Copyright (c) 2014 by Atk500 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Atk500 -- Blogmeister

Atk500-

Ideas, thoughts, creative writings, or classroom Meanderings!

by Atk500 teacher: Rob Jacklin

Title: JA BizTown Experience (04/13/12)
Description: Articles describing the 5th Grade field trip to the Junior Achievement BizTown.

WOOW!!!!!! I heard that from all over the enterance. From the Smokehouse to Monsanto, it was amazing. It was A LOT bigger than I had expected. Each kid went to the green and gray flooring. "Hello all JA Biztown citizens!" A lady wiht a booming voice stepped up to the microphone. "We are going to take a few speeches from the CEOs of each company, but first, the mayor of JA Biztown!"  A small patite girl walked up to the mic. "Good morning...."

"Now, girls, there is a smock waiting for you at your stations! Go get those on and come down here (floor) for our meeting!" said Mrs Fischer. At my seat, there was a smiling hearts smock and I traded with another worker for a Minnie and Mickey mouse one. Mrs Fischer gave me a pin and I put it on. It was yellow and it corrosponded with when my break was. Luckily, my BFF had the same pin. While I was there (check out genevablush's blog to see what we ACTUALLY did while we were working!) me and my BFF got phones and spent most of our lunch on them talking to each other! Over all, it was a great day at JA biztown!

JA Biztown is an experiance you will never forget! I really did feel like I was a grownup because there was a Smoke House Market (a restaurant), threre was a hospital, a bank, and alot more! You get  to work at a buisness (I worked at the Smoke House Market) and one or two audults would be there watching you. It is very very organized and well set up. You had two breaks (not including your lunch) and on your breaks you can do alot of things like, get a savings and checking acounts, get some food, get pictures with a friend (photo booth), get a phone, get a debit card, you can get a build a bear and this is how it works...You get a build a bear (for seven dollars) and you carry it around for the day and then you give it back and then JA Biztown gives it to a needy child. It is so fun! You should check it out!

Hello! My experience at J.A. biz town was amazing because I was the CEO of The Warehouse and I wrought checks, took breaks, Got paid, and learned a lot about working in a business. The not exciting things was working for so long and having to deal with a different business on your break.

JA Biztown was really fun. We got to eat at the smokehouse we could also buy things there like cookies,popcorn, and soda. you only got to have your break when the traffic light matches your color badge. The job I got was at the smokehouse. I was a stock manager. I took supplies to other businesses when they ran out of supplies. We sold candy grams. Candy grams are liquorice, they come with a piece of paper and you fill that paper out and give the piece of candy to that special someone who you are giving it to. We also sold stamps for when you need so send something in the mail. We got two breaks the first was twenty minutes the second was thirty because we needed time to eat lunch.

Two weeks ago,  me and my class went on a field trip to JA biz town. ( JA means jounor achievement)

It's where you go in this building to do a normal day job... like your mom and dad. We all got different jobs there. I got to work at the smoke house market,I was a casier worker. It was a bit hard to do. At lunch hour the hole resteraunt was packed! We had custormers backed up in a line all the way to the bank.

We had to cook popcorn cookies serve sodas like it was a party! lukly it was my brake. After that brake

I had to give orders and serve them like crazy, I was luky that my friends helped. Few.. well that's that, that's the story. fin

that 

JA Biztown is short for Junior Achievement Biztown. During school for about 6 weeks every Thursday we had JA class. In class, we learned how to write checks and cash registers. We also learned how to use a Debit Card. (This scared my mom a little.) After those 6 weeks (And after Spring Break!) we went to the Junior Achievement place about 15 minutes from school. My mom was a Bank Teller, so she drove me there as well. At school, we filled out job applications, my first choice was the DJ of the Radio Station, my second was the CEO of the Radio Station (Which was my final job) Then, my last choice the CEO of the Bank. I loved my job, every part of it. Well, I didn't exactly like having to sign all the checks... But still it was AWESOME! (By the end of the day, I thought my hand was going to fall off) We each had 2 breaks- The first 20 minutes, the second break 30 minutes because we had to eat lunch AND spend all of our money. The breaks were divided into 3 groups; Red, Yellow, Green. There was a Traffic light telling us when our break was. I made a Build-A-Bear, got a lanyard made with my picture of me on it, and bought a soda and a cookie. (I still had about $5 left in my account… Woops) I gave a speech at the opening Town Meeting, I REALLLY messed up! After my first break, they kind of ran out of stuff for me to do. I got bored. Really bored so I started answering the constantly ringing phone where I took song requests, everyone wanted to hear the song “We are Family” it got really annoying. But, half of the time it was the TV station; KPLR 11 telling us to turn off the music so they could do another ad. It. Got. Really. Old. Poor Payton- She NEVER got to go on air and when she did nobody could hear her. When my CFO- Jessica was on break, I got something to do. I worked on the computer for about 15 minnutes, then had to sign more checks. Again. Most of the day was like this. My only real problem with JA Biztown was 1) My foot fell asleep during all the meetings and 2) I didn't get to eat lunch. Other than that, I had a GREAT time!  If anyone ever questions going there, GO! It rocks! (Just bring a small lunch) I would give this field trip to JA Biztown 5 Stars- It was ALWAYS active, eviciting in SO many ways, and so much more!

My expirience at JA Biztown was really fun, but at the same time confusing. I like it because I got to work at the warehouse. At the warehouse you look at a slip of paper. The slip of paper tells you what supplies the company needs. After we put the supplies in the basket we deliver the supplies to the  company that needed them. There are buttons that tell when your brake is, if your color is not shown on the stop light, that tells you when your brake is you are supposed to be working.  

Recently I visited a cool place called JA Biztown. It was really fun, but I was always busy! JA Biztown is part of an organization called Junior Achievement. Fifth graders get to go there every year and run the town. Lots of businesses that sponsor JA get their own business in Biztown. There was a Bank of America, a Monsanto, AT&T and Smokehouse Market (the business I worked at) just to name a few. Before coming to Biztown, you have to learn how to run a checkbook and a savings account. You earn different amounts of money if you are a CEO, CFO, or a regular worker. I was a CEO and I had a binder explaining what I had to do for that day. I was always busy, but the people that I worked with were awesome and I had a ton of fun. At Smokehouse we sold cookies, popcorn, and sodas. Someone always had to be baking cookies or refilling the soda supply. As a CEO you have to fill in for whoever is on break and no one is doing their job. Since there were multiple Sales Associates and Food and Beverage Managers, I mostly filled in for the CFO. Also as a CEO you have to meet with a lot of people about different things and sign a lot of papers and pay checks. If you ever come to Biztown, here is my advice and some things to remember:

• You should never be sitting, except for on your break. If you sit too much on your shifts, you're probably doing your job wrong.

• During your break, hit the shops. They have some cool things to buy, including cell phones for rent at AT&T.

• If you're a Sales Associate for any business, try not to break the cash register.

• Have fun!

• Try to get to your business on time after breaks so that you can help anyone who needs it.

Overall, I had a really fun time at JA Biztown and I think you will too!

At JA Biztown I had a lot of fun! My job was the CEO of the bank. I liked my job a lot. I had to do a lot of paying bills. My job was interesting and I was busy. During some of my breaks I went to go get cookies and to go shop! I hope I can go back soon!

When I when to JA biztown I was a reporter it was exiting I got to ask people questions and look around JA. It was good experience  to see how a reporter does his work asking people questions and saying them on air. then on your breaks you would cash your check then go and buy some stuff then we had a meeting at the end and brought home are stuff

When I went to JA Biztown everyone had a job. My job was to work at the smokehouse market and I was a sales associate. I was very excited to work at the smokehouse market because I was able to sell cookies, drinks, and popcorn. I was a little nervous at first about working the cash register but after I got the hang of it I had a blast. While I was there I felt like an adult because you could bye cellphones and you earned paychecks. Things that I would do differently at JA is that I would go and get a debit card earlier and explore JA a little more than I did. JA was the most exciting field trip that I have ever taking it was a great expirence.

When I went to JA Biztown last week I was the CFO for the radio station. I made all of the checks and bills for my company. When we needed to make a deposit I went to the bank and did that too. I even got a phone!!!!!  I also got to say what are profit was at the end of the day. I bought a soda and popcorn while I was there also. The phone at our radio was consantly ringing for song requests and KJAR 11 the TV station telling us to stop the music so they could do another advertisment. AGAIN. Anyways I had so much fun and my hand was falling off at the end of the day!! Well that's all I can think of right know! BYE!

In J. A. Biztown, I was the CFO of the warehouse. I had a really good time. I got a Debit Card at Mastercard.l boght soda, popcorn, and cookies at smokehouse Market. I bnought slime at Monsanto. I said a speach at the end of J. A. Biztown. Visit their website at www.ja.org/programs/programs_elem_biztown.shtml.

My job at JA Biztown was the dj at the radio station.  I had a great time.  There were a lot of kids there.  I had two breaks and was working the rest of the time.  During my breaks I did many different things. On my first break, after I went to the bank, I went to the high school to get an education.  On my second break I went to Build a Bear Workshop to get a bear.  At the end of the day I gave my bear back to JA so they could give it to charity.  Then I went to the Smokehouse Market to eat lunch.  I also bought a cookie at the Smokehouse Market.  I ate lunch outside.  If I got to go again I would get something from the sports store.  The good thing about Biztown is that you don't buy anything with real money you buy it with JA bucks.  Overall I had a great time at Biztown. 

At JA biztown my job was a teller at bank of America in the bank a lot of people came to me for help or to cash in there checks and the CEO of the bank was so nice to everyone there. On my breaks I got a build a bear and I got a badge at JA Biztown.

On March 26 my class went to JA Biztown. My job was the ad excective at the radio station. My responsibilitys were to collect the ads and give them to the CEO. Then, she would make a bill to the company for me to give to them, and they would give me back a check to give the the CEO. Caleb was also an ad excective. We had two breaks and when I was on the second break Caleb finished all of the ads. So I went around asking people for song requests. No really wanted to. Payton (the dj) gave me a bag of prizes and a sheet of questions. I had to ask the people a question and if they got it right they would get a prize out of the bag. Once I ran out of prizes I still had 15 more minutes until the day was over. I tried again to get people to make song requests but no one really wanted to. Then, the day was over.

When I first walked into JA Biztown I thought it was a little small,but then I got to my buisness I thought it was a little better.Then we all went to go listen to the speeches that was probaly my least favorite part. After that I had my brake and cashed in my paycheck.

I was very happy my friend had the same break time as me my friend also worked in the same buisness as me. I was  a receptionist at the St. Louis Childrens Hospital. At my lunch brake I went and made a build a

receptionist at the St. Louis Childrens Hospital. At my lunch brake I went and made a build a bear with my friend it was fun. After my lunch break I went back to work. When the day was over we had the end of the day speak and made our buisness clean and then left. I had a great time a JA Biztown it was really fun. I really want to go back!!!!

On March 26, 2012 me and my class went to JA  Biztown.  I was the Sales Associate at the Smoke House Market.  I was at the cash register.  I was selling popcorn, soda , straws, and cookies.  You would get a paycheck and bring it to the bank.  then you hade money to spend.  I went to Monsanto and got slime.  Then I went to De Smet and did a math lesson.  Then I went to mastercard and got a debit card.  Then I went to work again.  I worked with Ethan and Luke. Emma was my CEO.  I got fresh cookies out of the oven from Patrick and Sophia.  I got soda from Olivia and Clay.  Andrew was my CFO.  At the middle of the lunch break I broke the cash register.  I think my JA Biztown expierince was very fun.  I wish I could go back again. 

I thought that JA was so much fun! I had a great time! I liked it so much and it was so real! They made it looked like  a real town! I think they did a great job setting it up! At first I thought it was kinda small I pictured everything to be bigger! I had a lot of fun in my buisness I was a nurse at Children's Hospital. There were two other nurses there with me. There was a receptionist there too. The good thing is that I got to be with all my friends! I would gladly go to JA Biztown again because it was so much fun. The nurse takes the baby and weighs it, measures it's height, and measures it's head circomfrance. Then we put the baby in daycare. If I went back I would probably do something different but I would still work at Children's Hospital.

I loved JA biztown. At the start of the day the CEOs gave a speech.I was a Stock Manager at the Warehouse. I dilivered the supplies to all the buisnesses, switched out unsharpened pencils with sharpend ones, and collect bills. At the end of the day the CFOs had a speech. Overall I had a fun day.

When I was at JA Biztown I was a mail carrier it  was so much fun. I was on break with my best friend.I had to deliver mail to all the businesses! My friend and I were both mail carriers. If I could go back I would work at the Smokehouse Market. I love JA Biztown!!!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Hi, I am a daughter and I am very creative, kind, and funny. I love the shows on TLC and I also like learning about the bible and Gods miracles. Last being with my friends and family!