Computer Applications-

All things computer, all things technical are discussed here. DON"T use your full name or reveal anything about emails, cell phones or anything else personal!

by teacher: Brian McLaughlin

Kids Mistake Laundry Detergent for Candy

This artcile is about how children are mistaking laudrey detergent tablets for candy. There has recenty been over 250 cases of children ingesting this poison. The reaction that comes about after ingesting the packets is more severe than typical detergent poisoning—symptoms include nausea and breathing problems.

THis article interests me because it warned me that some of my laudry detergent may look like candy and that I shouldn't eat it. I now no to make sure that I look at what I'm eating for some of my candy more be poisonous. Finally this article will help prevent future problems with this substance.

Parenting, E. (2012, May 25). Kids mistake laundry detergent for candy Retrieved from http://www.parenting.com/blogs/show-and-tell/elina-parenting/laundry-detergent-poison-control?src=syn&dom=cnnhealth&lnk=rss

Is Twitter slowing down?

This article is about how peoples interest in Twitter has been dropping lately, much like that of Facebooks. Apparently only 7% of people who have Twitters check their account every single day. Also 66% of people who have a Twitter also have another social network page, proving that people are not entirely satisfied

This article is interesting to me because I have a Twitter account, and do not go on ot daily. Also I have a Facebook page making me part of the 66%. Twitter is just a spot for people to write text as well. Making it so that pepoles posts dont have much diversity, and with not everyone having a Twitter, it because hard to communicate well also,

Sutter, J. (2012, May 31). Is twitter slowing down?. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/31/tech/web/twitter-pew-report/index.html?npt=NP1

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 02:18 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Facebook 'boring'? 1 in 3 users are tuning it out

This articel is about how many Facebook users are shutting down their accounts, due to the social network becoming more boring. Also 34% of users find themselves going on less than they did half a year ago, while only 20% find themselves going on more often. Also it explains how many online ads on Facebook are worthless for they don't generate enough revenue.

This article interests me because I too find Facebook, becoming boring, there is nothing new going onto it, and I do the same exact thing everyday on it, not providing me with anything interesting. However I will never shut down my account for I still want to stay connected to my friends.

Whitney, L. (2012, June 05). Facebook 'boring'? 1 in 3 users are tuning it out. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57447316-93/facebook-boring-1-in-3-users-are-tuning-it-out/?tag=mncol;cnetRiver

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 02:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

The next dimension of Google Maps and Google Earth (First Take)

This article is about Google will be increasing the quality of Google Maps and Google Earth even further than before. First off, Google MAps, will now become offline mobile, meaning that you wil no longer need Internet connection to veiw where you are and where you need to get to on a map. Secondy, the Street View Trekker will be further improved so that you can get a Street View of places that even cars can't go, such as trials, parks, and ski trails. Finally, Google Earth will be improving on its 3D capacity, allowing users to swoop through buildings like "Iron Man" and increase details by far.

This article is interesting to me because soon I will be driving and I know that I will need a GPS, so the fact that I no longer need Internet to veiw directions, which will ease my driving experience. Also exploring the new 3D powers of Google Earth will be fascinating to me just to see what it will look like.

Cabebe, J. (2012, June 06). The next dimension of google maps and google earth (first take). Retrieved from http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57447933-12/the-next-dimension-of-google-maps-and-google-earth-first-take/?tag=mncol;cnetRiver

The New York City Soda Ban, and a Brief History of Bloomberg’s Nudges

This article is about how New York City is working on ban of all sugary drinks, larger than 16 fluid ounces, from being sold at restaurants, delis, sports arena vendors, movie theaters and food carts regulated by the city health department from selling these drinks. This is Bloomberg's strategy for fighting childhood obesity, which he feels is a big threat. If anyone refuses to downsize they could be fined up to $200.

This article interests me becuase sometimes I go to New York CIty, and I also love drinking sugary drinks such as soda or sweetened ice tea. So now when I go to the city I won't be able to get a refreshing drink, which disapoints me greatly. However I do believe that this will help to fight childhood obesity.

Park, A. (2012, May 31). The new york city soda ban, and a brief history of bloomberg’s nudges. Retrieved from http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/31/bloombergs-soda-ban-and-other-sweeping-health-measures-in-new-york-city/

Disney’s Diet: No More Junk Food Ads on Kids Channels

This article s about how starting in 2015 Disney will ban all advertising for unheatlhy food in thier networks, TV channels, radio programs and websites. They will be cutting out all fast-food, junk food and candy ads. Some items that won't make the cut are Capri SUn die to their hihg sugar content, and Kraft Lunchables due to their sdium content. First Lady Michelle Obama says that this could be a "game- changer" in the fight against childhood obesity.

This article interests me because I enjoy my sugary food commercials. I will be disapointed when I'm some TV and I won't be able to see what new foods are on the market. However I do agree with Michelle Obama, that it will help cut down on childhood obesity, for kids won't be able to see sugary foods as easily. 

Sifferlin, A. (2012, June 06). Disney’s diet: No more junk food ads on kids channels. Retrieved from http://healthland.time.com/2012/06/06/disneys-diet-no-more-junk-food-ads-on-kids-channels/

or check out ourCalifornia travel guide

The next new craze: Brain Pong?

This article is about the new gaming craze called brain pong. It controls the paddle by monitering brain waves and sensations to move and try to hit the ball back. The users say it is all about focus and concentration, and that if you lose either you will lose the control of the paddle and lose the game. THis game is a step towards the future.

I am interested in this because the idea of being able to control anything off of just your brain waves in flabbergasting. It opens up a door to create completely new and fascinating to new gaming systems and creations. It allows users to fully optimize their  potential and increase gamer skills.

Matyszczyk, C. (2012, May 02). The next new craze: Brain pong?. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57426647-71/the-next-new-craze-brain-pong/?

Mad Cow Disease: How the New Case Was Discovered

Fear of mad cow disease was recently aroused as it was found that a cow that had mad cow disease, was slaughtered and used for meat. The cow was selected by random for testing and didnt show any typical signs of the contamination such as, unsteadiness, uncoordination, and low production of milk. Mad-cow disease causes a spongy deterioration in an animal’s brain and spinal cord; it can be passed on to humans through contaminated meat, and is deadly.

This article interested me due to it having to do with the spread of infectious disease. The way that we quickly responded to the outbreak and stopped it so fast amazed me. Also I happen to eat alot of beef, and the knowledge of knowing that there is chance of mad cow disease frightens and concerns me.

Cooney, K. (2012, April 25). Mad cow disease: How the new case was discovered. Retrieved from http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/04/25/mad-cow-disease-how-the-new-case-was-discovered/

Angry Birds, the cartoon series, due this fall

This artcile  about how due to the game Angry Birds recent success. The maker of the game Rovio is planning creating an animated series and a movie based off the game. The main idea of this motion picture is to turn Rovio from a gaming company into an entertaining company.

This article interests me because I am a fan of Angry Birds, and I believe that making an animate series and a movie would be too much, for Angry Birds, and would ruin the game. Also I believe that Rovio should remain a gaming company and not try to expand fr it could ruin their business

Musil, S. (2012, April 1). Angry birds, the cartoon series, due this fall. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57407760-93/angry-birds-the-cartoon-series-due-this-fall/?tag=mncol;2n

Thirty-eight percent of kids on Facebook under 13?

This article is about how although Facebook has an age restrictions, saying that all users must be at least 13 in age, about 38% of users are 12 or under. Also only 74% of parents are actually concerned about their child's Facebook pages. The #1 concern from parents is sexual predators, and 30% of kids are cyberbullied on Facebook. Finally only 51% of parents are able to log onto their childs Facebook accounts, and 17% of parents don't even check their child's pages.

I am interested in the article, because I am a Facebook user. Also my parents, are part f the 51% because they know my password. They are also very concerned with what I do on Facebook, as well. Also although I am of age to use Facebook, my sister is only 12 and not able to use Facebook legally, which concerns me.

Matyszczyk, C. (2012, April 13). Thirty-eight percent of kids on facebook under 13? Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57413806-71/thirty-eight-percent-of-kids-on-facebook-under-13/?tag=mncol;cnetRiver

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 03:30 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

iPhone 5 rumor roundup

This article is about all the new rumors about the upcoming iPhone 5. It discusses some of the major points that have been said such as the type of dock port, and screen size that this new device will be equipped with. It also talks about when the new phone will be released and the amount of storage space that it will include.

This article interestes me because I personally want the new iPhone 5. My old iPod is slow and not able to process some of the newer applications. Therefore a newer  version of my iPod combined with a phone, would provide me with a new experience that I really want to have.

German, K. (2012, March 23). Cnet news. Retrieved from http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20073431-233/iphone-5-rumor-roundup/?tag=mncol;cnetRiver

Tetris-like game helps physicians treat sepsis

This article is about how emergency room physicains have develpoed a new way to prevent fatalities from the disease called Sepsis. Sepsis is a life-threatening infectious disease that can kill up to 200,000 people each year. The new program is called "Septris" it is based off the game "Tetris" and will hopefully save many lives.

This article interested me because it has to do with a disease that is within the medical feild. I wish to one day go into the medical feild one day. Also it has to do with technology in the medical feild which is just an interesting topic all around.

Manos, D. (2012, March 16). Healthcareitnews. Retrieved from http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/tetris-game-helps-physicians-treat-sepsis

Find more videos like this on Flat Classroom Project

Does it still make sense to buy DVD's?

This articel is about how DVD;s may lose their spot in the movie veiwing world to new servises such as Itunes, Redbox, or Amazon. It alks about how these new servies proide the same amount if movie enjoyment, yet they are dirt cheap compared to normal DVD's. So what do DVD's have going for them? They still include all the extra features, and delted scenes that rentals do not. Also they provide a much clearer image than a rental can. So which is really worth it the cheap rental, or the featured DVD?

I was interested in this article because, even I have started to make the switch bewteen DVD's and rentals. Lately I have been getting rentals for every single movie I watch, unless I plan oin watching it several times, in which case I buy the DVD. So being a DVD and rental watcher this article greatly fascinated me, due to me wanting to know wat will happen to DVD's in the future.

Broida, R. (2012, March 5). Cnet. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57385157-58/does-it-still-make-sense-to-buy-dvds/?tag=mncol;cnetRiver

Article posted February 29, 2012 at 07:21 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 34

Facebook launches Timeline for Pages

This article is about how Facebook users can now update their pages along with their personal profiles to the new Timeline version of Facebook. Timeline is a new version of Facebook that allows users to easily view posts in chronological order. This new feature will be more directed towadrs companies pages, in order to imporve advertising, while it may not be as popular with personal pages, as it provides more details, and potential embaraasing information.

This article interested me because I am a Facebook user and am also not a fan of TImeline. This switch will be frowned upon by me and other users, which is why it attracted my attention. However I am also the admin of a page for my soccer team, so this new feature may be appreciated, as it will let visitors to my page, easily recognize important events. 

Whitney, L. (2012, February 29). Cnet. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57387495-93/facebook-launches-timeline-for-pages/?tag=mncol

Rumor: Apple's iOS dock ports headed for a diet

This article is about how Apple will be reducing the size of their IOS or information operating system dock ports. This will be part of a move to save space and make room for other components in its portable devices.

I am interested in this article, because I have an Ipod, which i use daily, and making the sie of the dock port smaller, would drastially affect all Apple products. Therefore, I am fascinated by how this will progress the world of portable devices.

Lowensohn, J. (2012, February 24). Cnet. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57384584-248/rumor-apples-ios-dock-ports-headed-for-a-diet/?tag=mncol;cnetRiver

Article posted February 18, 2012 at 01:34 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

This article is about how app companies are able to go through app user's smartphones, and get to all their contact information without permission. This problem is currently being solved by Apple and is going to be stopped.

I am an app user and use my apps everyday, so of course companies being able to come and get my information both interested and concerned me.

PerlRoth, N., & Bilton, N. (2012, February 15). The new york times. Retrieved from http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/google-and-mobile-apps-take-data-books-without-permission/?ref=technology

Article posted February 8, 2012 at 03:18 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

Hello I was able to open my blog.

I enjoy playing a lot of soccer throughout the entire year, and I also play basketball in the winter. I am a fan of the New York Giants and the New York Mets