Honzik, Alexis Curran, Julia

Room 315

Tholos at Athens

The structure we chose to make was the Tholos at Athens. There were many different types, but we chose this one because we have been learning about Athens and the structure seemed interesting. The Tholos was constructed around 470 BC and it existed for 800 years, until the fourteenth century. During those 800 years, the structure was never altered. The Tholos was associated with other buildings and they formed the administrative of the Athens. The Tholos was located in the agora and people jokingly called it the sun hat.

The Tholos was the meeting of the prytaneis who formed the Boule, and they were the people who made the laws of ancient Athens. The Boule contained 50 members from all the Athenian tribes. These 50 Athenians served for 1/10 of the year, and this was about 35 or 36 days. The members schedule made it clear that someone would always be present in the Tholos. This also made the Tholos act as a dining and sleeping area for those that had the night shift.

The Tholos consisted of columns, which were used for support and small decoration. The columns were known as Doric Columns. In the ancient times there were three main columns, which were used in most structures.  The most fancy of the three was the Corinthian column. This column was the most decorative and had many designs such as flowers or leaves and was the most detailed. Next, there was the Ionic column, which was a little less decorative, but still detailed. The last column was the Doric Column. It is the simplest of the three. This column had a capital, which was the top. It was made of a circle topped by a square. The shaft was the tall part of the column and had twenty sides. In the Doric column there was no base. The area above the column, the frieze, had plain designs, and was basically a band of design around the structure.

The Tholos was important to us and very significant, because it is where all the laws were made by the Athenian people. It was like a modern city hall and that is where are laws are made today for our city. It is also important to us because we admire the structure and we wish to build something like this when we are older. The Tholos is significant in history, because the pyrtaneis  met there to make laws and without a meeting spot their would be no laws. We learned from the Athenian laws and without a meeting spot, there would be no laws to learn from.

Honzik, Alexis Curran, Julia

Room 315

Tholos at Athens

Honzik, Alexis Curran, Julia

Room 315

Tholos at Athens

The Tholos was important to us and very significant, because it is where all the laws were made by the Athenian people. It was like a modern city hall and that is where are laws are made today for our city. It is also important to us because we admire the structure and we wish to build something like this when we are older. The Tholos is significant in history, because the pyrtaneis 

Article posted March 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM • comment • Reads 55 • see all articles