Copyright (c) 2014 by Lisa S Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Lisa S -- Blogmeister

Lisa's Blog!

Period 3/4 2011

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Lisa S

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

Article posted January 17, 2012 at 02:08 AM GMT0 • comment (6) • Reads 126

Global warming? Myth? NO!

You might not agree to everything I'm about to say, but with factual information I will back myself up. Global warning - it's happening. One major question surrounding the issue of global warming is whether or not we're the cause. Well, are we? Humans are responsible for the change in temperature because of the emissions of GREENHOUSE GASSES. Many gasses are greenhouse gasses, and they trap the heat in our atmosphere. Carbon dioxide and methane are both greenhouse gasses; carbon dioxide is emitted by the use of fossil fuels, and methane is emitted from the use of coal, natural gas and oil. Methane is also emitted from livestock, and you KNOW what I'm talking about here, so there's no need to say it. 

WORST OF ALL, GREENHOUSE GASSES ARE EXPECTED TO RISE. (If that's unclear, it means global warming will increase as well)

FACT: The last two decades were the hottest in 400 years.

If we keep this up...

1. In the summer of 2040 or earlier, the arctic may be ICE FREE.

2. There may be an increase in extreme weather events... notice these things lately? GLOBAL WARMING IS THE PROBLEM! 

3. We may be heading towards water shortages, even in the United States!

A lot can happen if we're not careful about the global situation! Humans are to blame for the catastrophe we're headed towards, and we have to fix the situation before it's too late! 

Sources: 

http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/12/1206_041206_global_warming.html

Article posted December 5, 2011 at 03:15 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 153

PLUTO - the dwarf planet in our solar system

Pluto is a celestial body, a planet, which usually orbits beyond Neptune. Formerly classified as a planet, Pluto's much smaller size compared to the other planets has moved it into a "dwarf planet" category. 

Pluto was discovered in 1930 by accident. An error in calculations predicted a planet beyond Neptune, based on the motions of itself and Uranus. Clyde W. Tombaugh surveyed the sky, and despite the error, discovered pluto. 

Pluto is worth exploring because its great distance from Earth has inevitably caused little to be known about this dwarf plant orbiting beyond Neptune. Pluto is interesting because many of the known characteristics and facts about Pluto differ from those of most of the other planets in our solar system. 

Pluto was named after the god of the underworld in Roman mythology, Hades in Greek mythology. Pluto is smaller than seven of the moons in the solar system(our Moon, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Titan and Triton) A spacecraft called "New Horizons" was launched in January of 2006 and is expected to reach pluto in 2015, if all goes well. Pluto orbits in the opposite direction of most of the other planets. Charon, one of Pluto's moons, was not discovered until 1978. Depending on where pluto is from it's orbit, Pluto can range between 28 and 50 astronomical units from Earth. Another interesting fact about Pluto's orbit would be that sometimes Pluto is closer to the sun than Neptune, resulting in it's greatly varying distance from Earth. 

Article posted November 14, 2011 at 12:45 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 47

This is a picture of a solar eclipse. There's really no purpose for this image; I just think it looks cool 

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 01:46 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 46

This time-lapse was shot around the time of the Winter Solstice in Alaska. Imagine what it would be like here if the sun set at 2:47PM in late December. Watch to the end because you'll see the sun set. The azimuth's are mentioned, as well.

Article posted October 23, 2011 at 05:49 PM GMT0 • comment (11) • Reads 85

Hello!  (cool, I found the smiley faces!) 

This is my third time writing this introduction for my blog.  You know why? The first two times I went to add a picture to my finished introduction and facts about myself, but I went to backspace the text in the box you get when you're trying to add a picture, and it goes back to the page saying, "enter text for your blog here!" or something of that nature. So, here's what I decided. I'm doing the two separately, so I don't smash my computer against the wall out of frustration.  I've wasted a half hour re-writing a blog post that I spent 15 minutes on the first time, only for it to be deleted a second time. I'll try to sum up exactly what the first two said. So... here you go. I'm going to use this blog to my full nerd-ability because I'm proud of my nerd-ness. (Is that even a word?)  Oh great, now I can't use that for a fact. If you're even still awake, I'll try not to bore you to death and wrap up this mediocre introduction, but enjoy my blog, if you take the time to read it. Have a nice day! 

You know what? I'll do the facts about myself here too. 

1) I have an extreme tolerance for spicy food... [insert picture of pepper wearing a sombrero here]

2) ... and sour candy. [insert picture of cartoon person with a contorted mouth and a brain sticking out of their head]

3) I type at about 80-100 WPM. Very general, I know. [insert cheesy joke about two keys on a keyboard... "meet you at the space bar!"]

4) I need to work when there's background noise, so school environment works for me. Homework is a killer. [insert a "homework" killer...wow...]

5) I need to read in absolute silence or I'll learn absolutely nothing. [insert picture of earplugs]

6) I get bored very very very easily. [insert person sleeping on homework]

7) ... therefore, I am always bored. [same image?]

OKAY! Those were 7 facts about me. Adios / Au revoir / Goodbye!