-

by teacher: Karen Gutsmiedl

Bullying is when a person is harmed by another person on purpose. Bullying can be through physical bullying, mentally bullying, or cyber bullying.

I've heard of students being bullied through the internet (such as a hurtful e-mail) and through physical contact (example: slamming someone against a wall).

If a person is being bullied, they should either get help from a teacher they trust or their parents, tell a close friend so they can stand up for them, or try to ignore the bully.

To put a stop to bullying, I could try to side with the victim if I witnessed bullying or put up posters to encourage people to stop bullying.

I'm currently reading The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner. It has quite a bit of science fiction in the plot. This book kind of reminds me of the 39 Clues series because a man named Master George gives clues to the "Realitants," which are people that he chose to help him. There are four Realitants in all. I think that The Hunt for Dark Infinity has an unusual plot. One of the characters has a special ability. The science fiction books I've read before didn't have a character with a special power.

I don't like science fiction that much, but this book is an exception. It's an amazing book! I would recommend it to anyone who loves science fiction and a little fantasy. As I mentioned before, one of the characters called Tick has a special ability. In the book, no one has ever heard of his power. Tick is frightened by this strange power and is reluctant to attempt to use it again. If I was Tick, I would use my ability to the advantage for the good side during the necessary events.

This book relates to my life because the characters are portrayed with different personalities for each of them. One of them, a teenage boy known as Paul, is nice, but likes to act as if he is the coolest person on earth. It annoys me when I read about what he does, but it's also very funny. I can relate to The Hunt for Dark Infinity because some people in my life act similarly to Paul. Other than the characters representing people that I know, I can't relate to The Hunt for Dark Infinity.

I recently started reading The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore. I think the book's goig to be about Number Seven discovering Sam, Six, and John (Four). She's been looking for them and watching the news for more information. There could possibly even be another battle similar to the one in the first book. The Mogadorians and the police are going to be looking for John since the police think that he and his Cepan, Henri, are terrorists. On the other hand, the Mogadorians are searching for John because they have killed Numbers One through Three already and John is Number Four. I'm expecting an action-packed book and can't wait to see if John and Six develop anymore Legacies.

Article posted February 8, 2012 at 12:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 42

The Highwayman Poetic Devices:

Stanza 1: Imagery: "cloudy seas...purple moor"

Repetition: "Riding-riding-riding-"

Rhyme: "trees" and "seas"

Stanza 2: Imagery: "a French cocked-hat on his forehead, a bunch of lace at his chin"

Rhyme: "wrinkle" and "twinkle"

Repetition: "a-twinkle...a-twinkle"

Stanza 3: Assonance: "clattered and clashed...tapped"

Repetition: "daughter...daughter"

Rhyme: "inn-yard" and "barred"

Stanza 4: Rhyme: "creaked" and "peaked"

Repetition: "daughter...daughter"

Stanza 5: Rhyme: "to-night" and "light"

Repetition: "by moonlight...by moonlight...by moonlight"

Stanza 6: Rhyme: "hand" and "brand"

Personification: "he kissed its waves in the moonlight" (the perfume waves were able to be "kissed")

Stanza 7: Rhyme: "noon" and "moon"

Repetition: "marching-Marching-marching-"

Stanza 8: Rhyme: "instead' and "bed"

Stanza 9: Foreshadowing: "She head the dead man say-"

Rhyme: "jest" and "breast"

Stanza 10: Rhyme: "years" and "hers"

Repetition: "of midnight...of midnight"

Alliteration: "stretched and strained"

Stanza 11: Rhyme: "rest" and "breast"

Repetition: "in the moonlight...in the moonlight"

Stanza 12: Onomatopoeia: "Tlot-tlot; tlot-tlot!"

Rhyme: "clear" and "hear"

Repetition: "riding, Riding, riding!"

Stanza 13: Onomatopoeia: "Tlot-tlot!"

Rhyme: "night" and "light"

Stanza 14: Repetition: "daughter...daughter"

Stanza 15: Rhyme: "sky" and

high"

Repetition: "highway...highway"

Hyperbole: "With the white road smoking behind him"

Stanza 16: Repetition: Repeats a few phrases from Stanza 1

Rhyme: "moor" and "inn-door"

Stanza 17: Repetition: "daughter...daughter"

Rhyme: "there" and "hair"

I think that the quote "Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength" by Dalai Lama means that being kind and putting up with people doesn't show that you are weak. By tolerating other people and matters, you are showing that you have a strong mind. By being compassionate, you are showing that you can share someone else's sorrow and are able to put yourself in their shoes. I can apply this quote to our lives because many people donate money to help countries where there are diseases and a weak economy. They are compassionate and want to help the countries. Yes, this quote can be used to make a positive change in someone's attitude. It's very motivational and deep. Someone could become more compassionate and tolerating than before, as well as other things. The quote can make an impact on the world by helping people to understand that you should be kind, compassionate, and should tolerate.

Article posted January 3, 2012 at 01:51 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

The Road Not Taken

by Robert Frost:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Text to text: The Road Not Taken reminds me of various types of books. There is almost always a decision to be made in every story.

Text to self: I think that this poem is referring to making decisions and thinking carefully about them before you regret it later. You might not be able to backtrack on your decision after you make it. I can relate to The Road Not Taken since I make a lot of decisions everyday and will throughout my life.

Text to world: As I said before, I think the poem is talking about making decisions. Everyone makes tons of decisions. The Road Not Taken's global theme is most likely "Make your decisions wisely before you regret it later."

I think the Wikispaces Project was a great assignment! Although some of the Colorado students took longer to reply, it all went smoothly. It was a new and interesting experience for me to work with students in Colorado. Everyone in my group contributed equally and did their part. We all cooperated really well. However, I think that if our group had set times when we could all chat together on Wikispaces, then it would've been easier and quicker to make decisions. Another way we could improve our communication is to set up a video chat with our group. This project doesn't need any improvement. I really enjoyed working with Mrs. Lubich's class; it was an amazing experience!

Article posted December 10, 2011 at 12:16 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

Poets use literary terms as a "tool" for creating their desired effect in their poems. For example, they use similes, metaphors, satires, and others. Their writing style is also part of what creates the effect in their poems such as how they write their pieces. Some poets want to describe their emotions. They express their feelings clearly by writing and readers can relate to the poems.

Article posted December 3, 2011 at 02:53 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

I have to say that the best book I read this year was The Wizard Heir by Cinda Williams Chima. I really didn't like one of the characters because he was evil and kind of insane. All he wanted was power from his students. I could change cruel characters into polite people to make me think that they were actually nice. Sometimes, authors base their characters on real people that are involved in their lives. Although other times, once I get to know a character, it seems as if the character is similar to a person I know. The character's actions and the way they talk usually hints at the author's true personality.

Article posted November 25, 2011 at 05:53 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

I commented on Mrs. Lubich's blog article: "Books?".