-

All things computer, all things technical are discussed here. DON"T use your full name or reveal anything about emails, cell phones or anything else personal!

by teacher: Brian McLaughlin

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 02:23 AM GMT • comment • Reads 52

'Flame' Virus Fuels Political Heat Over Cyber Threats

Cyber warfare is the newest type of war. It is a very dangerous type of war because the mass destruction that can potentially occur. The New York Times reported that President Bush and President Obama sent cyber computer attacks on Iraq. The United Nations created an organization to help fight against cyber attacks and hopefully end them. One particular virus that grabbed international attention was named 'Flame'. It was spreading around the Middle East and Russia put an end to it.

In my opinion, I think its great that the United Nations is taking proper precautions against cyber warfare. If no one tried to protect form cyber warfare, a potential hacker could set off a nuclear explosion, causing mass destruction.

APA Citation:

Gjelten, T. (2012, June 02). 'flame' virus fuels political heat over cyber threats. Retrieved from www.npr.org/2012/06/02/154188937/flame-sheds-light-on-politics-of-cyberwarfare?sc=17&f=1019

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 02:01 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Do These Pants Make Me Look... ?

A British company has a new idea... People get nearly naked in front of a body scanner, which would direct them to the correct pair of jeans wear or the dress that would look the best on them. Bodymetrics, a British company, is installing "white pods" in dressing rooms world-wide. They are equipped with special cameras to produce a 3-D model of your body. The hardest part of this project is producing 3-D models of the clothing. Eventually these "white pods" will be in stores everywhere in the dressing rooms.

In my opinion, I think these "white pods" are really cool. I hate wasting time trying on an outfit that i don't end up liking anyway. I would use the scanners after they were out for a few years and a majority of the flaws were fixed. I think this would be a great time saver to utilize in everyone's hectic lives.

APA Citation:

Henn, S.  (2012, June 04). Do these pants make me look..?. Retrieved from http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2012/06/04/154284798/do-these-pants-make-me-look-body-scans-for-a-better-fit?sc=17&f=1019

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 01:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Nasdaq plans $40 million payout for Facebook losses

The NASDAQ has to pay $13.7 million in cash to trading firms that lost money due to glitches that led to a delay of Facebook's stock market debut. The other amounts of money will be paid back over time through reduced trading fees. NASDAQ experienced a few glitches which delayed the opening of Facebook as a public stock. Investors who were waiting for Facebook to open up lost money due to the delay, so NASDAQ had to repay for their losses.

In my opinion, this is good that they are repaying for the losses of investors. It was at the markets fault for the losses to begin with, so it is only fair they pay for the damages done. Repaying for losses due to glitches also gives NASDAQ a good reputation, luring in more investors.

APA Citation:

Farrel, M. (2012, June 06). Nasdaq plans $40 million payout for facebook losses. Retrieved from money.cnn.com/2012/06/06/investing/nasdaq-facebook/index.htm?iid=SF_T_LN

IPv6

The internet officially has 340 undecillion addresses. Thats 340 trillion, trillion, trillion. The internet has had a growth factor of 76 octillion (billion billion billion). Growing that rapidly and hasn't slowed a bit!  The internet is running out of addresses. The Internet Society is working together to further advance the internet, to prevent it from running out of addresses, just gradually. Some large internet providers have already begun the Internet Society's plan of a gradual change to IPv6 ( the soon to be, new internet). This plan is really just to prevent the internet from running out of addresses.

In my opinion, 340 undecillion is a huge number. There are tons of sites on the web and I understand why and how the internet could become too full. I think its good that someone is already on top of resolving the issue before it even becomes an issue,

APA Citation:

Goldman, D. (2012, June 06). Ipv6. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/06/technology/ipv6/index.htm

Google 3-D Maps

Google released its new big ideas at its conference in San Francisco. After Apple announced that it will no longer be using Google maps on its iPhone's and iPad's, because it will replace it with its own equivalent of a product, Google came back with its new idea; more 3-D maps available offline and more often. Google is improving its software and soon, there will be no reason to carry a traditional map. Google is trying to improve Google Maps and make directions more accessible to all users.

In my opinion, i think Google is smart counter-responding to Apple's announcement. The Google Maps app that is preset on all of Apple's iPhone's and iPad's is probably one of Google's biggest contracts. Loosing its spot on every iPhone and iPad will decrease the use of Google Maps tremendously.

APA Citation:

Simon, D. (2012, June 06). Google to offer 3-d maps. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/06/tech/web/google-maps-update/index.html

Touchscreen with Rising Keys

Tactus Technology is the knew way to type on your touchscreen phone. Autocorrect on standard touchscreen keyboards always changes someones message. If the keys were raised, a misspelled word would occur less often. Also being able to feel the keys and still have a touchscreen phone, adds to our senses as humans. Some products that may be affected are smartphones, tablets, e-readers, gaming devices, and remote controls. Incorperating tactility into technology would potentially improve a humans sence of touch. 

In my opinion, this is a cool new technology. If this was even incorperated in a future iPhone, I would buy it. This type of technology seems incredibly difficult to create, but very interesting. Tactility tecnology is something knew and is expected to be released in mid- 2013. 

APA Citation:

Gross, D. (2012, June 06). A touchscreen with keys. Retrieved from http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/06/a-touchscreen-with-keys-that-rise-and-disappear/

Monster Sunspots

A group of sunspots 11 times wider than Earth have turned to face our planet and have been spotted on the Sun. The sunspots are more than 60,000 miles wide. They are visible on the sun with the unaided eye. Two coronal mass ejections erupted yesturday, Tuesday, May 8. Tonight, May 9, we are expected to be able to see the massive solar storm. Solar Flares and auroras are possible tonight.

In my opinion, I think this is awesome. Auroras are so pretty. I enjoy looking out my bedroom window, searching the sky for the magnificant lights that sway through the sky.

APA Citation:

LaMonica, M. (2012, May 09). Monster sunspots. Retrieved from news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57430691-76/monster-sunspot-could-bring-solar-flares/?tag=mncol;topStories

create your own personalized map of the USA

or write about it on the open travel guide

create your own visited country map

Article posted April 3, 2012 at 02:19 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

I thought the teaching videos were a good way to save class time, considering our pamphlets took up a lot of time. One of the podcast were a little difficult to hear. All the details were well explained. The only bad thing was that I would have liked to have class time to go over Tables because I had a few questions that I had to find the answers to myself. Overall, the videos were very helpful.