Revival

All things computer, all things technical are discussed here. DON"T use your full name or reveal anything about emails, cell phones or anything else personal!

teacher: Brian McLaughlin

Article posted June 14, 2012 at 12:47 AM GMT • comment • Reads 2446

The world is full of mystery. Humanity is not certain of how the world will change; we may be able to formulate hypotheses, but nothing is set in stone. As mentioned in the "How it All Ends" Video, Global Warming is one of the most pressing and controversial matters of modern day society. There are those who believe Global Warming is a myth, and there are those who feel we need immediate response to correct this problem. Prestigious Scientific organizations like the NAS and AAAS Call for immediate, big action because the consequences of Global Warming may be more disastrous than any other global concern. War and disease will be our least concerns in the worst case scenario of Global Warming when no action is taken to stop it. With any matter there are risks to every choice. Action to correct global warming may cause economic harm, while doing nothing may lead to environmental, political, social, public health, and economic disasters.

So which is the greater risk? In my opinion, measures should be taken to prevent global warming. It is obvious that the there is less risks and more benefits to taking immediate action.

Article posted June 6, 2012 at 01:34 AM GMT • comment • Reads 5181

Analyst Eric Jackson has told CNBC that he believes Facebook will disappear by 2020 as it struggles to monetize the mobile platform. He is comparing Facebook to Yahoo in the sense that after Yahoo's initial success, the company sales plummeted. With new technology generations, come new interest, and Eric Jackson feels Facebook like Yahoo will struggle moving into this new generation. Jackson expects Facebook to remain a profitable corporation, but he stresses that profits will greatly decrease within the next few years.

This article interested me because in the beginning of the year I read an article stating Facebook would be shut down sometime in March or April of 2012. Obviously this is not the case. In fact Facebook has transformed from a private corporation to a public one, and the company is now facing financial difficulties -- Facebook stock continues to decrease in price. However, I was intrigued by how such a successful corporation like Facebook could be expected to "disappear" in a few years. Even with their current financial issues, Facebook is still a multi-billion dollar corporation.

Mogg T. (2012, June 05). Farewell to Facebook? social network giant will disappear in the next eight years, says analyst. Retrieved from http://digg.com/newsbar/Technology/farewell_to_facebook_social_network_giant_will_disappear_in_the_next_eight_years_says_analyst

A social initiative named Russia 2045 aims at preventing death by creating humanoids, which are robot replicas of living human beings. This program - also known as the Avatar Program - is led by Russia’s media baron, Dmitry Itskov. The group plans to develop a robot which looks like a human and can be controlled by with human brain by 2020. Their goal is to develop a "hologram like avatar" by 2045, which will look and function like a normal human being.

It is unthinkable that this goal could be accomplished is so little time, but Dmitry Itskov is confident that it can be done. I find this article very interesting because it is a controversial topic. Yes it would be amazing if we could one day prevent death, but I am not sure if immortality would be such a blessing.

Ramachandran, S. (2012, May 21). Russian researchers aim at replacing physical body with humanoid avatars by 2045 [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://digg.com/newsbar/Technology/russian_researchers_aim_at_replacing_physical_body_with_humanoid_avatars_by_2045

On Sept. 21, Scott Kildall and Nathaniel Stern started a mission to send tweets into space so that the messages reach a distance planet named by astronomers as GJ667Cc. It is believed to contain life and members of Kildall's and Stern's team hope to raise money, establish a government site, and send tweets to GJ667Cc. It is possible that life may exist on this planet with similar technology, and they hope to receive responses to the space tweets.

Does life exist off our planet? Mankind has been unable t answer this question, but with the Space Tweet Program maybe we will finally be able to discover extraterrestrial life. I am very interested by mankind's quest to find alien life, and I own a Twitter account. I hope to send a space tweet once Kildall's and Stern's team get everything organized.

Marable, E. (2012, May 08). [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://digg.com/newsbar/Technology/will_our_alien_first_contact_be_in_140_characters_or_less

create your own personalized map of the USA

or check out ourCalifornia travel guide

create your own visited country map

or check our Venice travel guide

A new vaccine has recently been developed to help treat cancer patients. It is designed to cause an immune response and train a patient's body to "seek out and destroy tumor cells" (Gray, 2012). The Vaccine has already proven to be effective against breast, prostate, and other common cancers. Further testing is required, but this new vaccine may be the basis to finding a cure to all forms of cancer.

As a student of a medical based high school, any new advancement in the field of medicine is exciting. I have had family members that died from cancer and it is my hope that this new vaccine will become panacea for all cancer patients.

Gray, R. (2012, April 08). Digg. Retrieved from http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/universal_cancer_vaccine_developed_telegraph

Article posted April 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

I was the only student to write a comment on the Mr. M's Blog about Microsoft Word and formatting tables.

In the past, I have had teachers who utilized videos to expand their explanation of a topic during class, but I never had a teacher who created his own video to use as a teaching utility. The use of videos is useful because it allows student to review the lesson as long as they have access to a device with internet capability. Students are less likely to ask a teacher questions and it makes the learning experience more proficient.

I do not believe videos should be used as a replacement for in-class lectures. Your educational videos are an excellent source of information, but they will be  less affective at teaching students the computers information. During class students are able to hear the thoughts and ideas of all students and not just their own -- giving greater understanding of the topic. I would use the videos as a method of reinforcing information, but time should be allotted to review the subject and clarify any questions or concerns.

According to Professor Olle Inganäs at Linköping University in Sweden, a biomass of trees and a by-product of paper manufacturing called lignin can be used to create a battery cathode.

His proposal may begin a new industrial development, but it may also contribute to deforestation. Regardless I feel it is important to remain open minded to new organic energy sources to limit our consumption of fossil fuels.

Sakr, S. (2012, March 23). What if trees could be used as batteries? [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/23/trees-could-be-used-as-batteries/

My favorite sports include football, basketball, and tennis. During the summer I compete in skateboarding and wakeboarding competitions.