WARNING: CONTAINS HISTORY ESSAY THAT MAY BE TEDIOUS AND RUIN YOUR EYESIGHT. DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU. 8l

P.S. this is a history project essay. ARCHITCTURE. killed my mind, baincells, and fingers typing this.

Cindy Pham and Tyler Loung

315

Architecture Essay

Greek Temple

Among the Greeks, one of the best achievements they have done is creating beautiful tall buildings with graceful columns. Their building consisted of circular columns of all sorts of styles. Of course, all columns still remain the same. As a basic, each column was to be in shape of a circular prism. There are only 3 main types of columns. The Corinthian column is beautifully decorated with designs of leaves and flowers on the top. It was the latest to be developed amongst the rest, arriving at 4th cent. B.C. The Doric column is plain but still attractive in a way. It was also known to be the one that developed earliest of the columns at 7th century B.C. That leaves it with the only type of column left, the Ionic. The Ionic column is plain, but not as much as the Doric column. A notice is that on top, the mold of the Ionic column is more curly than the rest of the columns. It was recognized at 5th century B.C, in between the discoveries of the Corinthian order and Doric order.

This building is a temple dating back to probably around 900 B.C., when Greek architecture was beginning to form it’s unique shape. That is why the model has a so simple look. After all, even the extraordinary columns weren't specially made until the Doric column appeared in 7th cent. B.C. Nor did the frieze, metopes, or pediments was recognized at the time. The concept was simple, a triangular roof, walls, and simply, sticks for decoration. Though not shown in the model, inside the little temple should be a statue of a worshiped god. However, only the earliest remaining Greek building date back to 600 B.C.

This model was a temple. Of course, it is to be originally made to worship gods. As plain as old as it is, it’s significance is amazing and was to be extremely well cared for by the Greeks. Every temple had at least 1 statue of a god it was worshipping. To worship a god and sacrifice to it was vital matter. Every temple however was not devoted to multiple gods but only one. Therefore, that was the reason why there were so many temples throughout Greece. Not only that, every city seem to have a main god to worship along with a temple. 12 main gods you’d expect to see mainly worshiped is Zeus who is ruler of the sky and of all gods, Hera who is Zeus’s wife and goddess of family and marriage, Apollo who is Zeus’s son and god of the sun along with music and poetry, Aphrodite who is Zeus’s daughter and goddess of love, Hermes who is Zeus’s son who is messenger of the gods and god of travel, Poseidon who is Zeus’s brother and god of the sea, Hestia who is Zeus’s sister and goddess of hearth, Demeter who is Zeus’s sister and goddess of agriculture, Ares who is son of Zeus and god of war, Athena who is Zeus’s daughter and goddess of wisdom and war, Artemis who is daughter of Zeus and goddess of the moon and hunt, and Hephaestus who is Zeus’s son and god of metalworkers.

Architecture is important to me because its where you can create various things so beautifully and skillfully, especially if it was man made, showing the efforts of what one or a team can do. It makes us proud and it makes others amazed at the item developed and happy if done for someone for a certain reason and purpose. The past in like a walk through an eerie door. Though not accurate, just seeing how close to accurate is what makes it feel so amazing with so many limits that they have that we don’t have now after so many evolutions. The buildings were built for various reasons because people wanted they buildings there. I find interest in such building because its a place for occupation, safety, and home. Not only that, it was a temple model that was build to worship the many gods they believed in that protected them and their land. This was very important to them, devoting themselves to their god.

P.S. this is a history project essay. artifacts. killed my mind, baincells, and fingers typing this.

Cindy Pham & Tyler Luong

315

Artifact Project

Gold Olympics Wreath

The ancient Greek Olympics was a fun sort of entertainment in the past, where as men (for women weren’t allowed in the Olympics) battled out with each other to test their athletic abilities. Many courses were held, some examples are boxing, running, wrestling, jump, chariot racing, and more. There were fewer courses in the past compared to the modern day Olympics.  However, the Olympics weren’t just a way to get rid of boredom, there was rather a bigger meaning behind that. The Olympics were also another way to gather interested people together in order to keep the islands from being isolated. Not only that, it was also a way for people to keep healthy. Volunteers may also just want to show their pride, test their abilities, or go against rivals. The possibilities for the Olympics are endless. However, a huge lure to the Olympics is to get the honor of having the Olympics wreath. Originally, the wreath was made of olive branches. The games were always held at Olympia, and only those who could speak Greek could compete compared to our modern day Olympics. However, as the Olympics started taking places in different locations, different plants were used, such as laurel and balissic. More ever, ideas started to grow. Soon, the idea of gold wreaths with delicate gold leaves kicked in. And so, the Olympics were evolving.

Olympic wreaths were used from the beginning of the Olympics, as long as the Olympics have been there, the wreaths were used dating back to 776 B.C. It worked for a while until 349 A.D. That was when Rome defeated Greece. The Olympics did come back during 1896. When it did revive however, the wreaths were sadly no longer used for it was too old.

It has a huge significance. To be honest, no a lot of people knew what the Olympics was really for, since there are so many myths. In one example, the Olympics were basically a celebration on the god Zeus defeating his own father, a god, Cronus for the control of the world, so it was pretty big. Another example may be when Pelops won a chariot race against the King Oenomaus in order to marry the king’s daughter, Hippodamia. Then, Pelops established the games. Not to mention, the whole wreath idea was based on the Greek gods who wore their wreaths in significance. Some wreaths did not have a complete circle, one side would be left open those most would be a complete circle. The Olympic wreath was a sign of strength, honor, and pride. It was a prize for those who worked hard and participated, for those who are talented, and mostly, for those who won. The Olympics were not just some simple matter, it was dealt with seriously, having men stripped of their clothes so cheating was absolutely forbidden. An oath had to given that no sin should be presented in the event and will uphold the strict training. Breaking the rules would have a punishment: be fined by the judges. Even leaving for cowardice would you have to be fined heavily. The money would be used to build statues of Zeus, often the patron of the Olympics. Training is strict, the Greeks believed that developing the body was equally important as improving the mind for overall health. Trainers payed extreme close attention to the lessons. Athletic games were an important part for religious festivals in ancient Greek culture. This was an extremely important item to be presented in the Olympics. To have such an item is an honor.

The artifact was quite an interest to me. In fact, I found it quite intriguing despite the fact i have no good athletic abilities besides martial arts nor do i have an athletic body. A small little item, that had a big impact on Greece. So many sacrifice for this item, a wreath to put on you own head. Though simple and plain, to me, i find the structure, idea, and looks rather striking. The idea of it is much of a mystery over the thousands of years. Many beliefs do remain from the firsts of the Olympics. There aren’t lots of proof for these mysteries nor do we no a lot of what the Greeks think/believe and know about these Olympics. Our evidences/inferences/conclusions can only be found behind hidden records, myths, and artwork (on pottery and of all sorts). However these ideas are left behind present day by people who don’t look at the past anymore, for that we look more forward towards the new sort of things. Even so, it’s hard to say which idea/belief to believe or not since no actual direct evidence have been reported. I would still even love to pursue the history of the Olympics, but the information given is limited, nor do we have any new news of these discoveries. I would ask the most simplest of the rather puzzling questions to me yet at the same time cannot or wasn’t revealed. Like did they wear the Olympics wreath often, put on display, or hoarded in what was thought the safest corners. The faintest of the ideas are still left behind, even now, the sign of pride shown through a simple wreath, not man made with the actual things but embedded on medals, though most would not even notice. Our history, even the littlest of the sort, still trails alongside us everyday though we people may not be conscious of it. I am happy and grateful for that, even for such a small matter. One thing can make a difference.

New Years finally here! And i totally forgot about judgment day...WE'RE ALIVE (not to mention, i failed. The day before New Years was what i thought New Years so...epic fail, once again.)! So...not the time to be thinking of tragic stuff. Once again, i need to create new goals for another new year in my life, since i'm such a lazy butt.

-cough-lazy-cough- Me, I plan to have more fun during the upcoming year. Hard to say but i'm at the point of losing my friends and is at the brink of being forever alone. Day on, i'll be nicer to my friends and look forward to make more friends (friend me visitors?). It's rather hard to believe my rough personality but i'm quite shy, which ONCE AGAIN will make my life hard. I'm preparing to be more bright, bold, and releasing alot more of my true colors. I'm like a solid melting to a liquid at the moment, i can't really loosen my self and i'm losing at the same thing again. I NEED TO BE MORE HONEST TO PEOPLE. Seriously, I have to much of a burden to carry alone and i'm afraid to ask people. I am also as well clumsly, just to add the pressure to responibility. And for once more, i want to make a public performance, somehow i want to be in the spolight, i love these kind of stuff.

Well thats it, and i hope you suceed your New Year resolutions as well! Ciao!

Things to know about myself, but noooo personal information !

NUMBER 1!!! I like...(easy to say) to go on tinierme, tinierme, tinierme!...not that you should like it...

HOWEVERRRRRRR, i like singing, dancing, playing around, drawing, creative writing, and acting.

NUMBER 2!!! I recommend when things are tough, just forgive and leave it to the rythm~ "to forgive is to release a prisoner and learn that prisoner is you," thaaaaaats right.

NUMBER 3!!! My favorite band is the korean band SHINee...DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT OVER THE INTERNET. NO SHAME.

NUMBER 4!!! Ryan Higa is awesome. Its not what i think. It. is. a. FACT. YOU. GOT. THAT. I. AM. ABUSING. MYSELF. WITH. PERIODS. Backkkk to the point. Ryan Higa is awesome. He got that Something We Asians Got. SWAG. He is hilarious. I can't help but laugh...until i get hurt...wince...

NUMBER 5!!! If i had a million dollars, i would...IT WOULD MAKE SENSE TO DO WHATEVER YOU CAN. Because i don't know...it hasn't come true yet. I'll need to wait for the check to come in full.

NUMBER 6!!! The best thing ever made was LIFE. After all, Life created EVERYTHING. REALITY HURTS...

NUMBER 7!!! I wish i could become a singer. I'm pretty decent.

NUMBER 8!!! If could change something about the world is misunderstandings. Believe me, the world is messed up most of the time because of misunderstandings.

NUMBER 9!!! I hope for lots of things. Hope for a future. Maybe more. Don't you?

NUMBER 10!!! I am a good friend because, well i would say because i can accept and understand most situations, im able to help people out through the bad rimes.