-

by teacher: Karen Gutsmiedl
Bullying 03/08/12
02/28/12
The highway man 02/07/12
02/07/12
01/19/12
01/12/12
01/05/12

Article posted March 9, 2012 at 02:34 AM GMT • comment • Reads 78

Bullying is when a person is mean to you physically or mentally. They pick on you to make you feel bad about yourself and even make themselves feel better. A person can even bully you online, by posting untrue comments about you. That is called cyber bullying, but even thought it doesn't sound that bad, it can turn people aginst you and if you don't do something about it then it can get worse. If a person is being bullied, they need to tell someone, like an adult they can trust, about their situation and get it to stop. If I saw someone being bullied I would stand up for them or go get and adult.

Article posted February 29, 2012 at 02:28 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

So far I am reading "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld.

1) This book takes place in the future like many of the books I have read, but in this future they separate the ugly people and pretty people. Everyone must wait till they are old enough to become pretty through the surgery. Other books I have read that take place in the future are different, because they usually make the world corrupt in some sort of way.

2)So far I really like it. The future there is very different than today. All of the bridges there talk except one which is old and everyone one wears interface rings. They all wait to become pretty and when they are pretty, all they do is party the whole time. I enjoy the story it’s entertaining and has unexpected twist. I would recommend this book to people it is an interesting book and certainly different.

3) I do agree with the action so far in the book, but I did not like how tally's friend that is now pretty said they would be friends again after she became pretty in a few months.

4) There was one part of the book that I can relate to. When Tally was told that she could be friends again with her best friend she knew from when she was growing up, after she became pretty. It made me feel like when I was young and I was friends with these girls that were mean to me. But just like Tally I went off and found a better friend.

Article posted February 8, 2012 at 01:47 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

"ghostly gallon" is alliteration.

"cloudy seas" is personification.

"his face was white and peaked" is personification.

"his eyes were hollows of madness" is a metaphor.

"he tied her up to attention" is personification.

"though hell should bar the way" is personification.

"the hours crawled by like years" is a simile.

"stroke of midnight" is personification."

"barrel beneath her breast" is alliteration.

"riding, Riding, riding" is onomatopoeia

Article posted February 8, 2012 at 12:50 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Right now I just began to read the book "Uglies"

by Scott Westerfeld. So far the book takes place in the future. In the new future there are many advances, but one that really seemed to stand out was that there are two different cities where the story takes place: one full of pretty people and one full of ugly people. The main character, Tally, right now is one of the ugly people who will become pretty in months’ notice. She has decided to sneak into Pretty Town to see her old friend who is now one of the pretties. In the summary Tally ends up in a situation where her friend, Shay, doesn't think she wants to be a pretty and so she runs away. This puts Tally in a situation where she can either find her friend and turn her in or never be pretty. I think this book is going to be about the pretty inside a person and not out. I think it will challenge the characters. I don’t feel like Tally will be true to her friend and that it will be costly in the end.

Article posted January 20, 2012 at 02:00 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

I read "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyers. She discribed Edward as beautiful with tousled bronze hair and a velvet voice. I was disapointed when I saw the movie, because I pictured Edward a little different than they dicribed him

Article posted January 13, 2012 at 01:42 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

Leaving

by Robert Elliott

Open your arms to change, but please don’t lose yourself

You are what makes you who you are in sickness and in health

A friendly atmosphere has made you who you are to be

Your character is in charge and will control your destiny

You’ll go someplace you’ve never gone, you’ll make your mark again,

You will reset your standards, and sure will make new friends

As soon as today is yesterday your heart will always give

I hope you won’t regret today, cause your future longs to live

If our paths don’t cross again, I won’t forget this day

Cause I’m afraid of change, I’m scared to shift my ways

My eyes will see things they’ve never seen, but I’ve always been here

The time that counts your moments gone will teach me not to fear.

You’ll look upon your life and see familiar grounds

You’ll hear the call of memories and recognize the sound

All the lives you change will make stars disappear

And as you’re settled down, you’ll realize you’ve never left here.

Text to Text: This poem reminds me of numerous poems I have read( though I cannot remember which ones)

Text to Self: One time one of my friends moved away

Text to World: I think the poem is mostly about changes happen for a reason and you just have accept what is and sometimes let go even though it is hard

Article posted January 6, 2012 at 01:09 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

The project itself went ok in the end. It was nice to have no trouble in contacting each other. I didn’t really like working with a group from another state, because I knew they might not get the message as soon when I tell a person to their face or on the phone. I think the process went well and the information got in, but I don’t think we got enough pictures and the page didn’t come out as good as I imagined. I guess it was a little bit my fault because I thought I was going to have internet connection when I was on vacation the last few days of school, but I didn’t. There is nothing that I would change except me not being there the last few days so I could correct some things. Over all I think the communication and information went well and the video was going well the last time I saw it and that this project was something different to experience. To improve the assignment I guess that people could be more aware of doing their share, other than that I don’t know what advice I could give.