Skye's Corner-

All things computer, all things technical are discussed here. DON"T use your full name or reveal anything about emails, cell phones or anything else personal!

by teacher: Brian McLaughlin

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 02:16 AM GMT • comment • Reads 64

Texter found guilty of vehicular homicide

Massachusetts sets legal precedent by convicting a driver of vehicular homicide for causing a fatal distracted driving accident.A Massachusetts court set a precedent by convicting a teenager of vehicular homicide for texting while driving. On June 6, 2012 a jury found Haverhill, Mass. resident Aaron Deveau, 18, guilty of vehicular homicide for a distracted driving accident he caused last year that took the life of Donald Bowley. Technology has become extremely dangerous in the past few years particularly texting while driving. It has become a distraction to drivers all over the world and rapidly continues to claim lives.

I found this article interesting because it is sending a message to all drivers who text when they drive, but instead should be keeping an eye on the road. The man convicted is now spending 2 1/2 years in prison for this offense.

Do not text and drive, it's against the law as this man learned a little too late!

Yvkoff, L. (2012, June 6). Cnet News. Retrieved from http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57448359-48/texter-found-guilty-of-vehicular-homicide/

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 01:56 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Facebook will disappear in a few years, says analyst

Will Facebook truly ever disappear? It may be hard to believed with Facebook reaching a staggering 1 billion members to this date, but the popular social network will essentially become a non-entity in several years, claims Ironfire Capital founder Eric Jackson. Will Facebook suffer the same fate as MySpace in a few years? That's what one analyst predicts. After Facebook coming public with it's stocks, many may say it's going to stay on top for a while. However, with technology and the Internet growing rapidly everyday, Facebook may indeed become extinct.

I found this article interesting because I found it hard to believe that a popular social networking site like Facebook could ever become extinct or disappear. But it is true that the Internet is vastly evolving everyday with new creative programs and websites.

Whitney, L. (2012, June 06). Cnet News. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57448057-93/facebook-will-disappear-in-a-few-years-says-analyst/

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 01:35 AM GMT • comment • Reads 46

iPhone 5 to offer 4-inch, 16:9 screen with HD camera

Have you been waiting for news on the next iPhone? Yes, well then new detail have arrived on the new iPhone's physical apperance. The next iPhone may sport a larger screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio and a high-definition camera in front, says an analyst with KGI. The screen was planned to be 4.3 inches; however, apple believed the larger screen to consume too much battery and be too hard to use with one hand.

I found this article intriguing because, I currently have the iPhone 4S and absolutely love everything about it! The outside camera is high def and its shoots 1080p video. The new phone will contain a larger screen and a better front facing camera. When it comes to phones its all about the specs that make me want to buy it. If the new iPhone does have a larger screen and high def front facing camera, I may have to consider buying it later this fall!

Whitney, L. (2012, June 06). Cnet News. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57448037-37/iphone-5-to-offer-4-inch-16-9-screen-with-hd-camera-says-analyst/

Article posted April 29, 2012 at 08:47 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

'Bully' Film Rating Lowered to PG-13 After Public Pressure

There was recent pressure on the MPAA as the release date for Bully approached closer and closer. Orginally, the film was to have a R- rating due to the use of vulgar language. Many parents were outraged by this and pushed forward a petition for the movie to receive a PG-13 rating instead. The PG-13 rating would allow people of a younger age to see it and the film would be allowed to play in public schools, which is the prime source of the bullying. A few weeks later, Bully did in fact receive an PG-13 rating.

This article was interesting because it is very important for children to see how bullying is effecting other people's lives whether it be cyber bulling or physical bullying. Now that it has a PG-13 rating I encourage everyone to see it and put an end to bullying.

Effron, L., & Millman, J. (2012, April 06). abc news. Retrieved from http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/04/bully-film-rating-lowered-to-pg-13-after-public-pressure/

Would you pay for a shared data plan?

Verizon Wireless may offer up a shared data plan this summer; however, in the past customers didn't want it. Will they like the shared data plan now? Prices so far are undetermined, but it gets expensive having a data plan on each phone. Will Verizon Wireless offer one this summer?

Even thought I do not pay the bills, I know data plans are expensive, so I was almost not allowed to purchase an Iphone. The rest of my family on the Verizon family plan do not have smartphones due to the rising cost of the data plan. Now, maybe if Verizon does produce a shared data plan my family will buy smartphones too.

Whitney, L. (2012, April 22). Would you pay for a shared data plan? Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57417815-93/would-you-pay-for-a-shared-data-plan/?tag=cnetRiver

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 01:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

Cleaning Tips for your Andriod Phone!

April is approaching and you guessed it, that means spring cleaning! You can not only clean your house, but also your phone. This websites offers useful tips on how to clear unwanted games, boast battery life, transfer data and more.

This article interested me because I have an andriod and the battery life is very low all the time and my phone's processing speed isn't as great as it was when I first opened it out of the box. This article allowed me to put some of my problems with my Android device to rest.

Cozma, N. (2012, April 8). Spring cleaning tips for your Android device. Retrieved from http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57410398-285/spring-cleaning-tips-for-your-android-device/?tag=mncol;editorPicks

Getting text spam? New Service help you report it

Do you hate getting spam text messages once, twice, or even three times a day? A new serivce provided by wirless phone carriers is a free service that allows you to report the spam texts. Seems too good to be true? It's a proven fact that the service works. When you receive a spam text message on your phone, forward that text to the shortcode 7726 (which spells "SPAM"). You'll then receive an automated message from your wireless carrier, asking you then to enter the phone number from which the spam text was sent. They will then send you back instructions on how to stop the spam messages.

I personally know it is very annoying to be sent spam messages over and over again. After a while they get on my nevers. This new service allows me to have no trouble with spam messages anymore!

Gahran, A. (2012, March 19). Getting text spam? new service helps you report it . Retrieved from http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/19/tech/mobile/text-spam-gahran/index.html

This trip was an eye opening experience!

A laser unprinter!

Yes, that does say a laser unprinter. Recently Cambridge researchers have successfully utlized a way to recycle paper already printed on without damaging the underlying paper. This can not only save trees, but can also significantly reduce climate-change emissions from paper producing facilities and recycling centers. The laser printer is still in prototype; however, once someone is willing to sponser the project, we may just be re-using the same piece of paper for years to come!

This article sparked my interest because I am a huge advocate in recycling to help save the planet. Plus, now when I screw up on my homework I don't have to use a million sheets of paper before I get it right. (And I'm talking about that pamphlet)

Moyer, E. (2012, March 15). Cnet news. Retrieved from http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57398247-1/next-up-on-your-to-buy-list-someday-a-laser-unprinter/

Is Apple's new iPad 3 going to be unveiled on March 7th?

Apple has sent out e-mails to journalists inviting them to a special premier. The e-mail featured a picture of an iPad with only one sentence, "We have something you really have to see and touch." Is it the new iPad 3? Rumors have spread about the new apple product including more battery life and including more pixels. On March 7th Apple has scheduled a special event in San Francisco. People have been waiting a while for the new iPad.

I do not yet own an iPad, but I am intrigued to see what the newest iPad will feature and possibly purchase one for myself.

Pepitone, J. (2012, February 28). Cnn money. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/28/technology/apple_ipad_3/index.htm