My Blog-

This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by teacher: Jody Ferguson
blog 11 06/10/12
blog 10 06/09/12
blog 9 06/09/12
blog 8 05/25/12
blog 7 05/25/12
blog 6 05/01/12
Blog 5 05/01/12
blog 4 03/25/12
blog 3 03/25/12
blog 2 03/15/12

Article posted June 18, 2012 at 01:30 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

Music is a great form of communication, it allows for individual choice on what one prefers. There are so many forms of music available today from classical to punk rock,rap,pop,country just to name a few. I personally like to sit back relax and just enjoy music for what it is. There is not a hole lot of things out there that compare to music. Music has great force, when listening to music u can feel good,bad,happy or sad. Music for me allows me to reflect on life connect with the lyrics and just get away from things.

Music is a form of communication because it allows the expression of emotions that one would not otherwise openly express. Music is a force for change in the sense that one song can change an entire mood. For example, a person could be feeling really down and upset, but upon hearing a certain upbeat song that makes them feel good, their mood can change to a happier one, and vise versa. Music can also create a utopia for some people. allowing them to lose themselves in the lyrics, or even just in the tune without words. Music has a strong way of sticking with us throughout our lives. It often brings back memories from my childhood. When i hear an old song on the radio that i played on repeat everytime i am with my friends, it makes me think of those times and makes me happy. Music may not be a strong enough force for change to change and reconcile the world, but it is a very strong first step.

c

Music is a very effective way of communicating thoughts, emotions, and idea’s. When songs are put together in just the right way, they can be very inspiring to the listeners. Each of us has very unique thoughts and ideas, but they usually relate to one another very strongly.

Some of us have a lot of trouble dealing with and understanding our own emotions, and listening to music can help us get through tough times and make sense of what we are feeling. With each type of music I listen to, I feel inspired to make changes in my life, for example, when I listen to “Owl City”, they inspire me to be more creative and adventurous. When I listen to “Rage against the Machine”, I am inspired to stand up against things that are happening that I know are wrong, and not let myself be pushed around by control seeking tyrants. When I listen to “Sublime” I am inspired to light up a… hmm.. Maybe that’s enough examples.

Meaningful lyrics combined with beats and volume can really bring a lot of energy to whatever somebody is feeling at the time, inspiring that “force for change”.

Music is used for many different things, anything from breakups to parties, you can either cry to it or shake your ass to it (which girls do a good job at). It has a way of helping people cope with emotions and deal with whatever the matter is. There is many different kinds of music, country, rap, r & b, rock, jazz, emo (bunch of screaming crap) classic, redneck banjo playing , classic, and the people who are toned-def but yet think they sound good. Sometimes there are songs that I have no idea why they were created like that “it’s big in Japan” song, what the hell is that garage, it makes no sense and it repeats its 3 words over and over again, that kind of music has really no meaning, no aid to any situation unless you’re on some kind of drug that makes you lose your hearing. Besides the crap some people come up with, there is a lot of good music and the lyrics could be similar to the way someone could be feeling and our everyday situations.

music is a way of expressing topics that can not be expressed with just words. The flow of the music connects with words to create more feeling and emotions to get the message across. Some kind of songs that really try to get the message across is protest songs. Such as protest songs about gays, bullying, war, and poverty.An example of songs expressing more feelings and emotion is if it's a song about love the song may be slow moving to show the slow process of falling in love.

I really don't think that music can force changes, yes it may change a person's mood but as far as world changes go it will take a whole lot more than music to change any of those issues. I love music and I like how it can help my mood depending on what I am going through or feeling at the time. I enjoy when I hear a song that I haven't heard in some time and it brings back that rush of memories, especially the memories that bring a smile to my face. I believe music is a form of communication to some extent as it can convey a certain message to everyone and that message can be very different for each person who listens. Just my thought and how I feel about music.

Article posted May 26, 2012 at 01:19 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

Music is a very strong way to express ones emotion all though half of the music thats out there is just crap. It does not carry a good message and the music thats on top and played the most is usally the worst. Music is to commercialized now the videos just show how people should look like. The clothes they should wear, the lifestyle they should live. To bad its all about the money and being better than the next guy like its a competition. The artists should stop listening to all the ass kissing managers and producers and start putting out good music with good messages for kids.

Article posted May 24, 2012 at 01:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

Following is a quote by Operation Ivy singer, Jesse Michaels, from the liner notes of Energy (1991):

"Music is an indirect force for change, because it provides an anchor against human tragedy. In this sense, it works towards a reconciled world..."

In at least one paragraph, discuss music as a form of communication and a ‘force for change’.

Music is such a powerful form of communication. when you can't express love, hate, gratitude or appreciation, you look for a song that explains it for you. The song communicates whatever you are feeling at the moment and you connect with it. Music can have memories attached to them too, for example when you go on a road trip the songs you listened to on the way out are probably what you associate that particular road trip to. if you put on a song that is more up beat, it can get you in a better mood or make you want to dance. there is so much connectiion that music has on a human being. The force for change quote is very true as well, in the 60's and 70's all music was, was a form of protest for change in the world, to change the world for the better. Any song that is a protest song, the purpose of those songs are to make a change and to get whatever message they are trying to convey across.

I find that music has a force in change with how the lyrics are wrote and how it is perceived. The rhythm of a song can change a persons mood and how they perceive things such as, if some one was listening to nice smooth country music, it sets a mood that could be calming and peaceful. If someone was listening to punk rock screamo music, they may feel more destructive in a sense or it may make them want to just start a moshpit; Who knows. The words to each song could have the same meaning. they could both be songs about being political and standing for what you believe in.

“Can we go back to those days - We didn't have a care at all

I wish I could remain - Back in yesterdays”

This is a lyric from the song “Yesterday” by Pennywise. It was a lyric that struck very deep this band lost a member in its early years. The lyric talks deeply about easier times or times of youth. I can relate to wanting to be in a certain time of youth but it does have a certain tone to it. the context in this case refers heavily to the younger band and its early form of partying not carrying and just enjoying there time together

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 04:02 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 35

Man, I just don't get this guy's quote. I can't grasp it. Does he mean that music can uplift someone if there's a tradedy like a death in the family or something? I would agree with that, but I don't think music could change much, other than enhancing emotions.

I'm a big fan of music and I love how it can bring people together. I've met a lot of great people through music (I've played drums in bands for 20 years) but other than being a musician, the only ways I can think of music as a form of communication is when natives used drums to "call" others from far away...or was that smoke signals? And another way was the bugles

calling the troops for war. Am I being too literal?

Music is one of the biggest influences out there today.  It is used in so many different ways for people to cope with life.  Different genres generally have different meanings, and basically puts a label on most people.  You can usually tell what kind of person someone is by the type of music they listen too.  So in a way music completely forces a change apon people.  It makes them the way they are.

Music has a lot of force; it can pick someone up when they are feeling down. Just listening to a great song always cheers me up. When I drive out to the lake in the summer I always blast some good country tunes on the way out to get me in the mood. It is amazing how listening to a song can change a person’s mood. The communication of a song is also a huge part of music. Some bands play for the money and some play to get the message they want to get out. J.P. Taylor sings songs about the world and how big of a mess it is now and we need to start to clean it up. There are lots of bands that play this kind of music, you just do not get to hear them much because people do not like to dance or to party to this kind of music. In our society they are not in the top ten hit lists but they have a strong message to get out there. It is too bad because they are trying to help the world out, but that does not make money if you are not on the top. The songs on the top ten now a days are usually about getting drunk and getting laid which is sad to say because all that is doing is making people want to go out and drink and when you go out and party and drink you usually go and do something you should not do.

Article posted May 2, 2012 at 10:39 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 44

Music is very important to me. Music allows people to express their emotions. Music helps create memories through out the years. I love listening to the music my parents used to listen to, because it brings me memories of my childhood. I believe music is the best medicine in life. There are so many ways you can communicate through music. When you're angry, when you're sad or super happy, music helps you cope with any situation. I know of someone that told me that music helps them not to feel lonely, just blast it, sing and dance. Now a days so many singers are using music to express their feelings about what this world is going through and many are donation their time and talent to help people around the world.

Article posted April 30, 2012 at 06:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

Music is a great way for people to connect with each other without actually talking. Most songs are about someone’s thoughts and feelings. Some which are just to difficult to express in words. Many of us are drawn to these types of songs because we have a significant connection to the artists story. We can learn a lot from music. Some which might change our perspectives of many things involved in our lives. For the most part, music is a part of most peoples daily lives and its for that reason that we get used to old, new and future music. Every song does have a message behind it. Some which are easier to capture. I think music would be an excellent way to force change. Music has already forced change on some people’s lives, weather it may be for the better or worse. I know for myself, Music inspires me and I rely on it for many other reasons. If a song forces change yet helps me in one way or another then I say all power to it.

Article posted April 26, 2012 at 02:00 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

Music is a great way communication. Let’s the listeners or the writers know how someone is feeling or what may be going on in their lives. A lot of people go through some really rough things in their life i find that I’ve seen a lot of them resort to music or a type of music that makes them feel they have that communication with someone who may understand what they are going through. It also lets people know what may be going on in the world or with certain issues they care to know about. Music can be about anything it's just based on the words and how they are put together. It's a great form of communication, even to get conversation going with a person you don't know what to talk about with, or to start up a conversation. There are many different ways it communicates with the world.

Article posted April 26, 2012 at 01:01 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

Music is used to communicate your thoughts and express your feelings and just plain and simple have fun. Every song is trying to get a message across weather it is simple or its complicated. When you listen to music you can get inspired or get the courage to do something. The force for change could for example be Christian songs where they are trying to get the message across that you can change your life for the better and become a follower of god.

Article posted April 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

Music is a form of communication that can bring many different/diverse people together. The song may be a heart breaking story that may remind a sad person they are not alone. Maybe it's a happy song that brings a smile to many faces; it reminds them of a good time. Music obviously brings friends or even strangers together through dance. A specific song may inspire the listener to make a different choice or see a different view in a certain situation. A song can even make a positive change in the world. The first song that comes to my mind is “We Are the World” that came out in 1985. A large group of popular musicians got together and performed the song that sold millions of copies that was used to relief famine and disease in Africa, that I am sure helped many people, creating a positive change!

Article posted April 19, 2012 at 03:54 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 40

Music is an excellent form of communication; you can express your feelings or tell a story. You can use music to voice your opinions, or to inform people of something you feel to be a pressing issue that isn’t a “hot” news topic. It can be used as a force to rally people to a cause for good. An example of this would concerts thrown to benefit victims, the poor, etc.; you see them all the time. Some music artist also use their music to help motivate political change of government. Another example of this being done would be Nine Inch Nails. They used one of their cd’s to belittle an American president and how he was running his government at the time, so in return the cd was labeled with a parental warning sticker saying it contained anti-government lyrics, even though they sang about the obvious faults at the time, and were encouraging people to think about them as well. (If you haven’t guessed it yet it was about the Bush presidency.)