Copyright (c) 2014 by Rebecca K Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Rebecca K -- Blogmeister

Period 3/4 2011

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Rebecca K

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 03:35 AM GMT0 • comment (6) • Reads 163

Global warming is when the hot weather causes glaciers to melt and seawater levels to rise. In my opinion, I think that the humans caused global warming. The use of vehicles, factories, and electricity release heat trapping gases called greenhouse gases. These greenhouse gases keep the heat from leaving like a regular greenhouse. After the level of greenhouse gases were rising, it slowly became constant but soon enough, the use of fossil fuels are increasing the level of greenhouse gases and it is making the world warmer and making the world a different place. The industry became more advanced and used more fossil fuels and it increased the amount of carbon dioxide.

Humans ride their car and they make new products and they also use fossil fuels for this. The gas most responsible is carbon dioxide and we breathe it out. But the things we do make it worse. Polar bears are becoming extinct due to the ice disappearing. Ice is melting everywhere and the sea level rise became faster over the last century. Many animals migrated to the north or cooler areas due to the warmth of the area they lived in. If this continues, sea levels will increase, animals will be migrating to places they’ve never been before, there will be more natural disasters, and it is likely that there might be more disease. My theory is that humans caused global warming since humans are the ones that made the industry use more fossil fuels and make the world warmer.

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

Article posted December 6, 2011 at 03:10 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 396

I chose the Supergiant Stars. I chose them because they look really big and humongous and I've never seen anything like that before. Once I saw Sirius A which is one of those big stars, I was soooo suprised! I didn't think there was anything bigger than the sun. (Well I did but I never really compared it to the sun^^)A Supergiant is 100-1000 times more LARGER than the sun! :O Did you know that they only come in the colors blue or red? And they're the most massive stars out there! They have short lifespans since they're so big and massive and a supernova would probably occur after a while. The VY Canis Majoris (one of the monsters on the Supergiants) is so big that it would be able to engulf the rings of Saturn!! So scary! It is said that one of the Supergiant stars, the Betelgeuse, is around 180-1300 light years away from the sun! KamChing Leung studied binary stars and him and his friends were the first ones to find some new 20-30 binary stars. He was the first to describe the opposite of the way paired stars are supposed to behave. He called this reverse Algol. He made the observation that supergiant stars are stars, despite their distance from each other, have become so huge and that they will interact and soon become stars that revolve one another like binary stars. To learn more about these SUPERGIANT STARS, visit this website! -[LINK] (www.universetoday.com) ^^; thanks for reading this! :) I hope this wasn't too boring! Don't worry! More dorkiness coming up!

Article posted December 6, 2011 at 03:10 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 175

Article posted October 24, 2011 at 11:33 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 89

Hiiii, I'm Rebecca and I'm in Mr.Ullrich's Earth Science Class. I am not a science type of person because I get distracted easily. A lot of people call me Rebby :p I think I got that nickname in elementary school. I told someone in 6th grade my nickname and they spread it and now it's kind of used a lot. :) I don't have much favorites at all but I'm Korean and I'm proud :D I absolutely love korean pop music. I recently went to a concert and I LOVED IT. There's nothing I love more than Kpop or music in general.

Enjoy my blogg! :)

Article posted October 24, 2011 at 11:31 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 116

Enjoy my blogg! :)