Joey's Blog -

All things computer, all things technical are discussed here. DON"T use your full name or reveal anything about emails, cell phones or anything else personal!

by teacher: Brian McLaughlin

Well, it's that time of year again when we have to say goodbye to our teachers, and get ready for summer break. Sadly, this is my last article and I regret that I didn't use my blog for more than just current events/assignments. Goodbye Computer Applications. :D

A new poll shows that the majority of Facebook users are not influenced to purchase a product that is advertised on Facebook. This is trouble to investors, since the company went public last month. To add fuel to fire, another pol shows that users are using Facebook less and less. 

View the article here

I found this extremely interesting because these polls are true for me. I have never purchased anything, frankly, I don't even look at the advertisements. And, compared to a few months ago, I am not on Facebook as much.

Rodriguez, S. (2012, June 05). Poll: Facebook ads not working on most users. The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved from http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-facebook-users-ads-20120605,0,7261853.story

Window's phone finally made it to the 100,000 apps mark. This is an achievement that any successful smart phone has to make in today's market. They are not the most accomplished phone, but they are in the running. Unfortunately, only about 77,000 apps are available for American consumers. This is because a lot of Apps aren't published, have been taken down, and aren't available in the English language. 

See the article here. 

I thought 100,000 apps was a lot! It would take me a long time to count to 100,000. Apparently, this number is relatively small compared to iPhone's apps. Who knew? :)

Rodriguez, S. (2012, June 05). Window's phone marketplace hits 100,000 apps mark. The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved from http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-windows-phone-100000-apps-20120605,0,7537509.story

So apparently, Apple's Macbook Pro is going to be improved. It will be improved at the next World Wide Developer's Conference. This will be the first renovation since the summer of 2010. Rumors are going around that it will have the retina display that Apple's iPad has. 

View the article here.

I have a Macbook Pro, and I absolutely love it. I was interested in what improvements they were going to make.

Rodriguez, S. (2012, June 06). Apple's mac pro to get face-lift next week at wwdc, reports says. The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved from http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-mac-pro-update-20120605,0,7672285.story

The Samsung Galaxy S III is going to be on the market on June 21st. It will run on the 4G LTE networks of Verizon and AT&T, as well as other less poplar companies' networks. Everyone is anxiously waiting for its arrival.

View the article here. 

My cell phone contract will be up in a little while, and I've been looking for new phones to upgrade to. This certainly is one of my choices. I have Verizon, so I will able to use 4G. 

Rodriguez, S. (2012, June 06). U.s. carriers set samsung galaxy s iii launch dates, takes orders. The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved from http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-launch-dates-20120606,0,1802481.story

When it comes to search engines, Bing and Google take the lead. People are wondering if Bing's new partnership with Facebook will make it more desirable. If you are signed into Facebook through Bing, you will be able to access your friend's photo albums and more more. You would be linked to your social network. To add onto, Bing doesn;t have ads on result pages, unlike Google. 

View the article here.

I have used Google for most of my life. It has helped me through many school projects. I guess one could say that I am a little narrow minded about using other search engines. I just think that Google is the right one for me. I wanted to look at this article because I didn't like Bing. And I still do not. 

Hubbard, A. (2012, June 06). Google versus bing: Is underdog bing the better man?. The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved from http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-google-bing-sidebar-20120606,0,5791304.story

Google wants Apple to know how difficult and expensive it is to make maps. Apple is going to create its own map service. This map service would be competing with Google Maps. Since Google has invested millions of dollars in its refined maps, it does not want to lose Apple's partnership. Apple products such as the iPhone, iPad, and iPod all use Google Maps. If they created their own map service, Google would lose profit. 

View the Article here.

i was interest in this article because the I found the title perplexing. Other than the literal meaning, I know a slang meaning which is to beat something. So I thought that Google beat Apple's maps. 

Hardy, Q. (2012, June 05). Google schools apple on maps. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/06/google-schools-apple-on-maps/?ref=technology

Google issues a warning every time it suspects state-sponsored-activity on your computer/account. It did not say how it is able to detect this. The head of security at Google allowed for these warnings because he wants to be safe than sorry. If they did not inspect once in a while, people might be able to hack Google. The warning is: "Warning: We believe state-sponsored attackers may be attempting to compromise your account or computer.

View the article here.

At first, I was worried that the state of New Jersey was attempting to attack Google accounts. I was quite worried. The idea of it was so bizarre. But, after I read the article, I realized state-sponsored meant other nations like Iran.

Perlroth, N. (2012, June 05). Google issues new warning for state-sponsored attacks. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/google-issues-new-warning-for-state-sponsored-attacks/?ref=technology

Google's Android system has the best smartphone all of the world. But, its growth has been slow. Compared to last year, not as many people have been purchasing this phone. Apple's iPhone, however, is still experiencing splendid growth. Essentially, the Android is in decline.

View the article here.

I did not realize how wide spread the Android was. I only know two people who have it. Conversely, I have a lot of friends who have the iPhone. So, it was very interesting to find out that the Android was the best smartphone in the world.

Doyle, D. (2012, June 05). Is android having a bad year?. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/is-android-having-a-bad-year/?ref=technology

Essentially, this article is about Google, and its most recent attempt at getting into the living room. Just two year ago, it tried to bring out Web-enabled Google TVs. They failed miserably. This time, Google has partnered with LG, Samsung, Sony, and Vizio. Together, they improved Google televisions with enhancing their processing/loading speeds, and adding a Magic Remote. This remote will allows users to control their TVs with voice-enabled searches. They believe this new generation of TVs will surpass any previous televisions. View the article here.

I actually never knew that Google made televisions, or at least attempted to. There are already so many companies to purchase a television from, many of which I do not know the names of. Since I use Google all of the time, and never heard anything about this, this article caught me interest.

Perlroth, N. (2012, May 07). Google tries again with google tv. New York Times. Retrieved from http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/07/google-tries-again-with-google-tv-2/