This Guy

All things computer, all things technical are discussed here. DON"T use your full name or reveal anything about emails, cell phones or anything else personal!

teacher: Brian McLaughlin

Which Birth Control Works Best? (Hint: It's Not the Pill)

This article says that long lasting contraceptives such as the intrauterine device and implants are better at preventing pregancy than more popular birth control methods, including the pill, patch and vaginal rings.  It was discovered that longer-lasting contraceptives were up to 20 times more effective than other methods.

This is interesting beause I have never heard of the intrauterine device before, and I always thought that the pill was the best way for a woman to prevent child-birth.  I guess there's a better solution to it then.  Now, I wonder what the best way is for guys to avoid impregnating a woman without the use of a condom.

Park, A. (2012, May 24). Which birth control works best? (hint: It’s not the pill) Retrieved from http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/24/iuds-and-implants-beat-the-pill-in-preventing-pregnancy/?iid=hl-main-feature

Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea Spreading Worldwide, WHO Warns

Officials at the WHO are urging governments and doctors to increase surveillance of potentially untreatable strains of drug-resistant gonorrhea and are calling people to be more vigilant on the proper treatment of the disease with antibiotics.  The strains of this infection are resistant to cephalosporin antibiotics, which are the last line of defense against gonorrhea.  Researchers warned that the disease could turn into a serious global health.

I'm deeply amazed by this article because I've never heard of gonorrhea that is resistant to drugs.  This poses a serious threat to people in the future if it cannot be fixed in a different way than using antibiotics.  Hopefully, some people in the medical field will find a way to combat this infection.

Sifferlin, A. (2012, June 6). Drug-resistant gonorrhea spreading worldwide, who warns. Retrieved from http://healthland.time.com/2012/06/06/drug-resistant-gonorrhea-spreading-worldwide-who-warns/?iid=hl-main-lede

A New Marijuana Plant Without the High? It Could Be Good Medicine

This article is about a new breed of marijuana that causes no buzz of its own.  There have been Israeli researchers that bred cannabis plants that look. smell. and taste like orindinary marjuana.  What's interesting is that it lacks THC, the active ingredient responsible for the spacy, giddy, and hallucinatory part of pot's high.

I'm very intrigued by this because I've grown up to know marijuana as a substance that makes people have a this false sense of ectasy.  Now, I'm reading about a compound that's similar in every single way other than the hallucinatory part of marijana.  There's bound to be some further developments made in the near future.

Szalavitz, M. (2012, June 4). A new marijuana plant without the high? it could be good medicine. Retrieved from http://healthland.time.com/2012/06/04/a-new-marijuana-plant-without-the-high-it-could-be-good-medicine/?iid=hl-main-lede

Modern Family: More Likely to Be Multigenerational, Unmarried Or Interracial

This article is about how people who marry now have a better chance of wedding those from another race.  Two-thirds of all homes in the U.S. contain people who are related to each other.  One-tenth of of married couples in the U.S. are interracial, a growth of 10% since 2000.  In addition, almost 7 million homes are headed by unmarried couples.

This article is interesting because I never how popular interracial marriage was becoming now.  I, myself, am open to marrying other women of ethnic backrounds, but I just felt kind of awkward thinking about it.  This is quite intriguing because there will probably become more different mixtures of ethnic backrounds now, so it'll be interesting to see what combinations there will be.

Luscombe, B. (2012, April 30). Modern family: More likely to be multigenerational, unmarried or interracial. Retrieved from http://healthland.time.com/2012/04/30/modern-family-more-likely-to-be-multigenerational-unmarried-or-interracial/?iid=hl-main-feature

The Link Between Infertility Treatments and Birth Defects

This article discusses if infertility treatments raise the risk of birth defects, or if the risk is in infertility itself.  Apparently, it depends on the type of infertility treatment used; in vitro fertilization, or IVF, was not associated with a higher risk of birth defects, once other factors were taken into consideration.  Intracytoplasmic sperm injection, or ICSI, was associated with an increased risk of birth defects.

This article is interesting to me because I've always wanted to know what was the cause of birth defects.  I actually thought it was due to IVF, but I guess not.  This article opens my eyes a little more now because I know now that natural means of reproduction is probably the best way to avoid having birth defects.

Maia, S. (2012, May 7). The link between infertility treatments and birth defects. Retrieved from http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/07/the-link-between-infertility-treatments-and-birth-defects/?iid=hl-main-lede

A Blood Test to Diagnose Depression in Teens?

This article is about how blood tests can show depression in teens.  According to the the site, it says that diagnosing depression in teens can be difficult because it's hard to distinguish between mental illness and mood swings.  Currently, a depression diagnosis in teens relies on their descriptions of symptoms and their physician's subjective observations.  The breakthrough with the blood test can lead to earlier diagnoses that may not only allow for better treatment but also help to lessen the stigma associated with mental illness.

This article intrigues me because I've always wondered how doctors diagnose someone with depression.  I'm kind of confused at the fact that they would take blood in order to decide.  I wonder if there's some kind of substance in the blood that only appears when someone is in a depression.

Sifferlin, A. (2012, April 17). A blood test to determine depression in teens?. Retrieved from http://healthland.time.com/2012/04/17/a-blood-test-to-diagnose-depression-in-teens/?iid=hl-main-

Americans May Be Much Fatter Than They Think, Study Says

This article is about how researchers think that weght problems may be worse than we originally thought.  Dr. Eric Braverman, president of the nonprofit Path Foundation in New York City, says that out body mass index greatly underestimates the number of people who are obese, especially women.

I am greatly interested by this article because I watch what I eat, and I find the problem of obesity to be rather intriguing to me.  It's sad to realize that there are a lot more Americans in our age today who are over-weight and aren't doing anything about it.  I wish I could do something to help those people.

Park, A. (2012, April 03). Americans may be much fatter than we think, study says. Retrieved from http://healthland.time.com/2012/04/03/americans-may-be-much-fatter-than-we-think-study-says/?

Veggie Omelet with Berries

This article is about how breakfast can help maintain weight loss and even reduce lead poisoning.  What is the healthiest breakfast?  According to Oz Garcia, a celebrity nutritionist, an omelet made with two organic egg whites, one egg yolk, spinach and tomatoes, with a half-cup of organic berries on the side.  Eating protein will help reduce cravings and hunger throughout the day.

I'm deeply interested by this because I've always been looking for a good breakfast to eat while being able to maintain a good weight.  I'm somewhat of a body builder, so I have to watch what I take in.  I believe that this meal will help me crush the cravings I have during the day.  Hopefully, it'll help me with increasing my metabolism.

Sifferlin, A. (2012, April 10). Veggie omelet with berries. Retrieved from http://healthland.time.com/2012/04/13/whats-the-healthiest-breakfast-heres-what-the-experts-say/ 

FDA: Tobacco Companies Must Report Dangerous Chemicals

This article is about how tobacco companies will be required to report dangerous chemicals found in cigarettes, chew and other producs under the latest rules designed to tighten regulation of the tobacco industry.  Regulators have identified more than 93 harmful or poentially harmful chemicals in tobacco products.

I'm facinated by this article because I've ever only known tobacco as a drug that people take.  I never knew about how many dangerious chemicals and toxins it contained.  Ever since I read it, I promised myself that I would never do anything like that.  What scares me most  is that people still do it without ever thinking about the consequences.

Perrone, M. (2012, March 30). Tobacco companies must report dangerous chemicals. Retrieved from http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/30/fda-tobacco-companies-must-report-dangerous- 

I live for martial arts