Copyright (c) 2014 by Hanoverian13 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Hanoverian13 -- Blogmeister

Hanoverian13's Blog-

Ideas, thoughts, creative writings, or classroom Meanderings!

by Hanoverian13 teacher: Rob Jacklin

Recently I visited a cool place called JA Biztown. It was really fun, but I was always busy! JA Biztown is part of an organization called Junior Achievement. Fifth graders get to go there every year and run the town. Lots of businesses that sponsor JA get their own business in Biztown. There was a Bank of America, a Monsanto, AT&T and Smokehouse Market (the business I worked at) just to name a few. Before coming to Biztown, you have to learn how to run a checkbook and a savings account. You earn different amounts of money if you are a CEO, CFO, or a regular worker. I was a CEO and I had a binder explaining what I had to do for that day. I was always busy, but the people that I worked with were awesome and I had a ton of fun. At Smokehouse we sold cookies, popcorn, and sodas. Someone always had to be baking cookies or refilling the soda supply. As a CEO you have to fill in for whoever is on break and no one is doing their job. Since there were multiple Sales Associates and Food and Beverage Managers, I mostly filled in for the CFO. Also as a CEO you have to meet with a lot of people about different things and sign a lot of papers and pay checks. If you ever come to Biztown, here is my advice and some things to remember:

• You should never be sitting, except for on your break. If you sit too much on your shifts, you're probably doing your job wrong.

• During your break, hit the shops. They have some cool things to buy, including cell phones for rent at AT&T.

• If you're a Sales Associate for any business, try not to break the cash register.

• Have fun!

• Try to get to your business on time after breaks so that you can help anyone who needs it.

Overall, I had a really fun time at JA Biztown and I think you will too!

I just watched this interesting video about Youtube videos "going viral". The man who did it, Kevin Allocca, showed parts of The Friday Song, Double Rainbow, and the rainbow cat. In order for a video to go viral, there are several things that can happen. One of them is that a famous or influential person- like Carrie Underwood or Tim Tebow- likes this Youtube video on FaceBook or tweets about it on Twitter, and millions of people start to watch it too. Another thing is you can take a popular video (like "Friday") and remix it to be funny or to make a point. You could also be very unexpected, like the man in "Double Rainbow". If I had to choose one message that the world should hear, (And there's a lot of them.) I would choose for people to hear that Jesus Christ is their personal savior. How would I do that though? Well,I would probably go the famous person route. Maybe I'd tweet Tim Tebow or some Christian famous person to watch this video. Or maybe I would put the video on a celebrity's FaceBook wall. But one of my friends would probably remix the popular song by Justin Bieber- "Baby"- to say "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, oohhh" and stuff like that. That would be really funny. And, I bet nobody's thought of it yet. Also, yet another version of that song would probably make some people watch it just because they want to or they think it would be funny. So you get my point. Using the characteristics that Kevin Allocca talked about in his video would help a lot when you try to tell the world that Jesus is mighty to save. Maybe someday I'll actually make one of the videos that I just wrote about. But for now, I'll just think about it.

Have an awesome day!!

"Sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest difference."

Have you ever heard somebody say that to you? A parent or teacher, maybe even a friend?  In my life I've noticed that this statement is true, especially at home, for me. When you're talking to your parents or a teacher, you have to use the right tone of voice, or else they think you're talking back, which you might not be. If you have a slight edge to your voice, people automatically think that you're being mean. Another little thing is body language. If you are talking to someone and your body is leaning away from them and is stiff, they think that you don't want to be there. Your posture, the way you hold yourself, what you do with your arms and legs. Those are all little things that make a big difference with people. At school this is true as well, because sometimes if you don't participate in class,the teachers don't think that you're paying attention. In horseback riding, you HAVE to have your heels down or else you won't be able to keep your balance. The bridle must be fastened right or else the horse will throw its head back and won't give you what it needs to . It's those little things that make the big difference.

Remember that.

I love horses. I love their beauty, their gracefulness, how intelligent they are. I love how they will love you as long as you love them back. I'm one of those people who isn't just a rider. I crave that connection between horse and human where the horse is so in tune with your emotions that when you're happy, it'll be happy with you. When you're sad, it'll try to make you feel better. I love riding because that is when you truly get to know your horse's personality.  Jumping and dressage (Dressage is like horses doing ballet-only MUCH cooler) are some of the best trust builders.

My connection to this beautiful animal started when my best friend signed me up for a riding camp. I fell in love with it the moment I got on that horse and started moving. I did various camps throughout the past few years and just recently started riding regularly, for lessons. I love the way they move. When most people think of the love of their life, they think of that special someone that makes them smile whenever they think of them. But not me.

I think of horses.

I just watched a video that was about a very cool magician named Marco Tempest. He had some sort of digital screen that turned his drawings into an interactive cartoon! It was really interesting. But I also learned something about what technology should NOT do. I do not believe that technology should be used to lie. Marco said himself that all magic was based on deception and lies. But my opinion is that technology shouldn't be a part of magic, which is deception-lying. I would rate this video seven stars out of ten. I really did think that the magic he did with the screen, and in another video, iPod touches, was cool and interesting. But like I said earlier, I don't think that technology should be a part of lies and deception-ANY lies and deception- including magic. When he talked about how so many things were lies in his iPod touch video, I kind of felt uncomfortable. We use technology to learn, do work, and connect with our friends and family- not handle our personal stuff or lie to others.

Here are the links to those videos

http://www.ted.com/talks/marco_tempest_the_magic_of_truth_and_lies_on_ipod

s.html

http://www.ted.com/talks/marco_tempest_the_augmented_reality_of_techno_magic.html

If you read my blog description, you probably didn't guess that I played volleyball! I love the sport and it's the first sport I've played that I actually enjoy. I started playing this year and I hope to continue for a long time.     

Hi! I love horses and riding them. My favorite breed is the Hanoverian breed. (that's why my screen name is Hanoverian13) I love creative writing! My favorite number is 13. I love Jesus. Thanks for reading!!