YankeeGirl127-

We are Mr. Brune's 5th Grade at Mamaroneck Avenue School in Mamaroneck, NY, USA!

by teacher: MAS 5B 2011 - 2012
Go Yankees! 02/06/12

Title: Return to the Moon (03/11/12)
Description: cutie#1

The year is 2015. For the first time since 1972, a crew of astronauts is returning to the Moon... this time to stay. Leaving Earth's orbit, then entering lunar orbit, they will launch a probe to the Moon's surface to gather data which will help them determine the best lunar landing site. Their goal is to establish a permanent base on the lunar surface for observation and exploration and as a stepping stone for future, manned explorations.

When I went to the Buhler center My mission was a successful mission. It was a great experience I'm glad I went. Before I went to the Buhler center we had learned about what we will be doing (that helped succeed are mission.)

The team I was on was the communication team it was really fun. I had a team member her name was Jackie .It was a big responsibility because if I had done something wrong it could of really affected are mission. And also some people’s jobs can be affected. My job responsibilities were to tell mission control or spacecraft what I had to tell them like if someone said can you tell medical team they can move on to the next project and if I was in spacecraft I would tell mission control. And I was in mission control I would tell spacecraft.

The most important information I collected was to speak clearly in the microphone because if I didn’t they might think I said something else but I didn’t so they might not understand what to speak into microphone more clearly but other wise I thought are mission went really well and I would of not changed anything. I think you need to prepare for the trip, but it is a really fun trip!

Return to the Moon

I went to the Buehler Challenger and Science center. Buehler is place where you can be in a spacecraft or mission control. You get different teams. I was on the navigation team. I had a lot of responsibilities like determining latitude and longitude, and finding a good place to land on the moon. The most important information I collected was about the moonquakes and where there are not so many. The most difficult part of my job was finding a good place to land. Looking at that map of the moon was like looking at a map of another planet. I wasn’t exactly shooting for navigation, and I didn’t know much. If I could fly again, I would find out more about the navigation team.

This week I went to the Beuhler Challenge and learning Center in Bergen County.it is a center where kids have a mission in memory of the Challenger Mission in 1986 when a teacher went up in the space shuttle for something called a teacher program. Unfortunately, there was a malfunction in the rocket boosters, and they lost their lives.

I was part of the remote team. I was responsible for checking if there were dangerous rocks on board or on the moon. You really had to be patient because in the glove box it was really easy to drop stuff.

If I had a chance to fly again I would like to be on the communications team because I would be much better on that team.

I went to the Buehler Challenger and Science Center on 2/13/12. My mission was to land on a permanent base on the moon. I was on the Probe team. My job responsibilities included: Building and deploying a probe, and to find a landing spot. The most important information I collected was how the MMD and MX and all other stuff worked. (I don’t even know what they were!) The part of my job that was most difficult was communicating with my teammates because my partners couldn’t hear me. If I could fly again I would try to listen to instructions clearly and speak clearly too.

My Mission

I recently went to the Buehler Challenger & Science Center in Paramus, New Jersey. It was a memorial dedicated to the NASA Challenger explosion on January 28, 1986. I was very excited, and I got to learn a lot about space.

My mission…was a success! As a part of the Isolation team, I had to find the dangerous materials and tell the people in the spacecraft. It was a difficult job, but it all turned out good in the end. The most difficult and important part was, again, was to find dangerous materials that were on board and tell the spacecraft so that they can dispose of them.

What would I do differently if I were to fly again? First, I would know how to control the robots quicker so that I can find out the total mass of grams in each bottle. If you were to go as the Isolation team I would give you some advice: it is very challenging and sometimes confusing.

Return to the Moon

Buehler Challenger and Science Center is a training center dedicated to the astronauts that died in a mission called the Challenger mission. Then a man named Beuhler donated the most money to a Challenger center in New Jersey.

I was a part of the medical team. My responsibilities were to check the crewmembers’ blood pressure, eye sight, temperatures, and reaction time. The most important part of my job was to see if the crew members were exposed to radiation, and to check if the are healthy or not. If they’re not healthy, it could jeopardize the whole mission. 

The most difficult part of my job was doing the math to find out the average of each test. It involved confusing decimal division and fractions.

If I had a second chance to fly, I would work more quickly and try to ignore all distractions.   

On January 25, 1986, the Challenger space shuttle exploded from the cold weather. A teacher and other crew members lost their lives. No survivors. In honor of those brave people, the husbands and wives helped make centers called Challenger Center. Now it is all over the United States. Now we use a simulation of what real astronauts do.

I was part of the probe team in the space-craft first. I had a partner named shamefulcoud. Our other partner was in mission control first. My team’s responsibility was to make and send a probe to the moon. We had to listen clearly and find the right wires and plug it in. It was a lot of hard work. But it was worth it. The most important information we collected during the mission was the longitude and latitude. For me and Jackson, it was fun! The most difficult thing was to find the wires and plugging it in. There were a lot of wires!

What I would do if I had to fly again was this: I would listen more clearly and that would improve me. Next I would do is plug it in more. When I was in the space craft, the buttons weren’t blinking.

Mission

On Monday 2/13/12 my class and I went to Buehler Challenger and Learning Center. It is a place in New Jersey where children have to solve a mission in space. If you want to learn about everything I experienced, read this essay.

I was part of the life support team. In life support we did PH tests. We got to pour water into a cup and it was hard because it had too much or too little every single time. In mission control we had to see what the temperature in the spacecraft was. The most difficult part was when we had to pour the water in the cups because like I said it was always too much and too little.

This mission was so fun, and I would go back any day.

My Successful Mission

At the Beuhler Science Challenger Center there are many jobs. They built it because of the 7 astronauts who died on the mission challenger.

Let me tell you some important things. The team I was in was life support. I had to check how much air we had in the spacecraft. In mission control we had to receive and deliver so many messages. I thought performing ph tests was really amazing. The thing I thought was most difficult was following these tricky and confusing task cards to pay attention to.

I would love to try to do communication. You should be patient when you need to receive a message from someone else in every job, well almost all the jobs.

Return to the Moon

The Challenger Science Center is a place where you learn about astronauts and how they went to the moon! You also get to feel and do the same things as the astronauts did. You get to communicate on a microphone and find data about the moon.

When I went to the Challenger Science Center, my job was life support. I wanted medical but I still loved my job. In life support you had to make sure we were breathing the right air, and if you weren’t you would have to change it. It was difficult. You would have to know your vocabulary. You also send messages to the data team.

What I learned on life support team was to always work fast and do what it says on the task cards. I also learned that you and your partner would have to use team work to figure out what to do.

The most difficult part in life support team was to change the air filter. It was difficult because my partner and I didn’t know where the old air filter was. We only had two minutes to find it. Then we found it but the gas was coming out and we had to change it fast. Then I knew I should have studied my vocabulary better.

What I would do differently the next time I visit the Challenger Science Center is study my vocabulary better, use team work, and listen to the commander. This was good experience for me because I want to be a doctor when I grow up, and doctors have to listen to directions and listen to their boss.

We recently returned to the moon. The trip was a success! Our team worked challenger center and our mission was at the called,” Return to the Moon.

I was part of the remote team. My job responsibilities included testing rock samples and soil. Also I had to classify lunar rock samples. The most significant information I collected during the mission was the rock samples. It was important because it gave us more information about the moon’s surface. The part of my job that I found to be difficult was to find the perfect landing spot. You have to land the shuttle very carefully so that you are in the right place in the moon. Also picking up the materials in the glove box.

If I had the chance to fly again, I would change my job to data because it looks like an easier job than remote team.

The Challenger Space Trip

Buehler is a place for the memory of the seven astronauts that died on Challenger Space Shuttle Mission in 1986. It helps kids know how the seven astronauts trained for their mission.

I was on the Life Support Team. What I had to do is see what the air temperature was in the space craft and make sure the air filter was clean. It was hard for me because I am not good at measurements. But it was fun to try something new.

The most important thing about the mission was when we had to get all the information we needed like how strong the air was and to see that if the air was clean so we can breath.

The hardest thing about my job was when me and Katie were working. This smoke came out of the fan on the wall so me and Katie had to change the air filter so we had clean air. If we hadn’t cleaned the filter just in time, we wouldn’t have a successful mission. But we changed it just in time.

If I could fly again, I would work faster and read the directions more carefully because I had to change the air filter. I did not know where the cabinet was, so that is why we had the air filter problem. So that is something I would do better if I could fly again.

Return To The Moon!

Now, before I tell you what I did there, I’m going to be telling you about some of the Buehler Science Center’s history.

The Buehler Science Center was built in honor of the challenger mission in 1086. It is made for kids to experience going to the moon. Kids get to experience what the astronauts experienced when they were going to the moon. There a six teams, one of each in mission control and one in space craft. Before you go there each student will fill out a job aplacation, saying which jobs you want and which ones you think you will be good at. Then when you find out what job you’re going to be doing, you start training for that job.

When I joined my class in the Buehler Science Center, I was part of the Remote Team. It was very confusing, and I don’t think I was good at it, and I don’t think it exactly fit me, but I’m still glad I went.

My responsibilities on the remote team when I was on space craft, was I would use the glove box, which is a place just for the Remote Team where you wear special gloves and test things, and then you analyze it and give it to the data team, and they sent it to mission control. When you are in Mission Control, you get the data from the space craft and you record it on a data log. And you find information on a computer special for what kind of work you need to do.

I think the most important part of my job was just following directions. Just because if you forget a little detail, you might mess up the whole thing.

If I had a change to fly again, I would change my team, because I wasn’t good at it, and I think someone else would do a better job than me. After seeing what all the teams were like, I’d think I’d think I’d be best at communication, data, or medical.

Over all, I had a good experience there, and I learned about space. You can also have birthday parties there, and there’s an awesome gift shop! So, go try it out, and you might have fun!

CHALLENGER MISSION

Beuhler Challenger Center is really fun because we had to pretend that we were actually sending a space shuttle to the moon. It was really fun. We were feeling like the actual things the astronauts would feel when they go into space.

I was on the REM Team also known as the Remote Team. What we had to do was determine a good landing spot for the shuttle to land, test soil samples and rock samples, and work with the glove box.

I had responsibilities for my team. I think that my responsibilities were to really work as a team and testing soil and rock samples to see if they were magnetic.

There were also hard parts of my job. One of them was to determine a good landing spot for the shuttle. I had two choices to make and that part was really hard because I didn’t know which choice was the right one. Also, picking up the stuff in the glove box was hard. I couldn’t really move around because there was a certain place where we had to put our hands in.

If I were to “fly” again I would really watch out for alarms and follow directions more carefully. One last thing, my job wasn’t really that hard for me but you need to work as a team so you get things right.

Mission Thoughts

In 1986 no astronauts survived the space mission called the Challenger which exploded with a teacher on board. They have made memorials to remember those astronauts. One is called Buehler Science Center. Now there is a simulation to go to the Moon!

I was a part of the Medical Team. My job responsibilities were having to take skin temperatures correctly, and in mission control I had to read them correctly, and write it down.

The most important information I got was learning about the most common space sicknesses there were. For example, radiation sickness and about the eye and how it gets affected in space. The hardest part about my job was getting the temperatures correct and reading it and writing it down. For example, if I moved my hand too much on the patient’s forehead, I could get the temperatures way wrong! Also another example would be if they moved their forehead too much, they would get a totally wrong temperature.

If I could do something different and if I had the chance to fly again, it would probably be to get further in my work. I did a good amount of work, but I wish I could finish it all. People should know that my job is not easy. Really, it’s actually very hard to get everything correct about peripheral visions.

MY MISSION

I went to Behuler Challenger and Science center. I was in a simulation. Here’s how my mission went.

I was part of the probe team. Our responsibilities were to build a probe, launch the probe, and meet up with remote and navigation team to find a landing spot for it. The most important information that I collected was the chemical compound because that was to determine the landing spot for the probe. The most difficult part of my job was to build a probe because you had to know the different types of wires and probe parts.

If I were to fly again I would listen to directions more clearly and get used to the probe parts. You should know that it is very fun and you will enjoy it.

Return to the Moon

Today I am here to talk about the Challenger Center. The Challenger Center is a learning center where you get to experience how people in mission control and spacecraft work, kind of like a simulation.

I was on the data team. My responsibility was to send messages to people and receive messages. We also had some priority messages to send to the spacecraft as soon as possible. The most difficult thing I had to do in my team was to read the handwriting. I really didn’t understand what they wrote. What I would do was to go ask them what they wrote, but when I did they got all mad. Then I had to try my best, and I believe that I spelled a few words wrong.

If I got to go to the space center again, I would do things a little bit faster. This job can be a little bit frustrating, but it is always fun.

We recently returned to the moon during a Challenger Center Mission. Our mission was a success.

I was part of the medical team. My job responsibilities included testing for response time, measuring skin temperatures, measuring respiration, measuring blood pressure and testing for peripheral vision. The most significant information I collected during the mission was the data collected from our tests. The data helped tell us that the astronauts could survive on the moon. Since the moons atmosphere is different from Earths, my team needed to research the human body’s response on the moon. We found that the human body can walk on the moon with the right equipment. The part of my job that I found to be most difficult was making sure that the humans stay safe on the moon.

If I had the chance to fly again, I would do the following things differently. I would change my job to communications. This is because the communication job looked like fun and a little easier than the medical team’s job.

Hello, I have been recently recruited by NASA. I got a message. It said NASA has been looking for someone to work on their navigation team. The whole reason why this was created was for the seven astronauts who lost there lives while flying to space.

Being part of the navigation team I had to do a lot of things. I had to determine the landing site for the space ship. I had to find out if the high land or low land is a good place to land the ship.

Really the most important part was finding the landing site because if I didn’t find a good site my team wouldn’t know where to launch the probe.

For me, the hardest part was finding the right coordinates. I had to calculate and do a lot of math.

Even though things were hard, I still had a good time.

Mas5thgrade2012's bookshelf: yankeegirl127

goodreads.com