Copyright (c) 2014 by Lisa S Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Lisa S -- Blogmeister

Lisa's Blog!

Period 3/4 2011

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Lisa S

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

PLUTO - the dwarf planet in our solar system

Pluto is a celestial body, a planet, which usually orbits beyond Neptune. Formerly classified as a planet, Pluto's much smaller size compared to the other planets has moved it into a "dwarf planet" category. 

Pluto was discovered in 1930 by accident. An error in calculations predicted a planet beyond Neptune, based on the motions of itself and Uranus. Clyde W. Tombaugh surveyed the sky, and despite the error, discovered pluto. 

Pluto is worth exploring because its great distance from Earth has inevitably caused little to be known about this dwarf plant orbiting beyond Neptune. Pluto is interesting because many of the known characteristics and facts about Pluto differ from those of most of the other planets in our solar system. 

Pluto was named after the god of the underworld in Roman mythology, Hades in Greek mythology. Pluto is smaller than seven of the moons in the solar system(our Moon, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Titan and Triton) A spacecraft called "New Horizons" was launched in January of 2006 and is expected to reach pluto in 2015, if all goes well. Pluto orbits in the opposite direction of most of the other planets. Charon, one of Pluto's moons, was not discovered until 1978. Depending on where pluto is from it's orbit, Pluto can range between 28 and 50 astronomical units from Earth. Another interesting fact about Pluto's orbit would be that sometimes Pluto is closer to the sun than Neptune, resulting in it's greatly varying distance from Earth. 

Want to learn more? Check out these links!

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

Article posted December 4, 2011 at 09:15 PM • comment (2) • Reads 225 • see all articles