Copyright (c) 2014 by ladybugforever Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
ladybugforever -- Blogmeister

6th Grade

Ideas, thoughts, creative writings, or classroom Meanderings!

by ladybugforever

teacher: Rob Jacklin

Title: Mentors (04/13/12)
Description: Students blogging about what a mentor is or what a good mentor looks like. Finally, how does the Bible figure of Elisha relate to mentoring?

What A Mentor Means to ME!

Mentor: a wise and trusted counselor or teacher

What makes a good Mentor:

Mentors who listen

Mentors who guide

Mentors who Educate

Mentors who are supportive

Mentors are nice educated people they teach, give a good education to children, and are kind.

Elijah was a good mentor to Elisha. He taught people about the good news of God. He helped Elisha through his troubles and gave him directions of how to get through his troubles,

Mentoring is very important and you need it to help you in life. 

For example, mentors teach you everything that you need to know!  You never have to have one designated mentor. If you choose one mentor, they normally teach you one specific thing, such as math, sceince, launguage arts, history, and/or many more subjects. A mentor is like a counsler. One question to ask yourself before choosing a mentor is " Can I trust this person?" or " Do I need this person to teach me?" 

Mentoring is a very important matter discussing your future occupations and ways of living. If you want to be a CFO, you should get a mentor for math. CFOs need math skills to count money and pay the checks. If you want to work at a resturant, you need correct grammar skills so that you can talk to the customers correctly. There are many more jobs involving different learning skills, so make sure you choose your best subject.

Mentors can also be tutors, not just teachers. Tutors are part time teachers that you can use to help you in school. There are many different tutors for many different subjects. My freind has a tutor that helps her with math, and now she is really smart! (not that she wasn't before) Now she is more brilliant than ever!!

A good mentor has these traits...

• they should be patient

• open to suggestions

• they dont overdo with giving homework

• are constructive

• set reasonable goals

• communicate good with children and adults

• are able to cope with their student

• able to encourage thier student

• explaine stuff well

• nice

• set good rules that the student agrees with

• likes kids

• understands

A mentor is someone a person usually of a younger age looks up to. They are wise and a great role model. Their strong counselling helps guide the pupil down a road of success. Mentors should show traits such as:

-Wisdom

-Supportiveness

-Tolerance

-Strictness

-Arrogance

-Leadership Skills

-Strong Personality

With these traits the menniti will become a great person and will move on to greater things. Mentors should try to avoid:

-Getting drunk in front of menniti

-Doing stupid things

-Taking drugs in front of menniti

-Making bad decisions

-Self-centeredness

-Low self esteem

-Not caring for what they have to say

In my opinion, a good mentor is a wise and trusted counselor or teacher. Mentors are helpful in many ways. For instance, mentors enhance training and career development, influence attitudes and professional outlook, and increases peoples self confidence. Here are some qualities of a mentor. They are willing to share skills, knowledge and expertise, authentic, personally involved, listens to your ideas, continues to learn and grow, assumes you’re great, and builds you up. A good example of a mentor is Elijah. He was Elisha’s mentor and taught him how to be a strong prophet throughout life and sharing God’s word.  

What do mentors do?

A mentor:

1. Advocates

2.Acquires resources

3. Acts as a role model

4. Protects

5. Advises

6. Coaches

7. Supports us.

8. Offer friendship

9. Teach by example

and

10. Stand by their mentee in difficult situations.

(They also do many more things!)

I think a mentor will be there for you through any thing and help you in a hard time.

A mentor can help someone develop goals and reach steps required to reach those goals.

This is what I think a mentor does. What about you?

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;

color:#548DD4;mso-themecolor:text2;mso-themetint:153;mso-ansi-language:EN;

mso-fareast-language:EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA">I

color:#7030A0;mso-ansi-language:EN;mso-fareast-language:EN-US;mso-bidi-language:

AR-SA">n the bible story of Elisha mentoring took place, and Elijah was his mentor! I think that Elijah gladly helped Elisha in his life

color:#365F91;mso-themecolor:accent1;mso-themeshade:191;mso-ansi-language:EN;

mso-fareast-language:EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA">.

I think that a good mentor is a wise and trusted guide and advisor. Also I think that a good mentor is a wise and trusted counselor and teacher. Here are some words about being a mentor Advisor, master, guide, and preceptor. Elisha’s mentor was Elijah and he taught him to be a good prophet and to share Gods word.

What makes a good Mentor:

Mentors:

•  Listen-

This is important because they give full attention

•   Guide-

This is important because they get stuff done.

•   Practical-

This is important because this also gets stuff done.

• Educate

This is important so the meentee can learn.     

• Accesible

This is important because they will always be available for the meetee.

• Supportive

This is important because they keep their meentee in a happy mood.

• Specific

This is important because the meentee can learn clearly.

• Care

This is important because they care about each as a bond.

• Succeed

This is important so the meentee can go on in life.

• Admirable

This is important so people can hire the mentor.

Defionition:

• a wise and trusted counselor or teacher.

• an influential senior sponsor or supporter.

Mentor – Elisha:

·         What Elijah meant to Elisha was a fond friendship

·         They walked and talked to people about God

·         When Elijah went up to heaven Elisha was able to carry out the rest of Elijah’s deeds

·         Elisha was taught  by Elijah to serve Go

mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;mso-fareast-theme-font:

minor-latin;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;mso-ansi-language:EN-US;mso-fareast-language:

EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA">http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/jrichardson/documents/mentor.htm

Mentors are not afraid to learn from their mistakes.  They cheer on who they are helping.  Mentors educate about life and their own careers.  They use constructtive criticizim to help out.  Supportiveness has a big deal to do with being a good mentor.  Mentors guide their mentee to the goal they are reaching for.  For the mentor's mentee to reach success the mentor has to care and be very specific.  Hopefully the mentor will be admirable for the mentee to be a great success.  Elijah was a good mentor to Elisha even though God told Elisha he had to leave his family.  He turned out to be one of the best prophets ever.

Work cited page:http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/jrichardson/documents/mentor.htm 

My definition of a mentor is: Someone who can cope with young people that are not as smart as others, someone who can give constructive critizism and advice, a person who is patient and kind, someone who is flexible and open, and a good listener to problems and questions.

To the bible character Elisha a mentor was Elijah, Elisha could rely on Elijah and trust him to teach Elisha how to be a good prophet in spreading God's Word.                                                                         Some examples came from:          http://www.mentoring.org/get_involved/become_a_mentor/

This week in technology we have been talking about mentors and what they do. When i think about mentors and mentoring i think that mentors should...

• Lead you

• Help you with your problems

• Teach

• Build you up

• Listen to you                                                                                                                           Also, when i think of mentors and what they are i think they are...

• A leader

• Have more experience than you

• Are wiser and now more than you

• Are there for you

Elija was a mentor to Elisha because Elisha left home and found the chariots and the horses.

By definition the word mentor means a wise and trusted teacher or counseler. 

A mentor ………

·        Leads by example

·        Has experience in your in what your doing and willling to share skills andknowledge.

·        Has integrity.

·        Shares similar values.

·        Gives advice based on experience.

·        Listens.

·        Helps you learn what they didn’t teach in school

·        Has positive experience.

·        Has a good reputation for developing others.

·        Has time and energy to devote to mentoring.

·        Has up-to-date knowledge.

·        Has a learning attitude.

·        Has demonstrated effective managerial/mentoring skills.

·        Creates opportunities and opens doors.

·        Knows your strengths and abilities.

Knowing this, Elisha is a mentor to Elijha which is important because God mentors us everyday of our lives.

Examples of a mentor and how Elijah mentored Elija

I think a good mentor will…

v Build you up

v Listens to you

v Is personally involved

v Give you advice

v Share their own experiences

Definition : Is to advise or train (someone)

I think a  mentor could be a trusted friend or teacher That knows more about what you need help with or what your studying then you do. Mentors are usually older then you are.  Elisha was sort of mentored by Elijah by teaching him things and helping him. When Elijah died Elisha took over his place.

A mentor is a person who is willing to help others when they need it the most. They also have lots of experience and know what they are doing and that is why people look up to them. Some mentors have been mentored and that is why they tend to be such good mentors themselves. They have a great reputation for helping develop others. It takes lots of time and energy to be a mentor. Mentors also have up-to-date knowledge of the subject. Mentors also listen to their mentees. Mentors are very good at prioritizing and keeping their mentees on task. Mentors are also known to be good educators about careers and life. They use their personal experiences to help their mentees learn. Mentors are available to their mentees as resources for different topics. Mentors give lots of constructive criticism. They are very specific with every word that comes out of their mouths. Mentors are very good at correcting mistakes in a polite way. They are very well respected by their mentees. A good mentor requires lots of skill and education.

Mentors are Good Listeners, Caring friends, Confidence builders, Ordinary People, Advisers, and Guides. Mentors can be wise and trusted counselors or teachers. They also can be an influential supporter. Mentors are committed to making the world a better place and are the guides and keys to success. The bible also talks about mentoring. Elijah was Elisha's mentor. Elijah had a large role in Elisha becoming the prophet he was. This story is a good example of the influence mentoring can make.

Mentoring

The definition of mentoring is a person who sets a strong good influence in your life. The person being mentored that is a male is a protégé, and protégée are female people who are getting mentored."Mentoring" is a process that always involves communication and is relationship based, but its precise definition is elusive. The definition of a mentee is the person who is being mentored

Here are many ways to mentor!

·         Helping people with a job

·         Teaching them how to do something

·          being a leader to a person

·         Be a good friend to people who are lonely on sad

Mentoring is building a relationship between usually older mentor and the usually younger mentee.

Mentoring is mainly about communication you need to be friends with that person and build a relationship with the mentee.

Elijah mentored Elisha by teaching him about being a prophet and how to teach others about Jesus and helping them learn about.  They had a good relationship and knew each other well and had communication.

Charestics of a good mentor...

• Can deal with young kids

• Nice

• Patience

• Flexible

• Open

• are constructive

• Sets goals

Things a mentor should not be...

• Mean

• Impatient

• Not understanding

•  

I've heard that mainly most most mentors give their mentee's their full attenton and never push their mentee's. Mentors help their mentee's make a goal in life and set it, most mentee's learn from their mistakes and make wise decisions. Mentors are always specific about their actions. Mentors are always supportive and encourage their mentee's. Mentors care about their mentee's progress. And last mentors are usually well admired.

Well I think Elijah and Elisha both cared about each other and especially Elijah cared about Elisha because he was Elisha's mentor and cared alot about him and his progress toward his relationship with God and the Bible. 

And being the best prophet he can be in spreading God's word.