Copyright (c) 2014 by Lindsay Stuart Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Lindsay Stuart -- Blogmeister

-

Ms. S's Kinders

A room full of wonder, learning and community.

by Lindsay Stuart

No Links added yet!

Article posted April 28, 2014 at 12:12 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 649

Hi All

I hope everyone had a great holiday!!

Over the break, I set up a new blogging site with which to share all the exciting things happening in our room. From now on, please visit us at http://msstuartskinders.blogspot.ca/

This site will remain active, but will no longer be updated. If you have any question about the new site, let me know!!!

Since I am unable to upload a picture to the blog of the candy jar guessing game, I have added the picture to everyone's e-portfolio. Log in to your child's account and you will be able to see the picture to make a guess!

For some reason, the program I have been using to upload photos to our blog is no longer working. I am going to take some time over the spring holiday to explore a few new platforms. Hopefully after the break we will have a new and improved blogging system to keep you up to date with all the interesting things happening in Kindy!!

A quick reminder to check in occasionally with your child's e-portfolio. There are new learning stories being added constantly.

Over the past few weeks, the Kiddoes have been busy investigating some new learning centres in the room.

Water Bead Measuring..... (I can use words to compare two objects. SSK.1)

The Kiddoes are exploring capacity utilizing water beads. Water beads add a sensory element to the experience.

Exploring the concept of weight....

The Kiddoes were challenged to create equations utilizing a variety of different materials.

Zap....

This game continues to be a favourite. Children take turns pulling a card out of a container. If they are able to correctly identify the letter/sound, they can keep the card. However, if the pull out a ZAP card, they must place all their cards back into the container!!

I Can Create Words......

The Kiddoes are challenged to find letter tiles in the bean table and try to create any of our PWIM words on the board!

Life Size Marble Works.....

In our science curriculum, the Kiddoes are tasked with exploring the elements of force and friction. We started working with these concepts through the use of a marble works game. However, we soon decided it would be more exciting to try and make a life size marble works. I challenged the Kiddoes to see if they could figure out how to drop a marble from the roof down to the floor. At their disposal is: plumbing tubes, cardboard tubes, eaves trough, pool noodles, boxes, connectors and tape. It has been interesting watching the collaboration and experimentation over the past few weeks!!

Table Games...

There have also been a variety of table games with a spring theme.

All in all, it has been an exciting few weeks in Kindergarten!!

All year we have been learning social dances in our classroom. Not only are they fun, but they also teach important concepts around patterning and sequencing. The Kiddoes and I decided to share our journey learning The Butterfly Dance with you. We hope you enjoy watching us turn from beginners into expert butterfly dancers!!!

Ps... Please remember the following videos are of our first attempt! In a week or two we will have the foot stomping, hand clamping excitement taking hold!

A.M.

P.M.

Article posted March 25, 2014 at 05:04 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 135

Over the past few weeks, the Kiddoes and I have been discussing, comparing, building and describing 3-D objects. However, I was noticing many of the Kiddoes were experiencing difficulty with this concept. I decided to take a step back and begin an exploration of line in hopes it would help the Kiddoes begin to see the concept of shape in a different light.

We read a fascinating non-fiction book entitled, "What Is Line". In the book we discovered many different kinds of lines: straight, curved, wavy, zig zag, broken, thick, thin, long, short, vertical, horizontal, and diagonal. It wasn't long before the Kiddoes were finding examples of each kind of line in our classroom. We decided the next step was to explore creating lines ourselves.

After a serious discussion about using real artist's tools (we used India Ink for our exploration) the Kiddoes began to experiment with moving string in a variety of ways to create different kinds of lines. It was an amazing experience to watch the focus and zen like nature of the children in the room. It wasn't long before I overheard whispers, "I see a curved line" or "I have a thick dotted line". At the end of our exploration, I had the Kiddoes sit down and examine their artwork. I asked them to find examples of each kind of line. They were amazed to find they all existed within their work.

We extended our learning today by exploring our school to see if we could find examples of lines in the building. The Kiddoes set off in groups tasked with finding 5-8 examples of a specific line assigned to their group. They needed to photograph their findings. Yet again, I was floored by the respect and responsibility the Kiddoes show to one another and the tasks in which they were assigned. They spent 30 minutes wandering the halls immersed in conversation and learning. Once their task was finished they headed back to the room and were able to share their findings.

Tomorrow, we are going to learn a new app called "Skitch" enabling us to annotate our pictures. Once finished, we are going to create a slideshow of our findings. Stay tuned to see our final creation. However, if you would like a sneak peak, take a look below!!

PM

AM

Article posted March 25, 2014 at 04:32 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 117

The Kiddoes and I have gotten a little bit bored recently with our daily routine, so... we decided to change it up a bit. One of the Kiddoes suggested we learn how to sing the "Days of the Week" in a different language. "Sure", I answered, but quickly challenged them to figure out a way we could accomplish this task. "Ask an expert", was suggested. "Perfect idea", I claimed. Off we went in search of our Fench Itinerant, Mdm. Jasper.  Mdm. Jasper welcomed us into her room and was delighted to teach us the days of the week in French.

(sorry how dark this photo is....)

Armed with this new information we headed back to our room and created a new chart entitled, "Les Jours De La Semaine"

It has been difficult trying to learn these new words, but I am proud of the Kiddoes as they keep trying their best!!

Article posted March 18, 2014 at 04:11 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 116

Last week we were very fortunate to attend a fieldtrip to Wascana Marsh. The weather was absolutely fabulous. When we boarded the bus at school, we were all very excited! Once we arrived at the Marsh, Doug (our outdoor ed consultant) challenged us to be like rabbits and go exploring off the path. We all jumped at the chance before realizing how deep the snow was going to be (waist deep at times for me!). I was impressed as the Kiddoes adapted strategies (i.e. crawling) for moving over the snow. Doug taught us many interesting facts about spruce trees, wild plants, animal scat and animal/bird habitats. The highlight of the day was getting to visit the Water Fowl Sanctuary. Once inside the sanctuary, Doug taught us about the birds the sanctuary housed over the winter. We learned information about pelicans, geese, swans, and ducks. The best part of the sanctuary was watching Doug throw a fish into the pelican enclosure and seeing how the pelican was able to swallow it whole. We were excited that such amazing birds lived in our city. Take a look at the videos below to see our exciting adventure.

AM

PM

Article posted March 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 118

It was an exciting day in Kindergarten. Last Friday we left our Leprechaun traps out in hopes to catch a wee little man. When we arrived at school today, we were shocked to see green footprints all over the room. The Kiddoes had a great time trying to figure out how the leprechaun made it into our room. The consensus was he came through the window. We searched all the traps, but unfortunately the cagey little man out did us all. He even played some tricks in our room and in the school. After hunting through the school, we came back to the room to find a note from the Leprechaun. It told us to stir his treat while saying, "Shamrock". Much to our delight, the treat he left us turned from white to green before our eyes. Even though we were a bit upset not to catch a Leprechaun, we were pretty happy with our efforts and the treat. It wasn't long before the conversation turned to how we could make better traps next year!!! Take a look at the videos below to see a glimpse into our day! (Sorry about the darkness of the photos)

AM

PM

Article posted March 14, 2014 at 12:21 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 130

Please check your child's Friday Folder for an important note for our trip tomorrow. All students MUST HAVE: ski pants, jacket, toque, mittens, boots. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Cheers