teacher: Karen Gutsmiedl

Read the article on the website. Then, create a blog under your own name that explains and answers these questions by 3/8:

1. Bullying is a form of harrassment. It can be teasing by using verbal abuse, phisically hurting someone, or just making someone feel worthless.

2. Calling someone names, beating someone up, or even talking badly about someone behind their back is bullying. The victim will find out and when they will feel pathetic and worthless which will lower their self-esteem.

3. If you're a victim of bullying the easiest thing to do is tell an adult you trust. Don't try to hurt the bully as this will get you in trouble. Stand up to the bully and remember they are most likely bullying you because they have an extremely low self esteem and feelbad about themselves. Don't let it get to you either because things will get better!

4.If you see someone be bullied or have a friend who is bullied, tell an adult and help them stand up to the bully and to avoid the bully. When a bully sees a victim with a group of people, it's less likely for them to bully their victim. Also, don't bully people. How would you feel if you were in the victim's position? Bullying people doesn't help anyone and nowadays kids are commiting suicide because they are bullied so often to the point where they can't take it anymore. No one wants to feel worthless and pathetic so think before you act and if you see someone being bullied, help them out!

1.The book I am reading(re-reading) is Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. This book is the second book in the trilogy of The Hunger Games trilogy. This book is similar to the first Hunger Games book due to the similar plot, characters, and setting. Other than the similarities to the tw other books in the trilogy, this book is very unique and it's unlike any other book I've read before. This book is my favorite book from the trilogy.

2. This book had multiple cliff-hangers that kept you at the edge of your seat wanting to read more. There were many plot twists and surprises that'd shock you and I was at the point where I couldn't sleep at night because I was thinking of the book and I wanted to just keep reading it. I would definitely recommend this book, but I'd advise you to read the first book before, or else there will be spoilers.

3. This book is very gruesome due to the fact that The Hunger Games is a competition where you throw two kids from each district into an arena and the only way they can get out is if they kill everyone else. Being in the position the characters were in, I would've done the same thing; but I think the whole idea of The Hunger Games is sickening.

4. This book doesn't relate much to my life or world, but the characters go through many obstacles in the arena. In life, we always have many obstacles to overcome and it's what helps us grow as people. In the arena, the characters never come out as the same people (if they do come out) and The Hunger Games torture them to where they have been phased and will never look at the world the same way again. In life, we go through many changes and many perspectives of the world and we change as people, like the characters do.

Article posted February 2, 2012 at 02:39 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

"Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think this means that if someone is an enemy, if you give back hatred there won't be anything good happening between you two. Although, if you add love and if you are caring to an enemy; then they could eventually see you as a good person and could be friends. I can apply this to my own life because I have many friends, and I don't even think I have enemies. I think the main reason to this, is because I am not mean to people and I believe that everyone should feel good about themselves. It can easily make a positive change to someone attitude by changing their point of view on life, and when they see good being done to them; they'll in turn, be nice to enemies and it'd be a chain reaction of kindness. With this chain reaction, it'd make an impact on the world and we would all be nicer individuals and there could be less crime and injustice in the world.

Article posted January 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

Truth by Dr. Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadhyaya

Truth was there at the beginning of the beginning

Truth was there at beginning of the beginning of the beginning

What was true alone was there

And truth has persisted through the ages

Let change do whatever it can truth alone remains

Change has sprung from truth

For there was nothing else than truth

And change is its offspring

Or perhaps change is truth and truth was change

Change was at the beginning

Change was what is past

Change is what is now

Change is what will be in times to come

Change is Truth

Truth is Change

I welcome truth in every breath

Hail to thee Oh Death

text to text: This poem reminds me of a few books I've read, and in the books the story would question different things that happened in life and tried to find it's meaning.

text to self: One thing I believe is that everything in life happens for a reason, and you should take chances before they pass you up. This poem is saying how change will happen throughout life, and it's one thing we have to learn to accept because we can't do anything about change. I believe change is always for the best.

text to world: On Earth, there are many wars and tragedies that change history. Although we wish they didn't happen and change the world; they did. We can't change history and it's true although sometimes we wish it wasn't.

Article posted January 6, 2012 at 01:59 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

I think the group project went well and it was interesting to work with other students through the internet. I thought it was fun to work with students from Colorado and I think my group worked well together. It was a little hard to get messages across to the group members due to the fact that they have block scheduling and we don't. One of the problems I had when using the blog was that it was very difficult for me to edit, and I was only able to edit the page when I was at home. Another problem was that due to the fact that wikispaces.com is blocked, it was a lot harder to communicate without having some issue. Overall I think the wikipages turned out well and it was interesting to work with a group of people through the internet.

Article posted December 8, 2011 at 12:07 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

My favorite book I read this year would have to be Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. My favorite character is, and always has been Peeta. If I had to chose a character i despise, it is more like a group of people in a place. I despise the Capitol for what they do to the contestants in The Hunger Games. The Capitol looks at The Hunger Games as an enjoyment instead of realizing how many children die and how many people hate to watch them leave. The Capitol forces teenagers to fight each other until only one survives. The idea of kids being forced to kill each other as a form of enjoyment sickens me. If I were to change the people and leaders of the Capitol, I'd want them to be more of a group of leaders instead of heartless souls. I wouldn't want them to find kids killing each other enjoyment and I would want them to realize what people must go through, not only the people in The Hunger Games, but also the friends and families of them that are forced to watch their loved ones die or stay awake every night hoping they are okay. The Hunger Games emotionally tortures the contestants to where the winner will never be able to forget what happened. They don't have to go through that and they don't know what it is like to be forced to either kill someone in order to survive or to have to watch someone you love die. I believe most of the characters represent real people because they all are realistic and have very distinct personalities unlike any other character. Each character is unique and original. Suzanne Collins got the idea for The Hunger Games trilogy when she was flipping through channels. She saw images of the war in Iraq and different reality shows. The two images blended together and The Hunger Games was born. I believe that every character that has suffered, loved, or defied the leaders are similar to Suzanne Collins. The characters all show large amounts of human qualities that show pain, bravery, weakness, or intelligence. I think Suzanne Collins could be related to any character that was in or apart of The Hunger Games or tied to the revolution in some way.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 03:53 AM GMT • comment (8) • Reads 32

I am thankful for my friends, my family, and I am thankful that I'm lucky enough to live in America. Without my friends, I wouldn't be who I am and I know I can trust every single one of them. My friends are part of what makes my days so wonderful and they have helped me become more outgoing and have taught me not to care about what other people thought because they don't matter. I am thankful for my family because they will never leave me and always encourage my decisions and ideas. They have helped me my whole life and I can't imagine life without them. I am thankful to live in America for many reasons. When I think about it, there ar children in Africa who are starving right now and there are so many people in the world trying to break away from dictatorship and failing at becoming a free country. Also, there are actually people in our country who are willing to risk their lives in order to save our lives and to save our country.

Article posted November 17, 2011 at 03:59 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 34

"In order to grow as a writer,you've got to be willing to risk it all each time you sit down and write. You've got to be open and brave and curious."- Charles Ghinga

I agree with Charles Ghinga because if you don't think out of the box when you are writing or you don't use a large vocabulary, then your writing skills won't improve. These qualities could change your writing because when you write a story, without being creative and vivd, the reader wouldn't be as interested as they could. If you write a story and use vivid descriptions and you add more details, then the reader will want to keep reading and the reader would be interested with what you have to say. Also, writing with vivid vocabulary, intriguing detail, and an interesting plot will also teach your reader different writing skills they could use in the future.