teacher: Karen Gutsmiedl

Bullying is a form of picking on someone in many bad ways. Usually a bully will tease, be mean, call names, and be physical with someone. When you are being bullied you can tell an adult and/or tell your friends to stand up for you. But let's be honest; sometimes you have to grow up and confront the bully, be a man basically. Tell him/her to stop in a serious tone. You can't look scared or nervous or else the bully can harness your fear and throw right back in your face. Talk loudly into their face in a serious tone and don't let up. I had a friend who did this and the guy has not picked on him since (it has been a few years since the incident). Unfortunately, we live in a society today where being nice and trying not to be serious will get us no where. Kids take word abuse seriously and it really hurts their feelings. I say just get over it, deal with it, be a man, and try to be as serious and civil as you can be. Now that is what I would do. I hate to be comparitive but, I a one of the most mature 13 year olds out there. I mean I'm an Eagle Scout. Things tend to rub off my shoulders easily. I know this method of dealing with a bully is not for everyone so, just tell an adult ask your friends to stand up for you, and grow up. Sorry if this was not what you were looking for. This is only my opinion.

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 01:45 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

Mrs. G, I did not find the "As You Begin" Blog anywhere. Please show me where it is. Besides this point I will compare and contrast two books. I am comparing "The Bellmaker" and "Pearls of Lutra". These books are very similar because, they are written by the same author. The author has a certain style of writing. He usually starts out the book with a "problem", that needs to be dealt with. This "problem" is in both books. Then heroes go on a quest to solve this problem. Usually someone dies and, the problem is solved. At the end of the book a lesson is usually given. I feel great about these books because, they continue a series and sometimes the books mention and even use some of the characters from previous books in the series. I love the ongoing plot these books have to offer. In most cases I agree with the actions of the characters because, their actions are needed at times of importance, such as solving a problem and going into battle. Some of the actions are things I wouldn't think of (in a good way) but, sometimes the actions of the characters are ridiculous. Although, some of the actions are ridiculous they help give you a good story. This book relates to my life because, sometimes actions I take are very similar to those of the characters. The characters must have split-second decision making and good leadership skills, like I do. I hope this answer qualifies well enough for me to pass this blog. Thanks for your cooperation.

Article posted February 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

When I went to Lafayette Shooters to buy a scope riser I could only buy the scope riser. I also wanted to buy a gun bag but I was short on cash, so my dad had bought me the gun bag and, to my suprise, he also had bought the scope riser.

Reponses to:

Sydney F.- Wow, I really like those friends who always have your back.

Hyaden B.- I remeber when my neighbor helped me build a ramp. I was only six so, I really didn't have woodwork skills. The ramp worked great and I had a fun time.

Jonah M.- Friends like that are great. Those types of people can really get through tough times.

Article posted January 28, 2012 at 03:43 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Repetition/Stanza one:Riding-riding-riding

Metaphor/ Stanza 4: His eyes were hollowes of madness

Repetition/Stanza 7: marching-Marching-marching

Simile/Stanza 10:the hours crawled by like years

Repetition/Stanza 12: riding-Riding-riding

Metaphor/Stanza 15: wine-red was his velvet coat

Otomotopia/ stanza 17: clatters and clangs

Thanks Mrs. G.

In the movie War Horse, I thought that the horse was going to be enlisted in the German army rather than go to a small french girl. The reason why I thought this was that the war horse was captured by the Germans. The German war camp helped me visualize the horse in the German army.

Article posted January 13, 2012 at 01:28 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

A Creed to Live By

Don't undermine your worth by comparing

yourself with others.

It is because we are different that each of us is special.

Don't set your goals by what other people

deem important.

Only you know what is best for you.

Don't take for granted the things closest to your heart.

Cling to them as you would your life, for without them

life is meaningless.

Don't let your life slip through your fingers

by living in the past or for the future.

By living your life one day at a time,

you live all the days of your life.

Don't give up when you still have something to give.

Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.

Don't be afraid to admit that you are less than perfect.

It is this fragile thread that binds us to each other.

Don't be afraid to encounter risks.

It is by taking chances that we learn how to be brave.

Don't shut love out of your life by saying it's impossible to find.

The quickest way to receive love is to give love.

The fastest way to lose love is to hold it too tightly;

and the best way to keep love is to give it wings.

Don't dismiss your dreams.

To be without dreams is to be without hope;

to be without hope is to be without purpose.

Don't run through life so fast that you forget

not only where you've been, but also where you're going.

Life is not a race, but a journey to be savored

each step of the way.

~ Nancye Sims ~

Text to Text: This poem reminds me of an audio book called The Lion. In this book a detective is trying to stop a terrorist from killing the detective’s partners, family, and the detective himself. The detective has to keep friends and family close. He also has to set goals for himself to arrest and contain the terrorist. He also has to get over many great boundaries and challenges.

Text to Self: This poem has helped me think back upon the many challenges and goals I have been able to get over, things such as obtaining Eagle Scout and being a straight A student. This poem has also reminded me to keep loved ones close because they can help you at many frustrating times.

Text to World: This poem has a great lesson to be learned: set challenging goals for you to get over. I think people need to learn this lesson because, it really helps motivate you to do something big.

The blog went somewhat well. I now know that working a group can be challenging and fun. The communication in the group was all right because, we answered one another but, it seemed that we wouldn’t answer each other’s discussion immediately. I think we could have put maybe one more poem on the wiki and not delete another one’s work. Next time I think Mrs. G. and Mrs. Lubich should explain the directions thoroughly. Thanks!

Article posted December 16, 2011 at 03:42 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

Tools a poet:

1 rhyme scheme

2 alliteration

3 similies

4 metaphors

5 sarcasm

Article posted December 9, 2011 at 02:06 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

My favorite book I read this year has to be The Bellmaker. There isn't really a character I despise, detest, or hate because, every character has their place in the story. Well if there was some trait to change about a character it would have to be Foremole. He can't speak that well and so it is hard to understand him. This particular character does bring someone from real life into mind. A man in our OA lodge has a stutter but, he has a great personality like Foremole. Any character in this book probably has someway to relate to the author. I don't really know to much about the author so I cant compare the character and the author. The author is Brian Jacques.

I visited Mrs. Lubich's blog and posted a comment on Thanks and Giving. I am also posting this during the school day on 12/2/10 because, last night I tried to go on Landmarks Class Blogmeister and it did not work. Thanks!