Home of the Astronaut Accountants-

Vote for Nate on Twitter using #nate #drafted up to 5 times per day

by teacher: Nate Jurgens

Title: What if? (02/09/12)
Description: The unthinkable has happened! All means of electronic and mechanical media communication has disappeared! No phones, no newspapers, no internet-- and more! What will you do? Find an appropriate picture then write a paragraph on how this catastophe will affect 1) you 2.) your family and community 3) the world!

Article posted February 10, 2012 at 04:43 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 79

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smemon/5209796269/sizes/m/in/photostream/

Not to be melodramatic or anything, but I would die without media - suffer greatly at the very least. The closest relationship that I have is with my iPhone. I regularly write sweet nothings in my "Notes" app for it. Not literally, but it knows how I feel.

I truly do think that if the world didn't have media, there would be complete anarchy. Things would be wildly misinterpreted; no "sorry I didn't make it to your poem reading last night, I have no phone to remind me" texts. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, missing that poem reading, but your friend would be super angry.

This becomes more substantial with the thought that world rulers could not converse with each other; how would we communicate what goods to export? We couldn't. So many problems arrising from this, and causing us to be "in our own world" even more than before. As if that were possible. 

It is because of our reliance on media, getting the message across and all of the many other comforts it provides us with that this deprivation would be horrifying. We are USED to being babyfed all of this social information that shows up in people's profile descriptions, etc. that there is no need for handwritten letters or icebreakers anymore. Most people don't even know how badly they rely on their e-calendars, etc. and the shock that all of their stored information had all-of-a-sudden disappeared would petrify most. 

You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. 

Article posted February 13, 2012 at 02:52 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

I read a book once that was called Life As We Knew It, By Susan Beth Pfeffer. In it there was a metior that crashed into the moon causing the whole world to go into a state of shock. The places that were near water were bombarded with tsunamis. Every one else was cut of from the rest of the world. There was no electricity, so unless you had a fireplace in your house you would freeze to death, also there was no cell phones, internet or any way of comunicating in any way unless it was face to face. If this actually happend I think that the world would shut down. I mean sure we have gone without technology for a long time, but todays society is so dependent on technology that if this ever did happen everyone would have a hard time surviving. Not only would it be very hard to find warmth unless you had a fireplace (a real one), all the grocery stores would shut down because there would be no comunication between contries and trade would slow down and stop.This, of course is a very extreme example, but I think you get  the point.

I am pretty sure that if this happened to me, I would DIE=http:// I LOVE the internet and could never live without it. Not because it keeps me connected to the world, but becuase I can comunicate with people without haveing to ever talk to them.  This is great because im a socially awkward person, and if the internet ever shut down I would just be in a corner, in the fetal position, talking to myself.

I think my familly would take it much better  because they are not weirdos like me. :D

http://sp0.fotolog.com/photo/48/12/42/john_cena24/1199655098_f.jpg

http://openclipart.org/image/250px/svg_to_png/1081/liftarn_Smashed_TV.png

1) It would affect me greatly because I do everything on the computer. Like talking to family and friends who dont live in North Battleford.

2)It would affect my family greatly because we talk to each other through email and facebook. It would affect the community because now you can't do online banking which everyone does pretty much.

3)It would affect the world greatly because families who live overseas can't phone there families in Canada. Everything is pretty much online now and people relie on the internet for everything now a days.

Article posted February 13, 2012 at 03:52 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 43

If there where no more phones, newspapers, or internet, I would loose all connection to the world and the news it brings.  I woulden't be able to see what was happing around the world, wouldnt't be able to text my friends to see where they where are at. I would be in the dark on what new products would be comming out, but on the other side i would connect much more with family and friends, seeing that we are actully face to face. If I went to a freinds house and my car broke down i couldn't call my mom to tell her that i was going to be a little late. We would have NO clue on what was happening around the world as for wars,  ground breaking new thats to hit the shelf the next day worthy type news.. What i can say if there  was no technology , everyone would have a lot harder time getting info out to people as and as for people it would be inpossible to know what was happing with our world.

If there was no more electrical means of communication, the world would corrupt quickly.  It would take longer to communicate to other countries with important things like threats.  I am so used to using technology for communication that I would probably go into shock.  I would almost die, but after a while, I would get used to living without it.  my family would find it bad, but they could live without it. People would go crazy, and before we know it, the world would be in apocalypse mode. 

Article posted February 10, 2012 at 05:17 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 39

So a question has occured to me recently. What if we lost all technology and means of mechanical communication at this very moment? I know I would go crazy! I don't know what I'd do without texting, Facebook, video games, and so on. Maybe after a few weeks, I'll learn to deal with it. My family, on the other hand, would probably be just fine without it. After a couple days or so, they'd probably be out hunting deer with spears and possibly have a small colony started. The community and the general population of the world would become lost and very angered. Riots would spread internationally, suicide rates would sky-rocket, trade systems with other countries would cease to exist, "getting the word out" would take weeks instead of only a couple minutes to an hour, etc. From my perspective, society as a whole would crumble without technology. 

http://www.loshombres.org/californication/2003_10_01_archive.html

The unthinkable has happened! All means of electronic and mechanical media communication has disappeared! No phones, no newspapers, no internet-- and more! What will you do? How will this catastophe affect 1) you 2.) your family and community 3) the world!

•  I pretty much only use technology for getting drawing ideas, also I use GIMP to draw whatever I want. Losing the internet wouldn't be as big of a deal to me, I would just end up drawing on paper like I always used to do before I discovered GIMP.

• I believe losing technology would affect my family in good and bad ways. My dad is a social worker, and he has to depend on his cell phone for information. Sometimes he gets calls early in the morning. I know technology plays a huge role in his life/job. My baby brother is always playing on video games which I dislike hugely. Growing up I was always outside playing, I had a huge imagination! Which I miss greatly! Wish my baby brother could use his as much as I did. My parents use to technology for information, wheather changes, and whats going on in the comunity. I think if technology stopped crime will rise because no one could call for help. I would just wish for the best.

• Losing technology would mean we would lose connection to the enitire world, which is a pretty big deal. How could we contact the rest of the world for resources? Now a days people rely to much on technoloy, also we're so used to having so much free time with our easy lifestyle. How many people could actually survive on their own? How many people will we lose? Money will become just paper in our eyes. How will the rich and powerful expect to survive then? The poor will most likely strive in this new world. Our way of life has flipped, the poor are powerful, they know how to survive without technology. Bad things aren't the only things that will happen, the world can finally replenish it's self. Wipe away the dark ages and strive. Animals have a high chance of survival once ago. Welcome to a new age.

undefined