am thinking I would rather have a conversation.

I really don't think that music can force changes, yes it may change a person's mood but as far as world changes go it will take a whole lot more than music to change any of those issues. I love music and I like how it can help my mood depending on what I am going through or feeling at the time. I enjoy when I hear a song that I haven't heard in some time and it brings back that rush of memories, especially the memories that bring a smile to my face. I believe music is a form of communication to some extent as it can convey a certain message to everyone and that message can be very different for each person who listens. Just my thought and how I feel about music.

Some days are diamonds

Some days are stone

Sometimes the hard times

won't leave me alone.

These are some of the lyrics from the John Denver song "Some days are diamonds". These lyrics are nothing unique but they are special to me, my Uncle who was murdered and whom I was very close to used to say this all the time. Some days are diamonds. To me it means that there are going to be good days and bad days and sometimes those bad days may seem like they last forever. You just have to fight your way through it and persevere. He has been gone for nine years and to this day when things are getting tough I find myself saying this to others the way he said it to me "Some days are Diamonds". This specific line from the song means so much to me that I have it tattooed on my right foot in honor of my Uncle.

Article posted May 30, 2012 at 01:27 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 35

In preparation for our major assignment I have been trying to get a full understanding of all of the different writing styles and ways of doing things when writing. I will work on putting more thought into my writing instead of doing my normal speed writing, though that is really just my style I will try to change it and see if my outcome is any better. Who knows it just might work? I will also work on making sure I have enough content and hope that i catch enough of my mistakes in the editing process.

In the assignment of Representatiion I did a stint on murder adn how I felt about it. I didn't care much for this assignment as I don't much care for presenting anything to anybody. Keeping that in mind I think I did a decent job and yes I believe my eye contact and the pace of speech was an issue but I really just wanted to get it over and done with to be totally honest. I was not enjoying the whole subject I was working on so that also played a factor on the outcome as well. It was kinda sprung on us to present and I don't like being put on the spot at all so that may have made a difference. I guess all around I just have a very hard time talking to new people and I don't care to share my work with others. If I was planninng on going into a line of work where talking in front of groups was a must maybe it would have been more helpful to me.

Article posted May 17, 2012 at 05:12 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 39

In my line of work I have to look at many different aspects and make decisions as to wheather or not it is an option to provide the client with their desired service or not. No I am not a hooker before anyone asks! I am a Nail Technician and I have to assess a clients feet or hands to decide if it is safe to go and do the manicure or pedicure.

I believe it is good to teaach these skills in schoool as there are so many people out there who have no clue how to analize or even just look at something and make an executive decision as I like to call them. Alot of those people tend to hold back on analizing and just ask the very same questions but just worded differntly as they think they may get a differnt answer each time to help them in analizing.

I chose the Globe and Mail blog on a mother and young child being kicked off of a bus. I changed the form and the audience. My final product was a rant for a television news show eg; 60 Minutes. I chose to change the form from the online news paper blog to a rant for a television news show because I watch 60 Minutes and I have always enjoyed the rants delivered by Andy Rooney in the last few minutes of the program. Unfortunately he is no longer alive to do these pieces. I felt the way I used my words was a bit more interesting and I also looked at it from different angles and came up with comments that would support the other person’s side of it as well.