My Blog-

This is a space for adult students of grade 10, 11 and 12 English Language Arts to communicate about what and how they are learning, both in and out of class.

by teacher: Jody Ferguson
blog 11 06/10/12
blog 10 06/09/12
blog 9 06/09/12
blog 8 05/25/12
blog 7 05/25/12
blog 6 05/01/12
Blog 5 05/01/12
blog 4 03/25/12
blog 3 03/25/12
blog 2 03/15/12

Article posted April 3, 2012 at 12:24 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 74

I use to be a machine operator making peoples yards look good with a bobcat and hand tools. This sometimes took some creative thinking on how you are going to make this yard flow from the curb to the back fence; it all has to look nice. In some yards that I have done you need to think on the spot and make the decision on how you are going to make it look as good as you can. Some people are really picky when it comes to how their yard looks. One customer we had, spent over a hundred thousand dollars just on his yard! I worked on the top soil for his yard for two days and he made me go over it until it was as flat as a pool table. The other workers and I took our time and got the job done with a very happy customer in the end. The purpose of teaching this in school is to let you know there is more than one way of doing things. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box to get a job or task done

Article posted March 22, 2012 at 12:59 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

My good ideas sometimes can turn into problems. When I was young I had gotten a new bike and I had a idea to take my friend and I to this place about 10 blocks away, where I knew there was speed bumps for cars in a parking lot. We would go and do jumps off of them with our bikes. On the way back home my friend and I were riding our bikes through cross walks where the light said for us to stop, when my friend went through one while he was ahead of me there wasn't any cars, but when I saw him go through I didn't check for any cars but when I checked I saw a black car coming right at me. I got hit by the car, I broke my new bike and I had to get stitches on my head. Lesson learned the hard way. I did make some pretty high jumps at that place though!.

a situation where i use alot of critical thinking would be work. Alot of times i'm required to decsions on orgainzation as well as work flow and time management. alot of times i have to chose how i will spend my day. do i want to do inventory or do i need to clean this or that. my day is always made of the choices. things need to get done but alot of the times i have to think which is the most important and what is appropriate time to do that task.

i think it is extremely important to learn and practice this in class. it helps us make better choices in our real lifes. thinking about what we do. thinking about how we do it. taking the apporiate steps to make sure that the task is being comepeleted properly

Article posted May 17, 2012 at 05:12 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

In my line of work I have to look at many different aspects and make decisions as to wheather or not it is an option to provide the client with their desired service or not. No I am not a hooker before anyone asks! I am a Nail Technician and I have to assess a clients feet or hands to decide if it is safe to go and do the manicure or pedicure.

I believe it is good to teaach these skills in schoool as there are so many people out there who have no clue how to analize or even just look at something and make an executive decision as I like to call them. Alot of those people tend to hold back on analizing and just ask the very same questions but just worded differntly as they think they may get a differnt answer each time to help them in analizing.

Article posted April 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

When I think about real life situations that require me to analyze based on the knowledge and the information I may have. The first thing that I though of was food preparation. Every day when I am planning to make a meal the first thing I have to decide is what do I want to make? Do I have all the ingredients? Maybe I will have to make a trip to the grocery store. If that is the case should I just make something else?

I use this example over any other day to day decision that I have to make for a couple of reasons. Planning to prepare a meal is much healthier than eating out for the most part, depending on what you prepare, of course. Eating at home also saves money vs eating out a majority of the time. Over the years I have learnt that if I do not have a plan of what I will be preparing for a particular day that is when the nasty fast food cycle starts over again or I make bad food choices.

I think that teaching these thinking skills in school helps with planning ahead and if you are prepared in most situations that you will be successful.

Article posted April 2, 2012 at 06:39 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

One real life situation that requires you to think of the different thinking processes has to do with my family. Many years ago when my dad was at work, he fell off a 3 story building because of a collapsed ladder. He landed on the ground below. He managed to crawl to his truck where he fell asleep for several hours. When he awoke he attempted to drive himself home when his truck was over heating. He stopped at a gas station to get some help, where he was honking the horn because he couldn’t get out of his truck but no one would come to help him thinking he was just some drunk person. He was able to make it all the way home with the truck smoking. When he got home, my mom saw the kind of shape he was in and immediately brought him to the hospital. He had 3 broken vertebrates, a damaged kidney and bad concussion. After this accident, my dad was off work for around 5 months. During that time my brothers and I were just babies. My dad was the main financial provider for the family and having to go on unemployment and disability for those months was very crucial considering it took months to even get any money. When you are in this type of work related accident, where do you go next. It takes a couple months just to get an unemployment check and if you have a family, house, bills etc to pay for.. What do you do? I think there should be some kind of assistance you could get due to this kind of incident where you can get the financial help you need right away instead of having to wait months just for money and struggling just to hold things together.

The purpose of teaching and practicing these thinking skills in school is good for future references. When life throws you an anonymous curveball you need to be ready to take action and know what types of resources are available. Also, related to school. When doing any assignments or project, you need to apply these skills to start and complete each.

Article posted April 5, 2012 at 02:06 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 42

When my mom is cooking in the kitchen she can get pretty irritable. Especially to the person who is helping her. When I’m helping her out in the kitchen she never has time to explain what she needs, what she needs done, or how she needs things done. My sister helped her so many times that she is now able to idiomatically know all of these things. But know that my sister has moved out I have to help her and learn these things. For example when I am helping her she will ask “Get me the thingamajig for the thingamajig” If I don’t know what the thingamajig is for the thingamajig she gets pretty irritated and she will say “I need it now”. In order for me to understand her I need to pay attention to what she is doing and use common sense to figure out what she needs or want’s done. Instead of standing there clueless asking “What is the thingamajig for the thingamajig”. I believe that by learning these skills in school will help people to keep their jobs because if they don’t know how to pay attention they are most likely to get fired.

Article posted March 12, 2012 at 12:43 AM GMT • comment • Reads 42

A good real life problem would be cars. Manufactures make cars that appear to be safe when they first start using them; then 3 years down the road they find that with a certain style isn't selling or a part of the car like an air bag is deploying on its own so they need to fix this problem .

These companies look ahead to fix these problems. They expand their ideas and try to come up with a greater one. For example, Nissan makes the ugliest car on the market and no one really wants to buy it, so they will either come up with a new design for the car or scrap it. If they scrap it generally they will come up with a new car or sometimes an old one and they make them update them and make them better.

The purpose of teaching and practicing these skills in school is so in the future when you get any kind of job, these skills will really help with problem solving; and if your really good with these skills they may help you climb high into a company.

Article posted April 24, 2012 at 01:46 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 34

I use this every time I do an assignment in class. But I also used this to buy my car I looked for a used car everywhere on the computer. I had to figure out what my next step was and it was to go to the bank and ask them if I could take out a loan. And at the end I had to figure out how to use my car and how to maintain it and how to spend less money on other things because I have to pay of the loan.

Article posted April 3, 2012 at 01:31 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

For myself, I am constantly in situations where I have to make split second judgements and choices. Basketball and soccer are both sports that require quick thinking and rapid decision making. For instance, when you see the defenders in a certain position, you have to call a play on the play in an average of 2 seconds. Part of being a leader, in any aspect of life, requires quick decision making and accurate choices and plays. Calling the wrong play can be the difference between winning and losing the game. Teaching this in school could be very positive for children, as they will have to know how to make quick decisions in their future endeavours.

Some real life situations where you would use your critical thinking skills, the easiest ones that I can think of school; because you’re constantly absorbing information and thinking of how to remember it and then apply it, when it is applicable and where it is applicable. Real life because you’re constantly dealing with family, friends, work, school, banking etc. driving can also be an example simply because you have to take in all the info. around you to make a calculated decision on what to do next; turn, speed up, slowdown, change lanes etc. The list you can generate is virtually endless, let’s face it you start your critical thinking from the second you open your eyes in the morning till you close them at night. Even when you sleep your mind still calculates and sorts and analyzes the events (recent or not) that you have been through. Who knows maybe your dreams are just different scenarios that you haven’t thought of yet consciously.

I feel the purpose to teaching and practicing these skills in school is to give everybody the chance to be able to “Think before you act”. Really though I think they do it more so for the ability to decide on things like homework over extra-curricular activities, studying over not that sort of stuff. Not learning how to think ahead at a younger age is very un-beneficial for when you’re older because rash decision making can hold far greater consequences.

Article posted June 3, 2012 at 03:45 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

I don't like to over think thing's, because when i over think thing's, they become a problem. everyday i try to keep it easy going, but it never work's for me, there is always bills that need to be looked over for hidden charges, have to make sure the woman knows what she's doing and try to pay attention when she tells me the plans she has for us..... and she gets the answer "hell no" and then i hide before she realizes i am worth money alive or dead. The hardest thing and the most stressful would have to being a dad, everyday I have to be on my feet, when you think you can rest you find yourself hopping up so fast to grab the glass crap the woman thinks make the room nicer before they hit the ground or when itgets quiet and your like shit where is ava, and you find her hiding with a cup of water with my new cell phone inside it and you can't get mad because she looks at you and laughs. You have to always figure out stuff way before hand and have back up plans when the other one fails, and doctor appointments, play dates, birthday parties, and visits they never end and everything has to be planned, things like time and place, how it works with what was already planned, how long will it be, do i have to go, the code word has to be figured out in case i want to get out of the place early. Day to day and as they get older the more the head ace gets, always have to work more to get ahead so my monster will have a good life and enough to save in case of emergency, or i need to run away, but it's never ending planning.

When someone is in a situation where they are responsible for running a business, they are continually required to think critically, creatively, and constructively. When I was managing a men’s formalwear business I had to use these thinking skills on a daily basis. It’s important to know everything that is going on within the business, like which employee’s are taking care of what tasks, making sure all clients are being assisted up to business standards, recording and analyzing any problems that occur, and constantly thinking of new ways to make everything run as smoothly as possible.

Although it is possible to develop these thinking skills on your own with experience, mastering them in school first will give you an immediate advantage when first entering the workforce.

- Kari

Article posted April 2, 2012 at 01:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

I take singing and that is where I think I use these three skills the most. When I get a new piece of music that I have to learn, I obviously need to analyze it by reading it over and trying to memorize it. Then I have to try singing it. It takes a lot of time and practice to fit a piece to my style and decide where I am going to take breaths and where I am going to use my head voice or chest voice. Once I feel comfortable with the song, then my teacher helps me make it my own. By that I mean she allows me to dress it up by holding certain notes longer, changing the speed in certain parts, etc.

It is important we learn these skills in school and start learning them at a young age because they are skills we will always need and use. These skills help us make the right choices and decisions and help us get through life. I think that as we grow more mature we use these skills in a different way and need to put them to use to help us make bigger and more drastic decisions.

It is important we learn these skills in school and start learning them at a young age because they are skills we will always need and use. These skills help us make the right choices and decisions and help us get through life. I think that as we grow more mature we use these skills in a different way and need to put them to use to help us make bigger and more drastic decisions. I believe i use these skills on a regular basis. I use them at work, school, and even at home and on my own time. I work as a waitress, a customer complains i have to analyze the situation and think about the possible next-stop options and make it right.

Article posted March 15, 2012 at 03:57 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 47

It's funny that we're doing a blog on analysis, as I'm getting into analyzing my thoughts and emotions more and more as I get older. I want to understand who I am, what I want and why I want it. This leads me to analyze what everyone else is doing and life in general. I question why people do what they do and why I do what I do.

This brings me to find better solutions on how to deal with life, which brings me to this class. I think education can do nothing but good. The purpose of teaching and practicing different types of thinking will make things easier to understand, help expand the mind, and make everything go smoothly.

A real life situation that requires me to use the different thinking processes is studying for a exam when studying for an exam I must think Critically by picking out which parts I need to study most. I must think Creatively with a method of how I am going to study. When studying for an exam I have to come up with a plan to accomplish my goals. This includes Constructive planning.You need to sett aside time to review the material and pieces of information i have learned.

I use critical thinking the most when it comes to my jobs.  Every time i start a job i think about the future and what that job could bring.  Is there advancment? How much money could be made? And how secure is it?  I had a couple pretty crappy jobs and everytime I knew that they weren't really what i wanted.  Then i got my job and H Paulin and realized that there is room for advancment, and in the field of sales that i want.  I stuck out a couple crappy years doing some hard labour but recently got a promotion that gives me more freedom and in the direction of sales.  So in all i think i made the right choice.

Article posted June 20, 2012 at 07:38 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

This critical thinking process is a process used countless times a day i think. There are so many possible examples i coule use, but I'd say, when i wake up in the morning, and see my empty ceral bowl, i quickly realize, something needs to be donje about this. So in this particular situation, i walk over to my cupboard and examine my possible cereal options. Once ive landed on a flavor, based on my mood, i pour it into the bowl, and consider that delima solved.

Its very important that this kind of thinking is taught in schools, or how would anyone get anykind of task throughout the day, that requires common sense, accomplished.

Article posted April 18, 2012 at 05:46 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

A situation where you would use these types of thinking is being a mom. Even though my son is only 14 months, I feel like I use all these types of thinking everyday, whether it be thinking about how I'm going to get him to eat or what game we're going to play with his toys so it's not always the same thing over and over again. I think even as he gets older these skills will get developed more because each stage is completely different and requires more critical, creative and constructive thinking.

We are taught these skills in school so that we can apply them into the real world when we are finally in it.