♥ Hailey's Blog ♥ ☮-

All things computer, all things technical are discussed here. DON"T use your full name or reveal anything about emails, cell phones or anything else personal!

by teacher: Brian McLaughlin

Article posted June 14, 2012 at 01:27 AM GMT • comment • Reads 59

Global Warming: to ignore or not to ignore?

Global Warming may be the greatest threat that has came upon humanity; however, many still choose to deny the facts and face the reality of it all. Some say the society has too much to worry over already such as abortion rights and the increasing obesity in children. On the other hand, though current economical and social problems pose a threat, global warming seems to have the greatest ultimate impact on humanity. What would you do? Save a couple of kids from getting obese or the world from facing floods, earthquakes, and storms? It's your decision.

The decision is up to you, but how can you know to make the right one. Simple, look at the facts that are given to you. Professional organizations such as NAS and AAAS that are associated with global warmings are credible sources. These organizations are calling for big actions quick for the benefit for humanity. Let's start with looking at the possibility for the future. You will soon notice and question which action is more acceptable for risk. No action while the truth being correct will be the worse senerio in this case. Going over all possibility allow you to make decisions with uncertainty.

If you have accepted the global warming is a growing endemic, make action. Address the situation to everyone around you becuase tackling global warming needs as many help as it can get. Spread the word to the world. Big policy changes must be made in today's lifestyles in order to reduce the threat global warming has on humanity.

Virgin Mobile to Start Selling iPhones June 29

The iPhone is one of the most popular smartphones consumers like to carry. Virgin Mobile said on Thursday that the company has become the seventh U.S. wireless company to carry the iPhone. Virgin Mobile however is requiring its customers to pay the iPhone's full retail cost. To sum up the prices, that is $649 for the 16 GB iPhone 4S. On the other hand, the company will offer U.S. customers the cheapest iPhone plans which consits of $35 per month for 300 voice and minutes.

Goldman, D. (2012, June 7). Virgin Mobile to start selling iPhones June 29. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/07/technology/virgin-mobile-iphone/index.htm

More Than Half of Seniors Now Use the Web

In today's generation, the technological advancements seemed to have impacted the younger crowd out of everyone else. The users of technology have the tendency to get younger and younger as advancements continue to strive forward. However, technology is also making an impact on the seniors of our society. According to new research, for the first time, more than half of Americans age 65 or older are now using the Internet or e-mail. These seniors now began a habit of going online everyday. E-mails are the topic that is most popular among the seniors unlike many social networking sites online. Though seniors make their way in moving towards smartphones and new gagets, technology is impacting all ages throughout the world.

Gahran, A. (2012, June 7). Report: More than half of seniors now use the Web. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/tech/mobile/seniors-digital-divide/index.html

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 02:33 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

More Than Six Million Linkedln Passwords Stolen

Linkedln is a social networking site and more than six million passwords on the site has been stolen. On Wednesday, Russian hackers released a ginat list of passwords corresponding to Linkedln accounts. The company itself did not offer information about how the passwords were stolen or the damage made to the account to the public. The hackers posted the passwords on a Russian online forum with a cryptographic code. Several security researchers found the Linkedln passwords on the list. The good news about this break in is that no user names have been discovered along with the passwords; therefore, it is highly recommended for Linkedln users to change their passwords.

Goldman, D. (2012, June 6). More than 6 million Linkedln passwords stolen. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/06/technology/linkedin-password-hack/index.htm

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 02:22 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

Google Glass

Sergey Brin is the creator of the Google Glass headset in the Google X labs. The headset is light, comfortable, and give the user the sense of capacity of use in the future. The Google Glass inferface can be navigated by the touchpad on the right side of the headset. High quality of image are able to be displayed in the glasses. While using Google Glass, it is easy to focus on something beyond the glasses and quickly back to what is on the glasses itself. Though the first Google Glass is a rough prototype, Google hopes to advance and develop the product to its full capacity.

Baldwin, R. (2012, May 30). Sergery Brin finally lets someone else wear Google Glass. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/30/tech/innovation/google-glass-sharing-wired/index.html

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 02:14 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

Goodbye Goodle Places, Hello More Google Plus

Google Places seems to be nearly gone as Goole Plus makes its way in replacing the old feature. Google+ now combines its social site with a renowned restaurant reviewers, Zagat. On Wednesday, it was announced that Google Plus Local is the latest attempt to incorporate its networking site into more of its other products. The goal is to reach to the flawless web experience for the users. Plus Local lets users discover and share information about local restaurants, shops, and other sites. These results will include reviews from Zagat, which Google bought in September, along with rating and comment from friends. Google Plus report more than about 100 million users since opening it to the public. Though it is far from Facebook's roughtly 900 million users, many say that Google Plus with its new feature of Google Plus Local might be a wat of catching up.

Gross, D. (2012, May 30). Goodbye Google Places, hello more Google Plus. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/30/tech/web/google-places-plus/index.html

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 01:42 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

Should 11-Year-Olds Join Facebook?

Do you believe younger children should be able to use Facebook and under what conditions? Today, Facebook bans children younger 13; however, the internet world questions the underage users. According to the 2011 Consumer Reports, 7.5 million users under the age of 13 use Facebook, often with their parents' knowledge. Facebook is moving to create a more kid friendly version of the former Facebook with the help of parents. Facebook for kids plans on not having ads and having more extra privacy protections. Some say that Facebook is simply now trying to profit from the younger crowd; however, in a generation where the children are becoming more technologically advanced than the adults, it is logical to slowly allow the younger crowd to the technological world.

Sutter, J. (2012, June 4). Should 11-year-olds join facebook? Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/04/tech/social-media/facebook-minors/index.html

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

What Is So Addictive About Angry Birds?

In 2009, the Rovio company released Angry Birds to the world. In the game, players singshot birds across the screen to take down the cartoon pigs that stole their eggs. The success of the addictive and popular game does not stop there.  Rovio has marketed Angry Birds to cookbooks, theme parks, clothing appearal, toys, soda brands, and now a upcoming television show based on the birds and the pigs themselves. The app as been downloaded one billion times and 30% of the company's revenue comes from other items based on the game. Last year, Rovio reported an earning of $106 million from Angry Birds. However, the company believes Rovio has exhausted nearly all its options for marketing; therefore, Rovio's team of designers are working to create new games that can follow the franchise hit of Angry Birds.

Sutter, J. (2012, June 5). What's so addictive about 'Angry Birds'? Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/03/tech/gaming-gadgets/angry-birds-question-answer/index.html

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 12:45 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

How Xbox SmartGlass Will Work

Microsoft unveiled the Xbox SmartGlass at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles. The Xbox SmartGlass still consists of its original gaming aspect; however, it will feature a lot more of all kinds of entertainment. The SmartGlass will work close in hand with the upcoming Windows 8 operating system. The Xbox SmartGlass is not a type of glass, but is actually an app that will work with the Windows 8 operating system. However, the user does not need a Windows phone or tablet. The app is free to use. As long as you have the right hardware, there will be no extra cost in downloading it. Microsoft stated that SmartGlass will be available this fall.

Gross, D. (2012, June 6). How Xbox SmartGlass will work. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/tech/gaming-gadgets/xbox-smartglass-explainer/index.html

Article posted June 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Twitter's Bird Logo Gets a Makeover

As of Wednesday, Twitter is replacing its old bird logo (and lower-case

The cute Twitter bird that has symbolized Twitter since 2012 is getting a makeover! The social-networking company now wants to be universally known by the new bird logo. Twitter posted on its blog yesterday that there is no longer a need for the bubbled lowercase "t" to represent Twitter. The new twitter bird is smaller, has fewer feathers, and angled more upwards compared to the original. Twitter gave no reason for replacing the former bird. Twitter hopes to refresh its social networking site with its no bird logo starting with the old icon in the Apple App Store.

Griggs, B. (2012, June 6). Twitter's bird logo get a makeover. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/06/tech/social-media/twitter-bird-logo/index.html

"Everyone smiles in the same language." Hailey's Interests: ☮Running ☮Pasta ☮Turtles ☮Laughing