Area

http://imgur.com/AdPT6" target="_blank">http://imgur.com/AdPT6">

http://glowtxt.com/get-font-image.php?result=toobigtolink&ref=data1/0/9/c/09c5bc181c09312353bbfdf2c68682bc1667d13dda39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0

Our Greek architecture project is a Greek meeting house. It has 4 columns in the front and 4 columns in the back. Also, there are no columns on the sides. This meeting place was located in the Athenian area. This meeting house is a place for all thee people with right to come to the house and describe what is going on and what people have to say to improve the city-state. Also people can come together to complain about topics about the government and different laws. That is all about a meeting house.

The architecture is important to us because we thought it was astounded to see this certain building and how it was used during the time of the Athens. The reason why they appreciate this certain Greek architecture is because without this meeting house we couldn’t have complained of things that have a huge deed of being complained about. An example is that if a person steals something such as pottery or clothing, the people will complain about it at the meeting house. That is why we very much appreciate the Athenian meeting house.

The reason why we chose this building to do our project is because we really like the structure of the meeting house. Also, another reason why we chose to do the meeting house for our project is because the meeting house made peoples lives are lived better.

The type of columns this meeting house has is called the “Doric” column. Also, the only color on this project is a textured paint of white. Placed inside of this meeting house is nothing. This meeting house will usually be placed right in the middle of the village. Therefore, this meeting house won’t be so hard to get to. Usually the agora will be at the top of the village if the village is in a hill shaped form. Also, something about this place is that slaves weren’t allowed to be in this meeting house a lot. The only times they will be in the meeting house is if there is a village meeting. Also, people think that the meeting house has more significance than a church. Approximately, 200 people had attended at least most of the services held at the meeting house. The Greece Athens Mission was created July 1, 1990 , from a division of the Austria Vienna East Mission. Three branches — Halandri, Ilisia and Piraeus — meet in the new meetinghouse. There also was a fourth branch, Thessalonica, but usually did not attend to meet the other three branches in the meeting house. That is the history of the Greek meeting house.

Overall, our project of a display of a Greek architecture is based on the building called the meeting house. Our meeting house is a texture paint of white. Its columns are the type of columns called the “Doric” columns. That was our project of a meeting house based on a display of Greek architecture.

Get Adobe Flash player

Murray, John-McCarrick, Matthew

315

Armor

Armor was an important protective measure for the Spartans during battle. But one piece of armor that was mainly important was the helmet. The Spartans wore helmets to protect themselves against blows to the head. The head was one spot that if you got a good shot in the person could die right away, that’s why the Spartans started wearing the helmets.

The artifact was mainly used in the 6th to 4th century BC. This was the time period that the Spartans reigned. The Spartans were the main army of the Sparta which meant that they had a lot of battles and which also meant their helmets got a lot of use in those battles. The Spartans armor was much similar to their other Greek neighbors but the Spartans had distinctive symbols and other things on their armor to tell them apart from others. On the helmet was a transverse horsehair crest. This was thought to be to tell the rankings of the soldiers but there is no evidence to prove that.

The Spartan helmet was very valuable though. The helmet is made of Bronze. The thickness was about 1/16 of an inch and it had protection for the whole entire face. Although it had a lot of protection, it restricted hearing and sigh which are two things that you need to have on a battle field so you can see everyone and what they’re doing and you can hear the commands and hear if someone was coming up behind you. That was a negative of the Spartan helmet.

Not only did the Spartan helmet protect you, but it showed the rankings of the soldiers. The crest on the top of the helmet was thought not only to show a rank but to frighten the opposing force. Most kings and commanders wore more distinctive crests so that the 32 men they are in charge of knew where he was at all times. The commander called the shots so it was important that all the soldiers in the platoon could see and hear and always keep an eye out for the general.

This artifact is important to us because we love combat and all the equipment that goes along with it. We loved researching the Helmet and learning all about the Spartans symbols and what all the artwork on the helmet meant and looked like.

Murray, John-McCarrick, Matthew

315

Armor

Before researching the helmet and all the information that went along with it we didn’t know about the helmet at all. We researched all of the symbols and what the helmet was made out of and all the symbols about it and we now have a great understanding about what the helmet was used for and how it protected the soldiers from death most times.

The Spartan helmet was important in history because it was the start of a new trend. Before helmets people wore almost nothing to protect their heads and usually were killed from just a hit to the head with a club. In the 4th and 6th century BC the Spartans started to get into intense battles and they joined the trend and started using helmets. Not only did they use their helmets for protection but to show ranking and identify the person. The popular symbol on the Spartan helmet was a Lambda. It was the 11th letter in the Greek alphabet and means the value of 30.

It was very cool to be able to see how helmets have progressed throughout time. Back in the Spartans reign helmets were very heavy and restricted you from doing a lot of things. Now most helmets are light weight and allow you to do many things but don’t have nearly as much protection as the Spartan helmet.

Overall, helmets were very important for the Spartans and gave a lot more protection. We loved making this project and again had fun being able to replicate a Spartan helmet and be able to research it.

The tradition of making a new years resolution started back in 62 bc during the time of Julius Caesar. Today people believe that if you touch the Janus head as you cross the bridge good fortune. A new years resolution is so that you'll be good or nice to others over the years that has changed. People now do new years resolutions to change bad habits or other bad things.

This year my new years resolution at home would to be CLEAN MY ROOM. This hasn't happened in a few years. My resolution at school would be to get A's in English and in Math. My personal resolution would be to make it to a really good school next year.