La Petite Fille-

All things computer, all things technical are discussed here. DON"T use your full name or reveal anything about emails, cell phones or anything else personal!

by teacher: Brian McLaughlin

Wow. That video was a mouthful of words that has left me to think a lot about what is going to become of our world. I find it interesting that based on what we choose to do we can know what will NOT happen in the future based on the chart that was shown. I think it is better to take action then to just sit still because then you're doing something preventative. I suggest to watch the video if you have not done so already, it's very informative and gives you a bunch to think about.

How it All Ends Video

Powerful Magnets In Toys Raise Risks From Swallowing

In Mississippi a couple bought a box of high powered magnets. Their 2-year-old son managed to swallow many of them. This was a huge complication because the magnets were attracted to one another and they formed a clump that bore a hole right through his intestines. Since then he has been in intensive care for about two months. He has developed a bloodstream infection and is on the brink of life or death. He is now scheduled for an intestinal transplant. As you can see, the magnets are very destructive if swallowed. High-powered magnets, especially, are more likely to clump together inside the body. This has been causing many complications in children for years.

I found this article to be very informative and interesting. I never knew how much of a danger magnets could be. Even though the family tried to keep the magnet box out of their child's reach he still managed to swallow it. This shows me that I have to take extreme caution when I have magnets in the presence of a child, I now know what health complications it can cause. The mother of the 2-year-old says "I would love to have those magnets banned." I am grateful to have read this article because I now know the dangers magnets can cause. 

Cohen, E. (2012, June 05). Powerful magnets in toys raise risks from swallowing.. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/health/cohen-magnets-kids-danger/index.html?hpt=he_c1

Should the US 'airdrop' Millions of Phones into Syria

The big idea here is can communication tools stop a war? In Syria people are risking their lives to upload pictures and videos of a massacre caused by the government. Instead of invading Syria a reporter's idea was to drop about 20 million video cell phones. This would give each person the opportunity to record the authorities and hold them accountable for their actions. An American named Ryan Boyette already tried to help journalists understand what is going on by getting a network of people to take photos and videos and document atrocities. The question here is are cell phones a valuable form of an international conflict mitigation?

I found this article to be very unique. It is one example of the many efforts that are being taken to end this. This experiment will prove how powerful technology can be if it works. Many people are against this idea saying that it will not help the people protect theirselves from the government. It is very important to inform people that this is happening so this genocide in Syria can be stopped. Hopefully cell phones are enough to do that huge task.

Sutter, J. (2012, May 29). Should the US 'airdrop' Millions of Phones into Syria?. Retrieved from http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/29/the-big-idea-should-the-u-s-airdrop-millions-of-phones-into-syria/

Pulitzer Winner to Publish New Story, One Tweet at a Time

A New Yorker is sharing her 8,500-word short story through a series of 140-character tweets. It sounds crazy but she will be publishing a single line every minute from 8-9 until June 2nd. This book is by Jennifer Egan and its called "Black Box." She says, "This is not a new idea, of course, but it's a rich one--because of the intimacy of reaching people through their phones, and because of the odd poetry that can happen in 140 characters." She has spent a year writing and revising making sure the final lines would make the cut in Twitter's charcter-counting tool. 

I find this article to be very intriguing and amusing. I am an enthusiastic reader myself and I use Twitter actively. This is such a unique way to share a short story and I think it will be very interesting for readers. I personally am excited to follow this story via Twitter. 

Gross, D. (2012, May 24). Pulitzer Winner to Publish New Story, One Tweet at a Time. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/24/tech/social-media/new-yorker-story-twitter/index.html

Who's Using Mobile Maps and Check-ins--and Who's Not

Studies have shown that some adults that own smartphones use mobile apps to get location-based information such as directions. However, still one in four of them do not use maps, navigation, or other location- related services that are provided. This surprised many technicians because why would you not use this feature if you own a smartphone? About 18% of smartphone owners use geosocial services but its not the most popular activity among US smartphone owners. Apparently the use of mobile geosocial services are the inverse of those who are most likely to use mobile maps and navigation.

I found this article to be interesting because I always use mobile maps. Whenever I'm going to a friend's house I program their address into my phone to get directions. Its efficient and simple. However, I find apps like Foursquare to be pointless. So I do not use mobile geosocial check-ins. This seems to be the case with the majority of smartphone owners. It makes sense to me because it is more fun to see other people's photos from places instead of just the places they have "checked-in" to. 

Gahran, A. (2012, May 15). Who's using mobile maps and check-ins--and who's not?. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/15/tech/mobile/pew-survey-location-based/index.html?iref=allsearch

Facebook is Utilized More on SmartPhones Than on Computers!

According to a recently released report, Facebook's mobile usage is rising rapidly! Studies have shown that Facebook users access the social network more on smartphones than on computers. The average Facebook user spends 7 hours, and 21 minutes on Facebook in one month on a smartphone. However, only 6 hours, and 31 minutes was recorded for Facebook on PCs. This data shows that a mobile app is a great strategy that will lead to sucess in the social network's business.

I found this article very interesting because for NetGenEd project my main topic was Mobile Apps. In my video that I made I stressed the convenience of mobile apps and how users can use them to basically do almost anything! This article was an example of how Facebook is used more on smartphones simply because its easier than going all the way to a computer! This article was a great way to tie together my NetGenEd topic and also show me a real life example of how Mobile Apps are such a success. 

Chang, A. (2012, May 09). Smartphones, not computers, drive most facebook use. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/tech/social-media/facebook-mobile-report/index.html

or check our Venice travel guide

or check out ourCalifornia travel guide

Hi Kristen,

This is Mr. G from Chimacum, WA. First of, thank you for leaving your idea of how to hack school. 

The reason I'm writing this message on your blog is actually quite insidious. We really need you to and appreciate it when you copy and paste your blog link when you leave us comments. But, you have to be careful. If you copy your blog's link when you are logged in you are somehow, and I don't get how this works exactly, copying not only your blog link but also your login information! So when I clicked on your link I was in your blog's edit mode and I was able to click on articles. I'll try and see if I can change your link so no one else does this. So next time make sure you copy your blog's URL before logging in.

(Hi, Mr. M!)

From Mr. G

H

Hi Mr. 

Harvard and MIT Use EdX to Offer Free Online Courses!

Have you ever dreamed of taking a Harvard class? That dream can soon turn into a reality! Harvard and MIT are starting to launch free online courses for students worldwide using edX. They are planning to begin these courses in the fall and the best part is...its free! Studnet who use this program will not receive university credit and there is no admissions process but if students prove that they have mastered the course there are certificates available. 

I found this article very interesting because it is one of the first educational programs that Harvard and MIT have collaborated to organize. This Harvard-MIT project will encourage better quality educational courses to be available online. Personally I think this is such a cool opportunity to get a great education for free and at leisure! This is definitely a worth while program that many students should look into. 

James O. (2012, May 02). Harvard and MIT Launch edX for Free Online Courses. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/02/technology/harvard-mit-online/index.htm

Hi I am Kristen. I love dance ...tennis ...lax ...skiing ...tea Live your life Laugh at your life Dance in your life --K <3