Copyright (c) 2014 by AAJ Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
AAJ -- Blogmeister

-

by AAJ teacher: Mrs. B - Grade 5 (2013-2014)

Title: 3A - Continent Paragraphs (01/25/12)

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:56 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 138

Poles and Oceans

Did you know that not a lot of people visit Antarctica because the temperature can reach -128.6° Celsius? People visit to learn about Antarctica. Lichens are a type of plant that grows in Antarctica.  Some animals that live there are penguins, polar bears, and elephant seals. The bodies of water that border Antarctica are the Southern and Arctic Oceans. The land forms are the American High Land and Victoria High Land.  Antarctica is the second biggest continent. If people tried to live in Antarctica they would freeze from the cold. But in order for them to sacrifice they would have to be really worm. 

Sources

Foster, Karen.  Atlas of the Poles and Oceans 2008.

Foster, Leila. Antarctica 2001.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:53 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 100

Poles and Oceans

Did you know that the temperature in Antarctica reached -128.6°C?! People have not visited Antarctica a lot because it is very cold. Scientists come almost every year to do research because they like to learn. They have seen glaciers and lichen. They have also seen animals like penguins, polar bears and elephant seals. Some of those animals swim. They swim in the Southern Ocean, near Antarctica, and an ocean called the Arctic Ocean, near the North Pole. The Arctic Ocean is kind of small and the Southern Ocean too. They are very far apart. The two biggest land forms in Antarctica are the American Highland and Victoria Land. If you would live in Antarctica, it would be a lot of work to survive and live comfortably. You could get stuck in an ice berg.  You would have to wear a lot of warm coats, long sleeve shirts, snow boots, and snow pants. You would even have to build an igloo! If you wanted food to eat, you would have to go fishing. Most of the day, it would be dark because the sun is very low and the poles are at the top and bottom of the Earth. They do not get much sunlight in the winter. You would be sleeping a lot.

Sources

Foster, Leila. Antarctica. 2001.

Foster, Karen. Poles and Oceans. 2008

Country Reports

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 66

South America

Did you know that there are 13 countries in South America? Some of those countries are Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, Peru, Venezuela, Colombia, Bolivia, and Ecuador. Those are just 10 countries. The weather in 1 half of South America is cold and the other half it is warm. There are 2 oceans surrounding South America. The 2 oceans are the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean. There are more than 360 million people in South America. Chewing gum and chocolate are made from trees in South America. Many animals live in South America. South America has more than 6,880,500 square miles.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:56 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 109

Asia

Asia is the largest continent on Earth. There are 48 countries in Asia. Part of Asia is over the equator and a part of it is under the equator. It has more than 100 animals. There are the tundra, tigers, snow leopards, giant pandas and lots of other animals. It has more than 100,000 people. Africa, Europe and Australia are around it. Europe is stuck to Asia. The Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean and the Arctic Ocean are next to Asia. It is cold, wet, hot and dry.

Bibliography  

1-Fairfield,Sheila.Asia.1988.

2-Drevitch,Gary.Asia.2009.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 74

Africa

People are very poor. They do not have money. Some people hunt and some people in the rain forests of Africa, they cut down the trees. They cook. Some Africans live in different cities. Others live in small villages. Europe and Asia are next to Africa. In some parts of Africa, it is very hot. Africa is the world’s second largest continent. Some African animals are going extinct, and others are dying a lot, but nobody is saving them. So how can they survive? Plants are dying too. They need somebody to help them. Some children are lost and don’t have mothers or fathers so maybe when we grow up we will travel to Africa and help the children and their mothers and take care of them until we find them a home.

Bibliography

Foster, Karen. Atlas of Africa. 2008.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:54 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 79

Africa

In Africa, the weather is warm or hot, but in the mountains it’s cold.  Deserts usually get 10 to 20 inches of rain in a year.  In Africa, some plants have roots that are more than 130 feet long.  The rain forests have a great variety of plant life because they get plenty of water.  In Africa, there are many different types of land forms.  Some animals that live in Africa are giraffes, lions, snakes, camels, rhinoceroses, gorillas, cheetahs and zebras.  The population of Africa is 875 million people and there is a lot of water surrounding Africa. The two bodies of water that surround Africa are, Atlantic Ocean and Indian Ocean.

Sources

Foster, ,Karen.  Atlas of Africa.  2008.

Underwood, Deborah.  Exploring continents Africa.  2007.

Aspe, Baxter, Linds.  Continents Africa.  2006. 

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 75

Australia

Fox Mary Australia Australia is close to the Indian and Pacific Oceans.  Australia has more than two million people. Australia earned the nickname “the land down under”.  Australia is the smallest and flattest continent. Australia is a very large island south of Asia.  Australia is also a country that takes up the whole continent.  Major land forms in Australia are the Great Diving Mountains and Tasmania Desert.  Australia can be divided into three sections: the Western the Central Lowland, and the Eastern Highlands.

Bibliography

Foster Karen. Atlas of Australia. 2008.

.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:52 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 77

North America

In North America, the southwestern part of the United States and parts of Mexico get little rain. Only a few plants grow. Cactuses grow in the Sonoran Desert. North America has many kinds of weather. In the south, closer to the equator, the weather is very warm and much rain falls. Canada has the best water ever. There are more than 500 million people living in North America. North America has many large rivers and lakes. Canada has more lakes and inland water than any other country in the world.

Bibliography 

Foster, Karen. Atlas of North America. 2008.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 130

Australia

Australia is a continent that is surrounded by the Pacific and Indian Oceans.   Australia is also surrounded by several seas.  The only sea that I know is the Tasman Sea.  A long time ago, Australia was attached to some other continents.  I’m not sure what continents it was stuck to, but all that I know, is that Australia is the smallest continent out of all continents. 

In Australia, the population is over 20,500,000 people!   The first people on the Australian mainland were the Aborigines.  I have no idea what other ancient people were washed up onto the Australian mainland.  I only know that Aborigines used to live in different tribes. 

In Australia, there are major landforms for example:  The Great Dividing Mountains and the Tanami Desert.  The Dividing Mountains are on the western coast of Australia.  The Tanami Desert is in the mid-point of Australia.  The mid-point of Australia is the hottest region on the whole continent.

The climate in Australia can go up to about 53 degrees Celsius during the summer.   It can go down to about -2 degrees Celsius during the winter.  In Australia, it is dry almost all year long! During the tropical season, the weather is usually a little wet although it is still contains very dry lands.

Australia also contains many unique animals like the koala, kangaroo, and the possum.   The Australians use wild pumpkin, wild and safe berries, mint, and other green shoots that grow in some of the green forests to help them to survive.  Aboriginal citizens used to use these ingredients to make damper bread.  Two of Australia’s most famous cities are Canberra, Sydney.

Sources

Foster, Karen.  Atlas of Australia 2008

Fox, Mary. Australia 2001

Continent: Australia

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:53 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 70

Europe

Europe is famous for cheese and chocolate. It has 47 languages like French, Swiss, and Spanish and many more.  Some animals found in Europe are golden eagles, deer, wolverine, foxes and normal eagles. The highest mountain in Europe is Mount Elbrus. Europe covers 233,089 square miles.  Some of Europe’s landforms are plateaus, ranges, Ural Mountains and Alps. One of the most famous plants in Europe is the tulip. The Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea are two bodies of water surrounding Europe. The population of Europe is about 500 million people.  Europe is very crowded and popular.                                    

Sources

Foster, Karen. Atlas of Europe. 2008

!

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:54 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 76

ASIA

Asia is the most populated continent in the world! Asia has 3.6 billion people, more than 60% of all the people on Earth. Asia has a lot of animals, some are: bactrian camels, giant pandas, Asian elephant, palls cats, water buffalo, and flying lizards. It also has snow leopards, red crowned cranes, tibetan yaks, komodo dragons, orangutans, and sumatran rhinoceroses. Asia borders 4 oceans. They are the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean and Arctic Ocean. Mount Everest is the tallest mountain in Asia, and the world! It is 29,035 feet (8,856 meters) tall. Other landforms in Asia are the Chocolate hills, and the Rings of Fire. The lowest point in Asia is Pendi, China at 505 feet (154 meters) below sea level. Asia has a lot of plants. Some are: the dove tree, the cherry tree, bamboo, rhododendron, rafflesia, the rubber tree, richird, and the pitcher plant. The “Monsoons” are strong winds that blow off the Indian Ocean and the south Chinese sea. Lebanon is in Asia, it is one of the smallest countries in the world! The traditional dance of Lebanon is called the dabke. The symbol of Lebanon is the Cedar tree or “Arz” tree. Russia is another country in Asia. It one of the largest countries in the world!

Source

Law, Felicia. Atlas of Far East and Southeast Asia. 2008

Dahl, Michel. Countries of the world China.1998

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:51 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 82

Europe

Europe has the third largest population of all of the continents. Did you know Europe is famous for cheese? Europe has many different climates. Europe has many different animals like deer, ibex, gray wolves, wild boars, reindeer, and bears.  It also has three different main landforms like the Alps, Plateaus, and Plains. Europe is famous for tulips. Europe has canals or rivers in some of the cities. The oceans surrounding Europe is called the Atlantic Ocean and the Arctic Ocean. These are three countries in Europe; France, Switzerland, and Holland.   

Sources

Davis, Kevin. Look what came from Netherland. 2002.

Sandra Newman. Europe. 2009.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 71

Africa

Africa is very, very, very hot because it is on the equator. In most jungles, it is very moist and humid.  The Nile River is in Africa. Most people live their daily lives raising cattle, so the people have to move lot to survive. Some animals in Africa are elephants, zebras, giraffes, rhinos and lions, they all live in the Savanna where it is very hot.  Many animals in Africa die during the summer because it is extremely hot.

Bibliography Foster, Karen ATLS of Africa, 2008

Harvey, Miles, Africa, 2002

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:57 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 72

Asia

Did you know that more than 1.9 billion people live in Asia? Actually, 4 billion people live there total. There are many kinds of plants in Asia.  Some are: tulips, pine trees, coffee bushes, date palms, powder puffs, cedar trees, Indian ictus, and last but not least cushion plants.  There is a sea called the Black sea.  Places near it are mostly dry and have mild climate. There is also the Arctic, Indian, and Pacific Oceans that border Asia. A lot of Asia is green from the forests. One place in Asia is very, very high. It is called Mount Everest! It is 8,856 meters tall, and it is in Nepal, and China. Nepal is very cold. Turkey has some of the best beaches and hotels in the world. Lebanon is one of the smallest countries in Asia.   Some animals found in Asia are, cobras, brown bears, Siberian tigers, Asian elephants, gaur, yaks, and Arabian camels.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:56 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 77

Australia

Australia is the smallest and flattest continent. Australia is also a country that `takes up the whole continent. Major land forms of Australia include the Great Dividing Mountains and the Tanami Desert. There are two mountain ranges in Australia.  The Great Dividing mountain range is on the east coast of Australia.  The highest mountain in Australia is Mount Kosciusko. More than 2,500 people live in Australia.  Australia borders the Pacific and Indian Oceans.

Bibliography

Foster, Karen. Atlas of Australia.  2008.

Fox Mary Australia 2001

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:56 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 73

South America

The Amazon Rainforest is in South America. It is the biggest rain forest in the world. It has many species of animals. In summer, it is very hot in South America because it is close to the equator. The Amazon River is the world’s second longest river. The land of South America takes many shapes from tall mountains to deep canyons. South America has a large number of poor people. There are 13 countries in South America. South America is the fourth largest continent in the world. South America is surrounded by the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean.

Sources

Foster, Karen. Atlas of South America 2008.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:58 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 113

Europe

Europe has many landforms including plateau highlands, and plains.  Europe has animals like golden eagles, gray wolves, and reindeer. Europe has many tulips.  Sometimes in the winter the temperature is 8°C (46°F) and in the summer the temperature is 23°C (73°F). Some countries in Europe are Spain, Netherlands, and Switzerland.

Bibliography

Deady, Kathleen Spain 2001

Faster , Leila  Europe 2001

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 113

Poles and Oceans

The population of Antarctica is zero, but scientists and visitors go there. Although visitors only go in summer, scientists go all year round. They even go in winter! But only if they want to (I wouldn’t.)  Antarctica is bordered by the Indian Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, and other oceans. Nobody has ever swam in the water that surrounds Antarctica because it’s freezing. Animals can swim in the water though.  The animals that can survive in Antarctica are: polar bears, penguins, and walruses.  The thing that is the same between all the animals that can survive is they all swim and eat fish.  Some of the animals, like penguins, eat plants like lichens. Lichens are one of the only plants that can survive.

Bibliography:

.Foster, Karen. Atlas of the poles and oceans.2008.

.Foster, Leila. Antarctica. 2001.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:58 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 175

South America

In South America there are 13 countries. The Pacific Ocean is west of South America and the Atlantic Ocean is east of South America. The weather is warm in South America. In South America there are more than 360 million people! There are animals that live in South America and do not live in other places like, anaconda, blue and yellow macaw, collared peccary, giant anteater, jaguar, magnificent frigate bird, manned wolf, and piranha. South America has more than 6,880,500 square miles (17,819,000 square km) of land. A lot of the world’s chewing gum and chocolate come from trees in South America.

Sources

Banting, Erinn, South America .2006.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 09:54 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 134

North America

North America is north of South America. The most important landforms of North America are the Smokey Mountains, mesas, the Grand Canyon and the Rocky Mountains. The bodies of water around North America are the Arctic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean. More than 500 million people live in North America. It is a bit crowded and a bit noisy. The weather in North America is mostly cold because it’s next to the Arctic Circle. North America is a bit cold in the summer. Some countries that are in North America are Canada, Jamaica, United States and Mexico. Some of the animals that are in North America are coyotes, geese, beavers, pumas, bald eagles, prairie dogs, monarch butterflies, bears, moose and American alligators. Some of the plants that are in North America are very pretty pine trees, mesquite and saguaro cactuses, cranberry bushes, and red wood trees. There are also many other bushes, trees and grasses. North America has wonderful plants and animals because it is kind of a wonderful continent.

Bibliography

Foster Karen. Atlas of North America. 2008.