Lois's Blog-

All things computer, all things technical are discussed here. DON"T use your full name or reveal anything about emails, cell phones or anything else personal!

by teacher: Brian McLaughlin

On a lighter note in technology news, social networking giant, Twitter has made some adjustments to its iconic logo. It appears to have lost weight, gotten a haircut, and brightened its mood. Representatives from Twitter have described this change as "becoming one with the bird" because now its just a simple silhouette of a bird. Another major change is the classic lowercase 't', bubbled typefaces, and overall text are all being dropped as well. Many companies go through logo changes over the years, only time will tell if this decision will make any impact.

This article caught my attention because it was just a simple article.. Personally, I don't use Twitter because I never really had any desire to. Recently I have seen a slot of companies changing logos, and I wonder why they are making these tiny little changes? I feel like it never really makes any difference or any sense for that matter. In this article there was actually reasoning for this change. I'm still a bit skeptical about this because I don't think people will have any more desire to join because the bird looks a little different. I guess it's not my call!

Tam, D. (2012, June 6). Twitter becomes one with the bird. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57448254-93/twitter-becomes-one-with-the-bird/?tag=mncol;1n

Today, on June 6, 2012 Google unveiled a full 3D version of Google Earth. This program allows you to interact with 3D images of towns and cities, and it creates the illusion that you are flying above the ground. Some have described it as "creating magic". The goal for this new app is that it will be availible to everyone by the end of this year. In a company meeting where they unveiled it, they used the city of San Francisco as a demonstration; they moved around the city and got full images on an Android tablet.

This article is interesting because when I was younger, my favorite thing to do on the computer was to play around with Google Earth. My favorite thing to do was search addresses like my house and local town sites and see an aerial image of it right on the screen. Yes, that was all very fun, but imagine seeing your town (and every other town) in 3D on the Internet... Its crazy. Another cool feature is that it isn't only on a computer, but you can also access Google Earth 3D by mobile device and tablet as well, and I have an Android tablet and phone. Can't wait!

Cheng , R. (2012, June 6). Google unveils full 3D Google Earth feature. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57448299-93/google-unveils-full-3d-google-earth-feature/?tag=postrtcol;posts

This past month alone, Apple has sued the company, HTC a whopping three times! Why? Well, Apple thinks that the way the HTC phones operate are too much like that of the iPhone, and that they are infringing its copyright. Many are outraged by this, because Apple is one of the top grossing technology companies in the world, it doesn't need to continually file lawsuits against smaller companies (multiple times) because they finally have some competition. They are making so much that one could say they are close to a monopoly of the mobile industry.. Analysts also say that it is not a good look for the company, it makes them look very ruthless and selfish with all of this 'petty litagation'.

This article took my interest because of the title. I usually only hear positive things about Apple, after all Steve Jobs was a very great and modest man. When I read the title, "Please Apple, Stop this Petty Litagation" it really caught my attention. I was truly shocked when I read this article; how much more can a company possible look to make? They are basically dominating the mobile industry.. it amazes me how far people will go to make money.

Kendrick, J. (2012, June 6). Please Apple, stop this petty litigation!. Retrieved from http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/please-apple-stop-this-petty-litigation/8086?tag=content;selector-blogs

Don't worry too much, the almighty robot is not going bankrupt, but it isn't making as much as it was last year. The company is still growing, but on a much smaller scale than last year. The reason for this stunt in growth is most likely due to the iPhone becoming availible for many cell phone carriers, rather than just AT&T like it was last year. Overall, Android devices look to be more successful than iPhones will ever be in the long run. The Apple phones are pretty pricey, and Android phones just have appeal to a much broader customer base. Despite this one year slump, Android hopes to remain strong for a while.

This article interested me because believe it or not I own an Android device... my phone! I am not too fond of iPhones simply because they are very expensive. My phone does a lot of what its Apple counterpart does, at a much more afforadble price. On the other hand, its always sad to see major corporations (or any in that matter) go downhill. Long live Android! :)

Chen, B. X. (2012, June 5). Is android having a bad year?. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/is-android-having-a-bad-year

Beginning yesterday, Google has been issuing a warning to everyone who has a Gmail account or uses the Chrome browser. The warning will appear on the top of the page in a red bar and read "Warning: We believe state-sponsored attackers may be attempting to compromise your account or computer." They haven't gone into details about it, as it may be helpful to the so called 'bad actors'. It is believed to be a malicious spyware called the Flame virus.

This is interesting to me, and a little bit frightening at the same time, because I have a Google account that I use quite frequently, actually. Also, on some occasions I use the Google Chrome browser.. Its nice to know when you are at risk sometimes, just to be safe. You never know what goes on with the information you put online, and this situation is a prime example of that.

Perlroth, N. (2012, June 5). Google issues new warning for state-sponsored attacks. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/google-issues-new-warning-for-state-sponsored-attacks/?src=me&ref=technology

June 5th 2012 was a historic day for astronomers, NASA employees, and space admirers alike; it was the Transit of Venus. During this peroid of time, Venus makes its way across the Sun, which will not happen again until 2117.. Unfortunately none of us will be around then to view it, so basically this is a once in a lifetime chance. How does this relate to technology? Well, gazing into the Sun is a bit of a dangerous thing to do, since the UV rays may cause damage to your eyes. With the advanced technology thanks to organizations such as NASA, we can easily watch live streams of this amazing event. 

This relates to me because I heard about this on the news soon before it was set to happen, and of course, it was cloudy yesterday so I couldn't see one bit of it. I was pretty frustrated about this, so I went online, hopped on Google and sure enough, found various live streaming videos of it. Of course it wasn't as awesome as seeing it happen before my eyes, but it was better than nothing!

Tam, D. (2012, June 5). Watch venus' trek across the sun without going blind. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57447733-76/watch-venus-trek-across-the-sun-without-going-blind-live-video/?tag=postrtcol;mostPop

Recent studies have shown that Facebook user's average time on the social networking site has dropped, a lot. 34% of its users have spent much less time on the site than they did six months ago. Only 20% of all of Facebook's users have spent more time online now than they did before, that means the most popular social networking site could be heading in a bad direction... That also means that their top contender, Twitter, could soon take the lead! This has not only affected the number of users, but the revenue as well. The company did bring in $3.7 billion in sales last year, mostly from its online ads. But sales growth has been slowing, according to Reuters.

This article interested me, because like many other Americans I myself have a Facebook. Unlike the 34% who have called the site 'boring' or 'not relevant', I happen to enjoy it. Not only does it connect me to my friends and family who I don't see very often but they also offer thousands of fun apps and games that are availible, and are free too! But, who knows? Maybe in the next few months I'll get totallt bored and convert to a Twitter-er, (or whatever you call them)> Tweeter? Oh, I don't know. 

Whitney, L. (2012, June 7). Facebook 'boring? 1 in 3 are tuning it out. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57447316-93/facebook-boring-1-in-3-users-are-tuning-it-out/?tag=postrtcol;mostPop

create your own personalized map of the USA

or write about it on the open travel guide

In 2011, PC gaming grossed a record high in sales. 18.6 billion was the total, higher than it's ever been. This is a 15% increase over 2010! Suprisingly, free-to-play games brought in the most revenue, Zynga being one of them generating 1.1 billion alone. They make money by having paid upgrades which make the game more fun for the player, so many give in and buy the upgrades, cheats, unlockables, etc.

It seems like most video games are played on some kind of console now-a-days, such as the PlayStation or the Wii. When I was younger, I used to buy discs that were software for my computer, like video games but on the computer! Not nessecarily online, but via PC. I had no idea that so many people still bought these products, so I found it interesting.

DeCarlo, M. (2012, March 7). Dead or alive? pc gaming generates a record 18.6 billion in 2011. Techspot, Retrieved from http://www.techspot.com/news/47701-dead-or-alive-pc-gaming-generates-a-record-186-billion-in-2011.html

Article posted March 4, 2012 at 01:37 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

Find more videos like this on Flat Classroom Project

Basically, this article tells of the fascinating invention which was recently developed by researchers in Japan. It's function is to drown out the sounds of certain voices. It is somewhat of a confusing process, but the main principle which allows it to work is delayed auditory feedback.

The reason why I chose to highlight this peice of news is because of the simple fact of curiosity- how does something like this work? How could this effect us in the near future? Some say that it will be of great use in libraries! I think we can all agree on that.

Matyszczyk, C.  (2012, March 1).  The Gun That Shuts You Up (Without Killing You). Retrieved March 2, 2012, from http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57388607-71/the-gun-that-shuts-you-up-without-killing-you/?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1n

New George Harrison Guitar App for the iPad!

On February 23, 2012 a new app for the iPad called George Harrison: The Collection will be released. It will cost $9.99 and will feature all of his most famous guitars, with every nick and scratch! You can also view exclusive videos of George himself playing them, listen to his music, and go through picture galleries as well.

Anything relating to The Beatles will interest me, and especially if it is George Harrison, he's my favorite! Although I do not have an iPad, I still think it's awesome!

Itzkoff, D. (2012, February 22). George Harrison’s Beloved Guitars, Gently Weeping On Your iPad. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/23/arts/music/new-ipad-app-the-guitar-collection-george-harrison.html

Um hi