Joe W's Bloog

All things computer, all things technical are discussed here. DON"T use your full name or reveal anything about emails, cell phones or anything else personal!

by teacher: Brian McLaughlin

Google has made some upgrades to its mapping software, Google Maps. Some new features that will be added are being able to access Google Maps without connection to the Internet. This can be used with people who have Android devices when they don't have internet connection. Another new feature is 3-D maps and images of buildings. One more addition is possibly a new backpack unit, Trekker, to be used in remote places to be reached on foot, such as by backpackers.

I found this article interesting because I use Google Maps often. The new 3-D can help with dimensions such as the height of buildings and if I ever were to backpack, this could come in handy. The "no Internet conncetion required" part would also be very useful.

Simon, D. (2012, June 6). Google to offer more 3-D, offline maps. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/06/tech/web/google-maps-update/index.html

As of today, the Twitter bird has been changed to a more simplified version. It is not as scruffy, less chubby, and angled upward more. There has been no given reason for the change, but it will be unviversal. No more of the old bird, or the lowercase bubble-letter "t", they will both be replaced by this new, sleeker bird.

The reason this article caught my eye is because I have a twitter account, but i rarely use it. This sparked my brain and reminded me about my account, so I may start using it again. It really ahs nothing to do with the logo, but the general topic of the article, Twitter, got my attention.

Griggs, B. (2012, June 7). Twitter's bird logo gets a makeover. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/06/tech/social-media/twitter-bird-logo/index.html

By this summer, Verizon is going to force any customers with an unlimited data plan that is looking to upgrade to move to a tiered plan. The reason for this is to increase the profit for the company. Most people don’t call as much any more so that means more data is needed. More data is used nowadays, so they will make plans for more data usage, but also at a heftier price.

I chose this article because my family happens to have a phone plan with Verizon Wireless. I’m actually not sure if we have an unlimited plan or not, but either way this affects me. If we do, we will have to switch and if no, we can never get it.

Goldman, D. (2012, May 16). Verizon to end unlimited data for upgraders. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/16/technology/verizon-unlimited-data-plan/index.htm

According to an article recently read, when people are traveling abroad, their laptops are at risk of being hacked. The FBI has warned people of this. When trying to connect to the Internet, pop-ups would come up and then hacking would begin. There are certain countries to watch out for, such as Canada, Switzerland, Bangladesh, Venezuela, and Russia. There is not evidence that it is specifically related to hotel rooms, and there is not much to do except be aware and alert.

The reason I read this wonderful article is that I would love to travel the world, it seems like a good time. But I now know that i must be aware of these vicious hackers and to take caution when connecting to the Internet.

McMillan, R. (2012, May 11). FBI warns travelers of pop-up window side-attacks. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/11/tech/web/fbi-pop-up-windows/index.html

In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry ice cream in your back pocket.

In Texas, it is illegal to put graffiti on someone else's cow.

In Alaska, it is illegal o shoot at a moose from the window of an airplane or other flying vehicle.

A Virginia law requires all bathtubs to be kept out in the yard, not inside the house.

In Singapore, it is against the law to urinate in an elevator.

In California, it is illegal to eat oranges while bathing.

In Arizona it is illegal to hunt camels.

Pennsylvania was the fist colony to legalize witchcraft.

Every citizen of Kentucky is required by law to take a bath at least once a year.

If you live in Michigan, it is illegal to put a skunk in your boss's desk.

In Idaho, a citizen is forbidden by law to give another citizen a box of candy that weighrs more than fifty pounds.

In Indiana, it is illegal to ride public transportation for at least thirty minutes after eating garlic.

In Minnesota, it is illegal for  women to be dressed up as Santa Claus on city streets.

In some parts of Alabama, it is illegal to carry a comb in your pocket.

In Oklahoma it is against the law to hunt whale.

Under the law of Mississippi, tere's no such thing as a female Peeping Tom.

Article posted May 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

This article I read today was about Google adding an auto-translator to their email, Gmail. Now anyone who recieves an email in a foreign language can automatically translate it right then and there. It is almost like a Google Translate that has been installed into Gmail, saving you time copy and pasting and finding the website. The translations are nto always perfect, because they are done by machines, but they give the general gist of message.

There were two reasons i chose to read this article. First was the fact that I have a Gmail account so anything that happens there effects me. The other reason was the translator. I have always been fascinated by foreign languages, whether it be learning them, hearing them, or seeing them. I also had a Spanish exchange student stay at my house this summer, so ny contact I have with her could be translated!

Sutter, J. (2012, May 2). Bonjour Google! Gmail adds auto-translation. retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/02/tech/web/gmail-translation/index.html

As of April 23rd, YouTube is seven years old! The first video was posted by one of the founder's of YouTube, Jawed Karim, on April 23rd, 2005 at 8:27 p.m. This first video is only 19 seconds long and is a clip of him on front of an exhibit of the San Diego Zoo, commenting on their trunks. With out YouTube, music would be less available to listen too, and no one could see all the funny video's that have been posted over the years.

The reason I read this article is because I ALWAYS use YouTube, whether it is to listen to music or look at a funny video or just because I have nothing better to do. I can't imagine how people survived without the existence of YouTube, an I can't believe that it is only seven years old.

Graziano, D. (2012, Aril 24) A look back: Seven years of YouTube [video]. Retrieved from http://news.yahoo.com/look-back-seven-years-youtube-video-224017571.html;_ylt=AlxW90sNMd3tFU.U7r7VgaUjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTNoYW4zYTM3BG1pdAMEcGtnAzNiN2NjYmQ4LTVhZGMtM2MzYS04NGJmLWY2NDBkZjY1NTA4YgRwb3MDMTkEc2VjA2xuX0ludGVybmV0X2dhbAR2ZXIDZTBjOTYyZjAtOGU1ZS0xMW

Article posted April 21, 2012 at 04:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

I recently read an article about the Android and Apple app, Draw Something, and it's updates. After being bought by Zynga, many changes were made. For instance, you can comment on pictures and post them to Facebook and Twitter. YOu can also create a photo library, and chat is supposed to come in the future.

This article caught my eye because i have downloaded the Draw Something app on my phone. Now i know there is an update and what it is and can downloaded. It's nice to know about the websites and applications i use.

Price, E. (2012, April 19). 'Draw Something' update adds chat, photo capturing, sharing.. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/09/tech/mobile/draw-something-app-updated/index.html

Chris Hughes, the 28 year old co-founder of Facebook, recently bought a large part of the political magazine The New Republic, making him the publisher and editor-in-chief. He believes that many people have stopped reading magazines because of the many forms of media nowadays.He has been involved in politics eversince he left Facebook in 2007, when he started to promote Persident Obama online during the campaign. This makes him a good fit for such a magazine.

I started reading this article because i am a regular user of Facebook, going on daily. I did not realize, however, that he is no longer a part of Facebook. The article was still interesting, though.

Pepitone, J. (2012, March 9). Facebook co-founder buys The New Republic. Retrieved from

http://money.cnn.com:2012:03:09:technology:new-republic-chris-hughes:index.htm

Find more videos like this on Flat Classroom Project

When the Titanic sunk, there were seventy-five hundred pounds of ham on it.

While surfing the web, I came across an article about advanced cars to come in the near future. Some of the new features would be that they can communicate with each other and maybe even drive themselves. They may also be able to have a facial recognition figure to determine if you are male or female. All of these new ideas are assumed to come with in a few years and are designed for safety purposes.

This article caught my eye because in a few years I will be driving! It's important to be safe and this could change my view on certain cars and how to operate them.

Gross, D. (2012, February 24). Tech Check: The talking cars of the future, Google privacy. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/24/tech/web/podcast-tech-check/index.html

Hello, login was successful!

I enjoy... nevermind