Colleen's Blog :)

All things computer, all things technical are discussed here. DON"T use your full name or reveal anything about emails, cell phones or anything else personal!

teacher: Brian McLaughlin

The Big Idea: Facebook's Minimum Age Should Be 21

This article is a huge debate since there has been a question of what the minimum age should be for Facebook users. Some people argue that it should be lowered to an age that is lower than 13 since people all over the world are using it and are "underage" anyway. However, many other people commented and stated that the age should indeed be RAISED! They believe that the age should be 21, just like the legal drinking age. With the age at 21, children will not be able to "poison their minds" with selfish ways that they claim Facebook is teaching them. 

Facebook is my most used site on each computer that I use at home. Therefore, I believe it is obvious that Facebook is of great use to me. I use it to communicate and collaborate with friends, to keep in touch with relatives and friends who have moved, and even just for fun. Being that I am not 21 yet, the raising of this minimum age would not be good for someone like myself. I believe that the age should stay where it is: 13. That is a perfect age for people to use Facebook and therefore, the age should stay right where it currently is.

Sutter, J. (2012, June 5). "The Big Idea: Facebook's Minimum Age Should Be 21". Retrieved from http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/05/the-big-idea-facebooks-minimum-age-should-be-21/

A Touchscreen with Keys that Rise and Disappear

A touchscreen with keys that rise and disappear could certainly help many, many people. With the rise of the new and ever-growing popularity over Apple's iPhone, there has definitely been an increase in the purchase of phones that include a touchscreen. In this article, it explains a model from a California company that says they have "created technology that could make keyboard keys rise out of the touchscreen... then disappear when you were done with them" (Gross).

Personally, I have been begging my parents for a touch screen phone for years now. They have not agreed, but I feel that if this new model was out, they may reconsider. This new advancement in technology is a huge step for our generation using the creation of new things that can be tangible at one moment, but not at the next. I find this extremely interesting because it is farther than we have ever gone before in technological advancements. I also think that this phone would be very cool to have, which is why I am hoping that it can be made by the date they have put out: mid-2013. I am very excited.

Gross, D. (2012, June 06). "A Touchscreen with Keys that Rise and Disappear". Retrieved from http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/06/a-touchscreen-with-keys-that-rise-and-disappear/ 

Netflix tops Apple in online video sales

This article gives an overview of two major companies: Apple and Netflix. Both of these companies are huge on the markets when it comes to selling technological products. Netflix has been a major video seller for quite some time now. However, ever since the iPad and IPhone have become so popular, Aple was quickly catching up. Netflix stil prevails though, and is beating Apple in one major field on the current markets: online video.

As a user of both Apple and Netflix, I found that this article was surely interesting. I always felt that Apple was better than any other company in all fields due to their raging popularity and excellent sales of numerous products. Today though, my suspicions were not confirmed. In fact, they were denied. I found it intriguing to learn that Apple is losing in online video to Netflix, even though Apple appears to be more successful. I was proved wrong.

Pepitone, J. (2012, June 01). "Netflix Tops Apple in Online Video Sales". Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/01/technology/netflix-online-video-revenue/index.htm

Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale in 28 countries

This article is regarding the new phone put out by Samsung. This phone is called the Flagship Android Smartphone, or the Galaxy S3, and is currently being sold in 28 different countries. Wow! This phone has many advancements, including the sensor that tracks eye movement which prevents the screen from going dark as you're looking at it. This phone is not available in the United States yet, but people say it is only a matter of weeks until we'll see this fantastic new phone.

I found this article extremely interesting because it is an awesome way to connect the world. Since we have been learning about collaboration so often with people all around the world, I found this phone as a great device that can help connect countries all around the world in a quick, simple, and easy manner. Therefore, this phone is a fantastic way to keep the world connected one simple step at a time.

Schroeder, S. (2012, May 29). "Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale in 28 countries". Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/29/tech/mobile/samsung-galaxy-on-sale/index.html

The problem with Microsoft trying to be Apple

There has always been evident competition between both the companies of Microsoft and Apple. Constant competition has caused them to be rivals through technology, each racing to beat the other at advancing in new and more efficient products. Currenty, Microsoft is trying to do something new and more advanced to beat Apple. However, Microsoft is also trying to duplicate and copy Apple's successful business model in order to be Apple.

This is extremely interesting to me because I am an active user of both Microsoft and Apple. I use my Ipod Touch daily and am constantly utilizing the many products that Microsoft has to offer. Therefore, I find both extremely useful and will continue to follow in the constant competition going on between the two major technology companies. 

Goldman, D. (2012, May 24). "The problem with Microsoft trying to be Apple". Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/24/technology/windows-app-store/index.htm

Article posted May 14, 2012 at 01:41 AM GMT • comment • Reads 51

Google Maps update offers indoor walking directions

This article contains a remarkable step in the advancement of directional technology. People, using the Google Maps application, are able to get directions more easily and effectively. This new form of directions gives people the way to go not only to get to certain places, but also inside buildings as well. Advancing through malls and other public places such as airports and other places as well has been made much easier using the knowledge of the technology experts around the world.

I found this article extremely interesting to read. Not only was it interesting due to the advancement of technology, but I also saw this new update as a slight invasion of privacy. It allows people to know what is in every place, everywhere, at any time. This could defnitely rend badly if it got into the hands of the wrong people. For this reason, I found the article based on Google Maps extremely interesting, and I will be sure to follow along with this story to see what happens regarding these directional applications.

Grol, B. (2012, May 11).  "Google Maps Update Offers Indoor Walking Directions". Retrieved from http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/11/google-maps-update-offers-indoor-walking-directions/

Bing fires at Google with new Social Search

Everyone knows that Google is the most popular Internet search tool around the world. It is used everyday by millions of people, allowing users to gather information swiftly and efficiently. However, there are many competitors with this popular search engine, one being Bing. In recent efforts to overpower Google, Bing has added a new tool to their site: a Bing Sidebar. This sidebar is Bing's attemot to display posts from people in these social networks who have recently discussed a topic that has been searched for.

I personally found this article particularly interesting. I believe that Google is clearly the most useful search engine around the world. Since other sites are trying to top Google, this is certainly interesting. However, in my opinion, I feel that Google will never be overpowered by sites such as Yahoo, Bing, and others as well. It has been around for a long time and is definitely the most effective site to use for searching. Despite the fact that Bing has added this new tool to their site, I still have much faith in Google to remain all powerful.

Goldman, D. (2012, May 10). "Bing fires at Google with new Social Search". Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/10/technology/bing-redesign/index.htm

Review: Barnes & Noble's new glowing Nook is a winner

This article is preaching about the new glowing Nook, a tablet put out by the major company Barnes & Nobles. This has been a huge money maker for the store, allowing users to read at night. It was just put out this week, and readers may receive it as early as this week if they had already pre-ordered it. This e-reader is extremely affordable and definitely a good deal.

I, an avid reader, am very interested in this new product. I have a Kindle, the first edition, and I love it. Although, it is very dark, making it hard to read at night. If I had this new Nook, I would be able to read at nighttime using the glowing light. That would definitely be a great help to me, and therefore I am certainly interested in this new form of an e-reader. 

Ulanoff, L. (2012, April 26). "Review: Barnes & Noble". Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/26/tech/gaming-gadgets/simple-touch-glowlight/index.html

Facebook encouraging organ donations

This article discusses a new addition to the popular social networking site called Facebook. This new aspect is the organ donation option. People can now tell users all over facebook that they are willing to donate organs and help people around the world waiting for donations.

This article was extremely interesting to me. It is a huge advancement in the medical field, and also is associated through technology. This opens so many great opportunities for people around the world to have their lives saved. It is not only important to them, but important for the rest of the world as well. Especially for people to put this information out on the Internet. I found this article very interesting.

Steve, A. (2012, May 05).  "Facebook encouraging organ donations". Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/01/health/facebook-organ-donors/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Xandem's Security Sensors Can See Through Walls

This article is about a new invention by Xandem. A group of students discovered a new way to create security detectors that are unable to be interrupted. Joey Wilson took advantage of his knowledge and teamed up with Neal Patwari to create a sensor that uses radi waves to detect motion. These sensors are able to see through walls, couches, and any other furniture due to the radio waves. When the waves are interrupted, they detect motion. 

This new invention is extremely interesting to me for many reasons. First, this is a huge advancement in technology that can definitely have a significant impact on not only the world of technology, but also of criminals. Criminals will not be able to find the device, and therefore can be caught in the act. Next, I see this as portraying a threat of privacy invasion. The device is able to almost "spy" on people during their every moves. Last, these sensors have been placed in homes and will continue to be for years to come. I wonder if one day I will have one of these devices in my own home. This article was definitely interesting to me for these many reasons.

Eilene, Z. (2012, April 19). Cnn. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/19/technology/xandem/index.htm

My name is Colleen. I'm a dancer and a cheerleader, and I love to make people laugh.